Engadget's Mango preview (Massive)

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Engadget has been loving WP7 and Mango. Where's the hate. I'd rather look at an outside source instead of a Windows fan site, for an non-bias review.
See no reason why an engadget review, especially one with so many inaccuracies that shows the author knows nothing about the OS, is being highlighted. Wpcentral and particularly pocketnow's reviews are far better. Lets stop giving these MS haters so much credit.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Engadget has been loving WP7 and Mango. Where's the hate. I'd rather look at an outside source instead of a Windows fan site, for an non-bias review.

Engadget has been dismissive of WP7 since its launch, and the end of this review that claims WP7 is merely "catching up" and completely downplays all the new features Mango brings like Local scout, the full integration of Facebook and Twitter, Threads, the enhanced Me tile, bing extras. The bias is honey-coated but its there, constantly. And if a reviewer doesnt even know that Live tiles have been available since the OS launch how valid are his conclusions? And you only have to read any MS related story on that site to come across veiled barbs at Microsoft.

Spyral

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site

'Engadget' and 'non-bias' are not words that I would put together.

When Engadget posted their WP7 review in October they actually went out of their way to showcase the buggy nature of certain Windows Phone apps.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Truth hurts, you scared go to church. LOL

When Engadget posted their WP7 review in October they actually went out of their way to showcase the buggy nature of certain Windows Phone apps.

Dark Mirage

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

As they should have? I'm glad someone went out of their way to publish a comprehensive article and didn't simply gloss over those missteps and slap a 10/10 on the score sheet. If you don't point those things out, you're selling people a false review. Trustworthy reviewers supply the good AND the bad. Not simply one or the other.

Besides, pointing those things out is how they get fixed. If you don't call people out on it, they may simply let it slide.

I'm excited for Mango in any case. It's nice to see MS is taking their phone setup seriously, and listening to all the feedback users supplied.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I agree. It's a shame that no site has done any type of story on the debacle that is the endpoint issue. I thought that if it was put out there and some bad press was received, MS would be forced to act. But nope, nothing at all.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
You can subscribe through Zune or download it directly the link is available at the link I posted above. If you can't find it post up and I will add it here.

You could also of course listen to the podcast through the app ;) although on the subject of Mango I'll be able to make that MUCH better with this new Background audio API.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I agree. It's a shame that no site has done any type of story on the debacle that is the endpoint issue. I thought that if it was put out there and some bad press was received, MS would be forced to act. But nope, nothing at all.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express
I'll second that. Done my best to spread the word. And to be clear, not in anyway trying to discredit WP. Just trying to compel Microsoft to fix something that should have never been broken. Developers are taking a beating with bad press, but it all slides off of Microsoft and that's no way to support your devs. MS has the fix, but don't expect to see it before Mango.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
You could also of course listen to the podcast through the app ;) although on the subject of Mango I'll be able to make that MUCH better with this new Background audio API.

which is freakin' awesome bro! thanks. i was surprised it worked when i first saw the link for the podcast and worked well. you really did your thing with this app... *2 thumbs up*

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
YEah, I'm not talking about this site only. I thought for sure that brg or gizmodo would jump all over this. Seeing as those two sites are pretty much apple fan sites.
I'll second that. Done my best to spread the word. And to be clear, not in anyway trying to discredit WP. Just trying to compel Microsoft to fix something that should have never been broken. Developers are taking a beating with bad press, but it all slides off of Microsoft and that's no way to support your devs. MS has the fix, but don't expect to see it before Mango.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I read the Engadget article soon after it was published.

I found numerous inaccuracies regarding the current version of the OS. I started to keep track of them to write a reply, but ended up with too much material for the time I had, so I just dropped it.

If they missed that much regarding the current version, how much did they miss regarding the new iteration?

I can't blame them for knocking the areas of the OS that are still lacking, though.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Exactly and to be honest. Windows Phone isn't the hottest OS right now, we bough it because we saw the potential in it. When Mango hits, of man.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I read the Engadget article soon after it was published.

I found numerous inaccuracies regarding the current version of the OS. I started to keep track of them to write a reply, but ended up with too much material for the time I had, so I just dropped it.

If they missed that much regarding the current version, how much did they miss regarding the new iteration?

I can't blame them for knocking the areas of the OS that are still lacking, though.

Yeah I remember hearing stuff in the video and thinking "What???".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99