Just got home from a Verizon Store

EJNelly

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Playing with the iPhone 4 and a few of the Android devices I came to the realization that I made the right decision in purchasing the Trophy. I used to think the iPhone navigated smoothly, but after playing with a demo my Trophy is so much faster and smoother at navigating. The icons covering up the screen on both operating systems just feels overwhelming and looks like a cluster f**k.

On a side note they had no Trophy on display, but they did show one on a poster with the Xperia Play (which they also had no display of). They had 4 iPhone 4's on display, 2 Revolutions, 2 Thunderbolts, 2 Charges, 1 Droid Incredible 2, 1 Droid Pro, 1 Droid 2, and several other non-smart phone devices. When a rep heard I had a Trophy he responded "That's Windows Phone 7, right?"

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
TBH i think it's the 'Windows on a phone' stigma and bad 'Windows Mobile' memories that is WP7's problem, the OS is great and i really do think it's 'Windows' that's standing in the way of its success, if they had've called it 'XBox Phone' (ok maybe not that :p) or something other than 'Windows' I reckon they'd be in a different position.

EDIT: oh also the '7' which makes it seem like it's the next version of Windows Mobile - after 6.5 - rather than a completely new and different OS.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
That is why I think MS should of had another name for it. Plus unless MS can do something with sales reps this OS that we like so much will not go anywhere. they don't show it. they down it. they try to turn folks away from it. the cards are stacked.

SolarPlexus

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I understand WHY they named it Windows phone. But I don't agree with it. Zune Phone maybe? I dunno.
I work with a guy who sticks with Blackberry. I used to have one and we shared info. I told him I was going to the Arrive he said Windows on a phone is horrible and he will never ever do it again. Of course he was referring to a WM 6 phone. I showed him my Arrive and he refused to even give it a shot simply because of the Windows name. Shame.

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Maybe the WP7 tattletail site should have been a community vote of what MS should rename WP7 to to avoid comparison to any previous attempts.

sandmanfvr

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Had my HTC Arrive for like 2 days now, loving it more and more. I see minor issues, but mango will fix them. I mean this thing is fast, smooth, great battery and I can't get over how "high end" it is. Fantastic high res display, horepower under the hood etc. WP7 for me now on and I have used ios, webos, blackberry and android.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
First off, Microsoft has officially removed the 7 from Windows Phone and we should all get used that. Second, if someone won't even acknowledge a Windows Phone, because the word "Windows" is in it, they are nothing more than narrow minded subborn asses. So let them keep their inferior phone. They deserve each other.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

tiny

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I agree that they should have named it something else. The name will hurt it a little, but really, a little education will go a long way. Aside from that, we need more devices and form factors on each carrier.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm definitely convinced that it was a mistake to use the word Windows. Most of the reps out there still don't understand the difference between Windows Phone and Windows Mobile, and it's not hard to see why.

When I talked to a Verizon sales rep on the phone and told him I wanted to order the Trophy he warned me about the last "Windows Phone" they had (I think it was the LG Fathom) and how many problems it had. I tried to explain the difference to him but he just went on to tell me how much he loved his Thunderbolt. Although he did say that the battery life was horrible, which made me laugh.

Bottom line is, if reps don't even know the difference, then the average consumer is definitely not going to know.

I think they should just call the OS "Mango". Simple and easy to remember. Renaming it at this point may cause a little confusion but adoption is not high yet and I think it would help in the long run.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Second, if someone won't even acknowledge a Windows Phone, because the word "Windows" is in it, they are nothing more than narrow minded subborn asses. So let them keep their inferior phone. They deserve each other.

This attitude is all well and good, except for when it's the vast, vast majority of the opportunity size.

And it is.

ericreinhardt

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Listen to be honest I have wanted the new windows phone since they started talking about it but my problem was Verizon. I went ahead and bought the iphone when it came to Verizon in Feb. The Iphone is a great phone and os but i have always been a pc/windows guy. So when the Trophy came out on Verizon I used my wifes upgrade and sold the iphone which paid a few bills. I have never been happier. I think word is spreading about this phone just give it some time. When I did go to Verizon to check it out the sales rep did say they did a great job with this phone and that they had something with the new windows phone. Everything is Android this Android that but I had an Android and it was just so laggy it felt like it was made in a garage. Rushed I guess is a better word. I like the underdog and Windows Phone is a underdog but it is gaining some. Let me tell alot of people are saying that Verizon should be selling a better windows phone but i think the Trophy is a perfect Windows Phone and priced just right. Just my 2 cents.

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
This all reminds me of when rumors started swirling that Microsoft was jumping into the video game console market back in '99. Everyone I talk to was like, "WTF?", and now it's the number one console in America and a heavy weight around the world. While the Xbox doesn't carry the Windows moniker, everyone knew/knows that it's a Microsoft product, which in large part is what carries the negativity more so than the Windows moniker.

Windows Phone 7 could have been called anything, but once it's known that it's a Microsoft product, people would still hold that against the phone. Personally, I believe this will all be moot by the end of 2012. With Nokia spearheading the higher end market, I'm sure other companies will follow suit. This will then add a slew of highly desirable phones that is currently lacking in the general public's eye!

wreed

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Maybe instead of Windows Phone is should have just been Microsoft Phone or a knock against iPhone and went mPhone lol.

I definitely see what you mean Vallos, that is 100% on the mark!

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
TBH i think it's the 'Windows on a phone' stigma and bad 'Windows Mobile' memories that is WP7's problem, the OS is great and i really do think it's 'Windows' that's standing in the way of its success, if they had've called it 'XBox Phone' (ok maybe not that :p) or something other than 'Windows' I reckon they'd be in a different position.

EDIT: oh also the '7' which makes it seem like it's the next version of Windows Mobile - after 6.5 - rather than a completely new and different OS.

I stated this in another thread and got ripped a new one and LOLed at. Needless to say, I agree with you. If they called it Zune Phone, Metro OS, or something like that, it would be seen as something fresh and new. The name Windows carries around a lot of baggage... back to Windows 3.1 for many people.

jeffa00

Dec 2, 2010
galacticbeacon.com
First off, Microsoft has officially removed the 7 from Windows Phone and we should all get used that. Second, if someone won't even acknowledge a Windows Phone, because the word "Windows" is in it, they are nothing more than narrow minded subborn asses. So let them keep their inferior phone. They deserve each other.

So the original name at launch was "Windows Phone 7 Series".

Everyone hated the name so it became "Windows Phone 7".

NEXT!

"Windows Phone"

So if everyone hates the name Windows on there does it become "Phone"?

;-)

Zune was not a successful brand, so I wouldn't go that route.

XBox is their most successful consumer brand, I'd say, so if I had to tie the phone's name to an existing brand I'd go for... wait for it... "xPhone". Problem there is it sounds like it used to be a phone. "I got an xPhone!." "Ex phone? What is it now? A PDA?"

Oddly enough in true Microsoft fashion, the code name is actually quite catchy. Would you buy a "Mango Phone"? Much more likely than a "Windows Phone".

Nothing says, "young, hip and fun" like "Windows" and "Excel". At the mall I often hear the young people saying things like "Yo, dawg! Check out the trippin' pivot table I made with macros to pull data from my databazizzle!"

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
This attitude is all well and good, except for when it's the vast, vast majority of the opportunity size.

And it is.
Understood. But the best of anything has a tendency to float to the top. Got my popcorn and a comfortable chair, so I am going to sit back and watch how this plays out.

If WP only garners 3% of existing smartphone users, but picks up 33-50% of new smartphone users by Q1 2012, I will be a happy camper. The hardheads will never be swayed but the rest will eventually come around. Resistance is futile.

UpTownDC

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I purchased my HTC HD7 from a T-Mobile store in the DC area on launch day. The reps all were saying "why are you getting that? Look at this Droid"!! Well I know quite a few of the reps... after showing them what the phone can do...I convinced 3 of the reps and they now are sporting HD7's!! The OS is smooth and fast!! I haven't had any issues with this phone. Yes some things could have been done better and some of those issues will be addressed with "Mango". I have had Blackberry's, Iphones but nothing can touch my Windows Phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos