After the first night with Mango..

tiny

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
ie9 is fantastic. Fast. Accurate rendering. When you double tap, it zooms as you would assume. Depending on the site, another double tap will zoom you in further just to the main content div, instead of the main+side divs. Very awesome. My only complaint is that Vimeo doesn't work, even when the video is set to HTML5 mode. It's just a black window. I assume this is because Vimeo has some tags that are in line with HTML5 standards. I hope to find more HTML 5 video/music sites. Doesn't seem like there are many out there.

I have an Arrive, so I don't use the onscreen much, or enough to say if it is better or not.

Apps are very smooth. Things are fast and responsive, but it seems like some of the animations glitch every once in a while, something I did not see in NoDo, so I will chalk that up as a beta bug.

And all the new functionality is awesome.

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Most Mango reviews stated that podcast refreshing could only be done over WiFi, but Engadget reported a toggle, giving users the option to save data usage.

Does Mango Beta allow for podcast refreshing using 3G?

redviper#WP

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I did the podcast over 3g today. Its a lot slower (or maybe it was the marketplace issues? I can't be sure) but it works over at&t/focus.

Honestly mango rocks but ie9's lack of the tab button is a little annoying (make the hugely annoying) and I really really want an orientation lock.

The keyboard especially has gotten a lot better. I can type out long (relatively) emails without too much trouble and very few mistakes. And I know it was there before but tap and add to dictionary is awesome.

Another thing that I wish would get fixed is that there is no search button in the zune hub and the hardware button is always bing now. Would be fine if the button was more universal (local apps, marketplace apps, music, vidoe, podcasts, local etc). But having to go back to the main zune screen to search the marketplace through the application menu is a lot of steps. They have just one button there and they could definately deal with 2-3.

tiny

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I agree that they need to add tab management to the address bar. Really they could just shrink the address bar more to do this.

What would really be ideal is if they just did a small transparent bar with the 3 dots like they do in other places. Then when you click that, a bar could pop up that is much larger that fits critical buttons and address bar on screen all at once.

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
ie9 is fantastic. Fast. Accurate rendering. When you double tap, it zooms as you would assume. Depending on the site, another double tap will zoom you in further just to the main content div, instead of the main+side divs.
When you zoom in, does it wrap the text to the screen like most browsers now?

Also, don't forget my earlier question please :p

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
For those who aren't going the official Mango beta route, what method did you use? I'm thinking of doing it later today as I've got to replace this phone anyways.

RumpRoast

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Anything regarding the color banding/gradiant fix for the Focus owners that updated to Mango? I've read rumors here and there that Microsoft might bring it up to 32bit with the update but nothing written in stone. I'm tempted to do the registry thing myself but willing to wait it out if it's indeed confirmed in the mango update. Nothing like showing off a video or pics to friends only to have them say "What the heck is wrong with your screen?"

Thanks

tiny

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I know that my Arrive, which previously I couldn't get to 32bit through hacks is now 32bit after Mango update. But I have heard others say that previously got 32bit to work are now back at 16bit. I don't know what phone they had.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
For those who aren't going the official Mango beta route, what method did you use? I'm thinking of doing it later today as I've got to replace this phone anyways.

The same way all the devs are doing it... Once you have a dev-unlocked device, you're good to go.

Head over to xda for the instructions.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I have a focus, and I previously did the reg hack to get 32 bit colors. I am back to 16 bit after the update. Very disappointing, but it is beta so we'll see.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
You can see that colour backgrounds in say the WP7 app look terrible with really bad colour banding in 16 Bit, they are much better and smoother looking in 32 Bit.

The background for wpcentral looked awful on my Omnia 7 pre Mango but it looks fine now since i upgraded to Mango, but strangely enough the backgrounds in the WP7 app still look really bad.

There's also various screen test apps in the Marketplace that show colour gradients and patterns and you can see how good (or not) your phone can display them.

Last edited:

l3asturd

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
The Voice Navigation feature syncs perfectly with my car's bluetooth. I used it yesterday to find a friends party. It's really cool how addresses (in web searches) are linked to Bing maps and you just click them to get directions.

Still getting used to the multitasking.

Messaging alternating colors, facebook event to homescreen integration, and hundreds of other very cool little features have me excited to own WP7 again. I'll be playing with these for hours.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I was playing music on my BT headphones and a text message came, the phone asked if I would like for it to read it to me! Sweet!

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I got a question.

Terrorists got a hold of your grandmother and threaten to harm her. They call themselves the Palmpple droids and demand that you go back to pre-Nodo for at least a year and stop using Mango or your grandma gets it.

Would you stop using Mango?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234