Wp7 get NO love

DontHate707

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Wp7 gets NO love

all becuz its not the "i" device and becuz ppl think its a ms device it sucks its really annoying.
honestly other os's either work differently have some more functionality or just have more apps.
i cant stand that ppl wont give it a chance. my arrive is the best phone ive owned and can easily compete with a iphone 4 or nexus s.
ill be first to admit android and ios are a little better but mango is a sign ms is out to be different and innovative.
at&t sprint verizon reps alllll either say get a droid or iPhone.
my friend tried to go get a new phone becuz his iphone 4 went for a swim and he was just trying to replace his iphone until the new one comes out. he went into at&t looking at a focus or quantum the rep helping him said moving from the iphone to wimdows would be dumb and he wouldnt like it and that the os sucked. my friend then told me this and wondered why i got one i told him getting a phone nowadays is all about preference theres going to be a new phone out every week stronger then the one you just got. to me gong with windows phone is smart for the future ms has huge plans with this and its ecosystem and im willing to wait on the dual core and the next feature apple takes and put a "i" in front of it to make mainstream.
not to mention the n9 the new meego device for nokia critics/fanboys are really saying its better then wp7 and that this should be there main os and that this is the future to me i wasnt that impressed dont get me wrong some of the things ive seen were nice but most of the features androids and iphone have and can do nicer and wp7 will have soon?
critically nobody gives wp7 team credit they usually are like "yes its nice but its not enough blah blah whatever" its been a year you d*cks...

srry for the rant i just recognize potential and the greatness of windows phone 7

condemned

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I agree.

I know a lot of naive people who think WP7 is just like WM. WP7 is definitely one of the top mobile platforms right now but I think what's really affecting its sales is how late it came into the game and how little marketing it gets. Carriers keep pushing Android, iPhone, and even BB but not enough WP7.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I just wonder why do so many people take the advice of sales reps? Can we be the only ones who have known for years that these guys dont know what the heck they are talking about? If your friend, who you actually KNOW tells you something is good wont you at least check it out rather than blindly listening to some undertrained salesman?

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
all becuz its not the "i" device and becuz ppl think its a ms device it sucks its really annoying.
honestly other os's either work differently have some more functionality or just have more apps.
i cant stand that ppl wont give it a chance. my arrive is the best phone ive owned and can easily compete with a iphone 4 or nexus s.
ill be first to admit android and ios are a little better but mango is a sign ms is out to be different and innovative.
at&t sprint verizon reps alllll either say get a droid or iPhone.
my friend tried to go get a new phone becuz his iphone 4 went for a swim and he was just trying to replace his iphone until the new one comes out. he went into at&t looking at a focus or quantum the rep helping him said moving from the iphone to wimdows would be dumb and he wouldnt like it and that the os sucked. my friend then told me this and wondered why i got one i told him getting a phone nowadays is all about preference theres going to be a new phone out every week stronger then the one you just got. to me gong with windows phone is smart for the future ms has huge plans with this and its ecosystem and im willing to wait on the dual core and the next feature apple takes and put a "i" in front of it to make mainstream.
not to mention the n9 the new meego device for nokia critics/fanboys are really saying its better then wp7 and that this should be there main os and that this is the future to me i wasnt that impressed dont get me wrong some of the things ive seen were nice but most of the features androids and iphone have and can do nicer and wp7 will have soon?
critically nobody gives wp7 team credit they usually are like "yes its nice but its not enough blah blah whatever" its been a year you d*cks...

srry for the rant i just recognize potential and the greatness of windows phone 7
Preach it! Brotha preach it!!! Damn I totally know what you mean. Lol

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I just wonder why do so many people take the advice of sales reps? Can we be the only ones who have known for years that these guys dont know what the heck they are talking about? If your friend, who you actually KNOW tells you something is good wont you at least check it out rather than blindly listening to some undertrained salesman?
Yeah, this is what boggles me... It'd be nice to know people (especially friends) think your words are worth more than the air you used to say them.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Salesman are in a position of power. I used to say all kinds of BS so people buy me stuff at my job but then decided that being truly sincere and to the point make people more happy to buy the stuff.

I also make sure the people touch the stuff, play with it, then they see if it fit them. I hate buying laptops because of this.

EJNelly

May 12, 2011
Visit site
As salesperson I cringe everytime someone walks in and asks me what they should buy. I'm not going to steer them wrong, but a lot of people will. Given the lack of knowledge and fanboyism of many of a lot of people I've worked with, this is the worst way to find the right device to fit your needs and wants.

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I agree.

I know a lot of naive people who think WP7 is just like WM. WP7 is definitely one of the top mobile platforms right now but I think what's really affecting its sales is how late it came into the game and how little marketing it gets. Carriers keep pushing Android, iPhone, and even BB but not enough WP7.

Marketing is not the problem. The problem is that the Apple distortion field is constantly growing.

ikkf

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
The Wp7 situation kinda reminds me of what the Batman movie franchise was in when Christopher Nolan's excellent 'Batman Begins' came out in '05. Casual moviegoers who don't follow movie news closely still had Joel Schumacher's atrocious 'Batman & Robin' in their minds, and this prevented Batman Begins from generating more box office sales than it could have, though it still made a strong $200MM+ domestically.

A funny thing happened after BB finished its theatrical run. After people who missed it in the theaters watched it on DVD and cable, word of mouth spread far and wide, and that helped lead up to the huge hit that was 'The Dark Knight.' Heath Ledger, of course, was the special 'Chemical X' that made it so massive, but if BB hadn't been so good, TDK wouldn't have been the success that it was.

We might be looking at the current WP7/NoDo iteration as Microsoft's Batman Begins, with people still associating Windows Mobile with the brand. Once they finally realize that Microsoft has completely 'rebooted' the product, we could be seeing Mango or future versions as their Dark Knight. At least that's my hope. Wp7 is just too good a product not to be a big hit.

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
We might be looking at the current WP7/NoDo iteration as Microsoft's Batman Begins, with people still associating Windows Mobile with the brand. Once they finally realize that Microsoft has completely 'rebooted' the product, we could be seeing Mango or future versions as their Dark Knight. At least that's my hope. Wp7 is just too good a product not to be a big hit.

Excellent analogy!

It is a good product, it just needs a little more time, traction and reach. There are still too many unsupported countries, where people would love to get WP7.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Seems like this thread pops up every week or so now.

It's unfortunate that people still put so much faith in the word salespeople when we have this thing called the web, but it happens.

With regards to Windows Phone specifically, we need to realize a hard truth -- it's not at parity yet with Android or iPhone. If someone's coming from an iPhone 3G/3GS or an older/lower end Android phone, they'll get a nice boost in hardware and overall performance with any Windows Phone, but there's still the lack of apps in the Windows Marketplace, and in some cases functionality in those apps compared to iOS or Android versions. Even if a sales rep is a Windows Phone fan, it makes it a harder sell. There's also the fact that Microsoft isn't the darling of the public like Google or Apple, and even if it were in a better position, the public largely doesn't know about the phone. I don't expect Microsoft to start really pushing it until late this year around Mango.

I love Windows Phone and know it's the best mobile platform for me. However, it takes much more than being the best to change opinion.

In the meantime, I'll continue showing off the phone when appropriate. Just the other day at work, we decided to order Chinese. I really didn't feel like jumping out of whatever app I was in to get to the dialer, so I held down the Windows key for a second, said "dial" and then the number, and it dialed it. A bit geeky, but whatever, it impressed and for what it's worth I use voice dialing from my passcode-enabled lock screen all the time now. So good.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I use voice dialing from my passcode-enabled lock screen all the time now. So good.
How the **** do you do that? When I hold the start key down my lockscreen just "bounces" so to speak, obviously hinting me to unlock it...

Edit: nevermind I forgot to enable it in the settings lol.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I was talking to one of my good friends about this. I told her "why don't you push windows phone... why are you always selling iOS or Android" and her response was "how do you know"

I told her that I prefer wp and she was shocked. She knows I get every hot device that comes out on at&t (and now Sprint). I explained my reasons and she did give me some good feedback in which she did have a point.

- The Focus is the only one that has expandable memory and even then needs a certain media card to work. I mentioned Zune Pass and she said she can barely get customers to get the data plan and then since they more than likely won't want to pay per month (or intervals) for music, they rather load all their music onto a media card, the device or even cloud services like iOS is releasing or that Google has with Google Music.

- Device options. She knows I will never go back to keyboard (that isn't a BlackBerry) and she has a point. Aside from AT&T, if I'm on the other carriers, their isn't much choice. I may want a full touchscreen and only have keyboard options (arrive, trophy) or may want a keyboard option and only have a touchscreen (HD7).

- No front facing cam. A lot of families want to use the video calling feature now and it's a easier sell for any rep when they're looking to communicate.

- App selection. She asked what app I wanted and didn't have. I told her Chase banking app and she stated that's usually the case with her customers. There is usually an app that they need/want and don't have access to on wp.

- Turn by turn navigation. People know Google Navigation works well and is free. They don't want to pay for AT&T Navigation for $10/mo when their is a free option.

- Gamers. I told her how about xbox live gamers and she said a lot of them actually want Android (even over iOS) because of the dual-core procs and they 'believe' the device performs better with dual-cores and better GPUs.

After all this, I told her about Mango, just a taste and she wanted to know more. I'm gonna send her info on this so she can keep her reps informed (she runs one of the top AT&T stores in the U.S.) and she said she'll look into it.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Aside from Turn by Turn navigation, All those concerns don't apply to me, so I guess I didn't pay much attention to what it needs before more can adapt to it.

I think the Mango update will do that and I can't wait.

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Coming from Nokia, I do miss two things (as mentioned above): Ovi Maps and WhatsApp messaging.

I believe both should get fixed soon enough after Mango and Nokia make their appearance in the WP7 scene later this year.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
@duvi: It is a shame that Microsoft does not do more to promote Zune. Yes, data plans are cost is prohibitive, and after I got my WP in November I never thought I would have any interest in Zune Pass. I downloaded the trial and a couple days later a few friends (accomplished, published musicians) were talking about some artist. Within 30 seconds I had an album streaming out of my Surround speaker, with the kickstand setup on the counter. They (iPhone users) were impressed to say the least. Signed up that night.

If you pay for a full year it's $12.50 a month, minus $9.90 (10 DRM free tracks), or $2.60 a month to stream anywhere, anytime. If you normally purchase any music online, it is the best deal anywhere. Every month I convert downloaded tracks to DRM free, download the art and burn a few CDs for the car, home stereo, etc. Smart DJ is going to make Zune Pass even better. I have no regrets and will sacrifice other things to maintain my subscription. It's simply that good.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
@duvi: It is a shame that Microsoft does not do more to promote Zune. Yes, data plans are cost is prohibitive, and after I got my WP in November I never thought I would have any interest in Zune Pass. I downloaded the trial and a couple days later a few friends (accomplished, published musicians) were talking about some artist. Within 30 seconds I had an album streaming out of my Surround speaker, with the kickstand setup on the counter. They (iPhone users) were impressed to say the least. Signed up that night.

If you pay for a full year it's $12.50 a month, minus $9.90 (10 DRM free tracks), or $2.60 a month to stream anywhere, anytime. If you normally purchase any music online, it is the best deal anywhere. Every month I convert downloaded tracks to DRM free, download the art and burn a few CDs for the car, home stereo, etc. Smart DJ is going to make Zune Pass even better. I have no regrets and will sacrifice other things to maintain my subscription. It's simply that good.

There is only so much MS can do. There are people that will not and do not and can not pay that extra $10/mo for music they probably get for free or won't listen to on a consistent basis to justify that extra $10 they're paying.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
There is only so much MS can do. There are people that will not and do not and can not pay that extra $10/mo for music they probably get for free or won't listen to on a consistent basis to justify that extra $10 they're paying.
Understood. Just feel it's an important (optional) feature that should be pointed out. Lots of emphasis is placed on apps, and a good number of those are not free. Same for XBox games.

Oh, and the second time Board Express double posted in a week. Damn.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs