Custom text sounds

kregstrong

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I read the article on wpcentral on custom ringtones, but there is no mention of custom text or notification sounds, anyone have any idea if they are included ??

Sent from my htc trophy using Board Express

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
As far as I have read, only custom ringtones coming with Mango. Maybe, we will see additional notification sounds, but I don't expect to see the ability to add custom sounds. I would be happy just adding the sounds from WM.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

kregstrong

May 24, 2011
Visit site
If its havin custom ringtones u would think it would be easy to have custom notifications too :(

Xplode22

May 10, 2011
Visit site
If you have an unlocked phone (I know this gets said SO much), then you can create your own sounds and get them on your phone with the help of some XDA developers tools. The list of sounds is still limited to the "Alert 01, Alert 02...." but you can overwrite these files on your phone and create up to 10 of your own sounds.

kregstrong

May 24, 2011
Visit site
That would be cool, just wish Microsoft would hurt and come out with that chevron unlock, that gonna be sweet

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm guessing there will not be custom alert sounds in Mango, because alerts and ringtones work differently in WP. As of now, the file system has a folder "My Ringtones". If you have an unlocked phone you can just drop sound files in there and they will automatically appear in the list of ringtones.

Alerts are entirely different and there appears to just be a fixed list of files that you can replace as Xplode22 said.

That would be cool, just wish Microsoft would hurt and come out with that chevron unlock, that gonna be sweet

Unfortunately Mango is going to break the functionality of homebrew apps that directly access the file system and the registry, so with the current homebrew apps you won't be able to edit your alerts manually once you have Mango. Hopefully the community will find a way around this before Mango is officially released.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
There is an uneditable registry key that lists; Alert1,Alert2......Alert10, so you are limited to 10 and you cant change their names.

I tried renaming/replacing one using TouchXplorer, but the file was write protected and kept reverting back, renaming my new file instead. Will have to look into other options.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I do like TouchXplorer but I haven't tried to overwrite alert sounds with it. I was able to replace one of the alert sounds with the TouchXPerience Device Manager. It took a couple tries to work (I kept getting the message that it couldn't connect to my phone) but eventually I was able to delete one of the alert sounds and replace it with my own. I did have to delete the original first and then copy over the new one, so maybe you have to do the same with TouchXplorer. I backed up the originals of course.

Another way that I've heard about (but haven't tried) is to edit the path of the alert sounds in the registry.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Sounds seems to be where it stores your current sound selections. So if you want to change your SMS alert sound, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Sounds\SMS and change the Sound value data to the path of the sound you want to use. After a soft reset it should work. This way you wouldn't have to overwrite one of the included sounds.

Again, I didn't test the registry method so be careful with that one. Who knows what might happen if you put an invalid path or whatever. Also, my guess is that it will probably revert to default if you to into Settings->sounds but I'm not sure about that. I think TouchXPerience is probably the safest way to do it.

Edit: here's the XDA post I found for the registry method:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=907971&page=41

Last edited:

Spyral

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
There is an uneditable registry key that lists; Alert1,Alert2......Alert10, so you are limited to 10 and you cant change their names.

I tried renaming/replacing one using TouchXplorer, but the file was write protected and kept reverting back, renaming my new file instead. Will have to look into other options.

In order to install a custom notification tone you have to ensure it is named the same as the stock tones (Alert-01.wma thru Alert-10.wma) and copy it into the /Windows/ folder, overwriting the previous one.

EDIT: this was the method I used on my Samsung Focus, using HeathCliff74's Root Tools. It's the only app that offers file system access for Samsung Devices.

Last edited:

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Interesting. Pretty sure that's what I did. Backed up Alert1, renamed my custom sound as Alert1 and copy/pasted to the Windows folder. But when I went back to check, Alert1 was still there ( sounded the same) and my file was something like Alert1(a). May have to try it again.

On changing the path for sounds, not sure if I want to go there. Tried adding an 11th Accent color to that registry key and crashed all of my third party apps, including the registry editor. Har reset time. Not fun.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
On changing the path for sounds, not sure if I want to go there. Tried adding an 11th Accent color to that registry key and crashed all of my third party apps, including the registry editor. Har reset time. Not fun.

This is amusing to me because I did the exact same thing. Yay for hard reset. I'll never add a key again. Just to be clear though, this method doesn't involve adding a new key or even a new value, just editing a value that already contains the path of your current sound selection.
Still, I agree that it's risky.

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Understood. If I decide to act on this Mango beta invite, I may do a little dabbling first (nothing to lose). Lots of balls in the air right now so not looking forward to a rebuild, and another once Mango is released.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3