Where's the Clock/Timer?

Vector555

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft has a 1st party weather app with Live Tile in the Marketplace.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/apps/ace44e54-1dd8-df11-a844-00237de2db9e

It's comparable to the iOS 4 Weather app in capabilities.

Not gonna comment on the Facebook stuff... ...

Actually, that Weather app doesn't have a live tile. Which makes it virtually the same as the iPhone weather app. It just tells you the weather through an app. What I do like about this app though is the tile is a different shade of whatever accent you chose. Wish more tiles used this technique to offer more color on the home screen without it being a rainbow.

podsnap

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm with jimski to a point. Some see a timer as simple and essential. Other's like me would never use it.

I don't want the OS to be bloated out with things it doesn't need. If MS catered for everyones opinion of what was essential than the OS would be slow and unwieldy.

There are things I think are essential that aren't there. For example, why have a compass built into the phone if you don't then have a native app.

But I'm happy that there are several good apps out there to cover these 'missing' features.

I'm also with firebrewd though, I really wish some of these app developers would follow Metro more and stop trying to be clever and adding naff graphics.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm with jimski to a point. Some see a timer as simple and essential. Other's like me would never use it.

I don't want the OS to be bloated out with things it doesn't need. If MS catered for everyones opinion of what was essential than the OS would be slow and unwieldy.

There are things I think are essential that aren't there. For example, why have a compass built into the phone if you don't then have a native app.

But I'm happy that there are several good apps out there to cover these 'missing' features.

I'm also with firebrewd though, I really wish some of these app developers would follow Metro more and stop trying to be clever and adding naff graphics.

Sorry but that's excuses. There is no reason Microsoft couldn't have come out with beautiful stock Metro utility apps(world clock, calculator, compass, calendar). No excuses at all. More stock apps != bloat or degraded performance. It just means more value out of the box.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Sorry but that's excuses. There is no reason Microsoft couldn't have come out with beautiful stock Metro utility apps(world clock, calculator, compass, calendar). No excuses at all. More stock apps != bloat or degraded performance. It just means more value out of the box.

What are you talking about?

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm all for the "Alarm" being renamed to "Clock" and given the extra features that are required. World times, stopwatch, and timer are really quite basic. :)

At present I use "Super Timer". It's a decent quality app.

martin_strahilovski

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm all for the "Alarm" being renamed to "Clock" and given the extra features that are required. World times, stopwatch, and timer are really quite basic. :)

At present I use "Super Timer". It's a decent quality app.

It's a decent app, but MS should have this feature build in with a nice Metro UI app. And the lack of official Mango compass app... :)

firebrewd

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I wish I had the time to learn how to code for WP7. I'm a graphic designer, and I completely understand the idea, metaphors and visual language of Metro UI, so if I knew, I could replicate native apps from the outside icon (which way too many third party apps suck at, replicating iOS, or worse, Android) to the icons and transitions inside the app. Maybe someone interested in collaborating? ;)

martin_strahilovski

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I wish I had the time to learn how to code for WP7. I'm a graphic designer, and I completely understand the idea, metaphors and visual language of Metro UI, so if I knew, I could replicate native apps from the outside icon (which way too many third party apps suck at, replicating iOS, or worse, Android) to the icons and transitions inside the app. Maybe someone interested in collaborating? ;)

If you want to create your own apps, you should check the link below. I hope you'll make great apps :)

How to create a Windows Phone 7 app from scratch (Update 1: Resources) - Ubelly

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site

So give everybody something that only some people need? I never needed world clock or a timer so I am glad I don't have those apps that won't be used by me and eat up my memory. Also... there is a calculator and calendar built into every WP7 device so I am not sure what you are talking about there.

My Radar doesn't have a compass built in so I guess it doesn't really matter for me. I don't really explore caves anyways and I can tell which way is which day or night if I am outside so I am good there too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiuniuz