I want a wp7. Verizon or ATT?

jiffffy pop

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I currently have a htc droid eris and it has got to be the worst phone ever. At the time it was the new hotness and to me the new hotness is wp7. My current contract with Verizon is up in November but I can get an upgrade in August. I have an unlimited data plan for $25. If I upgrade with Verizon I can keep my unlimited plan. But here is an option with at&t. I currently subscribe to u verse and if I combine my bills it will save me money. On top of that I can get an 18% monthly discount through my work. Verizon's reception is good when I am outside of my apartment but once I step inside its hard to get a signal. I have friends who have at&t and they get full bars in my apartment. I am looking for suggestions if i should keep Verizon or go with at&t. Thanks guys!

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Are you wanting to do it now? If so, ATT and Samsung Focus.

Are you wanting to wait until November? If so, who knows what phone will be out then and what you should get!

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Well, if you get better coverage with ATT and a better price, I think the choice is obvious.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Yeah... like Kebero said, the choice is obvious, phone choice aside. SERVICE FIRST!

IMO, the Focus is the best WP7 device out in the U.S., so you'll get service + a good phone.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Unlimited data on Verizon is going to be ending, rumors say as early as July. If you re-up your contract there's a good chance you won't get the unlimited data. So I wouldn't factor that into your decision.

donovan1983

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you'll get both better service and better pricing with AT&T, so definitely looks like the way to go. I had the Focus for the time I was tying out AT&T (had coverage issues, unfortunately) and it's a fantastic device. There might also be some new devices out by the time you switch, if you decide to do so.

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Based on your summary, the only thing you would be losing by switching to AT&T will be your unlimited data plan. So if you can live with 2G for $25 then make the switch. As long as you have access to WiFi for the real heavy stuff (streaming) then you should be fine with the cap.

If you can hold off till November to see what new devices are available, probably at $199 for at least the first few months, then do that. Or, go look at the 4 WP devices currently being offered by AT&T and try to snag one with a new contract for 0.01. Then after the smoke clears on the new batch of devices, decide exactly what you want, maybe next January-February, and buy it off contract. Sell your first WP for $100-150, so net-net you might wind up spending an extra $100 but you will have two new phones in 6 months and won't have to be pressured into making any decisions. I know I couldn't want till November to get a WP (got mine on launch day). Something to think about.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm laughing my *** off at everyone saying that ATT has better service! Lol Verizon has better service but they want your arm and both legs for it.

sandmanfvr

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I would say, choice 3: Sprint. Same coverage as Verizon (almost the same), cheapest plans and you roam on Verizon for free and still unlimited on smart phones. But if you ask about Verizon or AT&T, definitely Verizon.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
But the OP stated: he gets better coverage at his home with AT&T, he gets a corporate discount and will save additional dollars by combining services on AT&T. No one is arguing who the best carrier is but in this case, based on the facts, AT&T is the logical choice.

And while new devices may start to get announced around August/September, I don't expect to see them till October/November, which is a long wait. Plus I might want to wait a bit to see all the offerings from all the OEMs before making a decision.

So my advice is go out and get a WP on AT&T on July 1st. With a month left on your contract with Verizon, not even sure if there would be any ETF. Or wait till January (I couldn't) and pick a phone from the new crop.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
But the OP stated: he gets better coverage at his home with AT&T, he gets a corporate discount and will save additional dollars by combining services on AT&T. No one is arguing who the best carrier is but in this case, based on the facts, AT&T is the logical choice.

exactly.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I have unlimited data on my phone for 59 bucks. But is hard to find stable 3G and I can't send or receive multimedia messages nor use the web when I calling =(.

jiffffy pop

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for everybody's input. I guess I'm going to wait till my current contract expires with Verizon and go with AT&T. I hope by then the Nokia WP7s are out. They look really nice. My friend just got the HTC Arrive with Sprint and he loves it. Now the hard part is waiting.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
That isn't always the case. For example, when I ported out, my contract end date was May 20th, but my NE2 was in the fall.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
dude, t-mobile all the way... hd7 is the best wp7 phone out... the samsung focus has a better screen but will take forever on updates when they start rolling... i hate samsung now, and thats all i used to buy. but after being stuck on android 2.1 with the fascinate for almost a year, i gave up. if nothing else go with a dell venue pro, it is a t-mobile phone as well and also has a super amoled screen... plus at&t just bought t-mobile, so this time next year we will be the largest and most reliable service provider out there, with verizon at number two... i was with verizon for ten years, and trust me when i say they will rob you. constantly changing data plans, upgrade eligbility, and throttleing your data speeds... far too over priced! and all they want to do is brand all their phones with a big verizon logo and far too much vcast bloatware... i spent 600 to cancell two lines, switched to tmobile and man am i glad...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster