After the first night with Mango..

L3vi

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Everyday I'm liking Mango more and more. Favorite additions by far:

IE9, this is probably the best mobile browser right now, unless you need flash. I use it so much now. When you change the settings to desktop mode it literally feels like IE9 on my computer.

Groups, great way of organizing your social life

Threads, what more can i say, the ability to IM, text, and Facebook chat seamlessly is great.

Performance boosts. Apps are just fast now. Scrolling is vastly improved. In most of my apps scrolling is almost as smooth as it is in the OS itself. Very happy with this. Also live tiles work alot better now.

Multitasking, definitely a big one but could use a lot of refinement.

Deeper Facebook integration. No real need for an app anymore lol.

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
The main thing I always felt was missing in wp7 was a html5 browser and ie9 is just amazing. The whole thing feels so much faster too.

The only thing I've had an issue with is when I went to upload an excel file to skydrive, one of them went fine but the other said 'couldn't upload' and in the status it says 'this type of file can't be uploaded'...odd

I don't like the inability to directly close an app in multitasking, I hope they fix that to be like ie tabs but I'm so glad the 16bit color limitation has been lifted, no longer get banding on things like the wpcentral background. Great job MS, with a few minor tweaks before release this really is going to be the ultimate smartphone os.

EDIT: should this all be in a mango sub forum? Since mango-related discussion isn't really relevant to most of the wp7 community.

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
EDIT: should this all be in a mango sub forum? Since mango-related discussion isn't really relevant to most of the wp7 community.
They will be when Mango hits the rollout stage, then once Mango is over and done with we'd have to delete the forum and create a new one for Tango/Apollo, then delete them etc. Might as well keep everything together :)

I haven't had the opportunity to try out Mango just yet, unfortunately I don't think I'll get a chance until it's released to the public. I think we spoke about tabbed multi-tasking in the recent WPCentral podcast to look like IE tabs, I still don't understand why there's no "remove-from-multi-task-queue" button already.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
may I ask what's the big hubbub over IE9. It's a bit faster, but other than that. I don't see any improvements. It's not like it's added Flash support.
The main thing I always felt was missing in wp7 was a html5 browser and ie9 is just amazing. The whole thing feels so much faster too.

The only thing I've had an issue with is when I went to upload an excel file to skydrive, one of them went fine but the other said 'couldn't upload' and in the status it says 'this type of file can't be uploaded'...odd

I don't like the inability to directly close an app in multitasking, I hope they fix that to be like ie tabs but I'm so glad the 16bit color limitation has been lifted, no longer get banding on things like the wpcentral background. Great job MS, with a few minor tweaks before release this really is going to be the ultimate smartphone os.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Serious question this time.

Since Facebook chat and WLM are all in the message tab, do they run on our messages or do they use data?

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
That's too bad. I though this would be a great way for teenagers to get a cheap Windows Phone with a low plan. Like those feature phones.

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't like the inability to directly close an app in multitasking.

The thing is, 3rd party apps are not open. They are "dehydrated", i.e. suspended and closed, with a screenshot taken of where you were when that happened. The long press on back just shows the last 5 or so such screenshots. When selected, those apps are "rehydrated", meaning they are resumed where they left off. "Multitasking" in WP7 Mango is really fast app switching and fast app resume. As such, there is no need to "close" background apps, as nothing is technically open.

Think of it this way: in Android, a long press on the home button brings up the last six apps opened. Same in WP7, except with the back button. The difference is that in Android, those last 6 six apps are open and running in memory, resources permitting. In WP7, those apps were saved in the last state and closed, ready to be quickly reopened. Unfortunately I've noticed most 3rd party apps have not been properly coded to take advantage of this process, so they're not saving states properly. Thus, on rehydration, you end up back on the app's main screen instead of where you were. That's not how the process was designed to work.

Of course, that only applies to 3rd party apps. 1st party apps, i.e. the built-in ones, do run in the background.

-R

Deflord

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Video chat is what has always kept me on the other phones aka iPhone, Android - I finally ditched the iPhone last Friday and went with a Surround. Knowing that Mango is supposedly will support Video Chat. I am looking forward to it!

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Video chat is what has always kept me on the other phones aka iPhone, Android - I finally ditched the iPhone last Friday and went with a Surround. Knowing that Mango is supposedly will support Video Chat. I am looking forward to it!

I hate to burst your bubble, but the Surround has no front-facing camera. Even when the software supports it, you'll need compatible hardware, which isn't out yet.

-R

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I hate to burst your bubble, but the Surround has no front-facing camera. Even when the software supports it, you'll need compatible hardware, which isn't out yet.

-R

Don't some apps support rear facing camera for video chat anyways?

I think he understands (my guess, I could be wrong) that the Surround doesn't have a FFC.

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
The thing is, 3rd party apps are not open. They are "dehydrated", i.e. suspended and closed, with a screenshot taken of where you were when that happened. The long press on back just shows the last 5 or so such screenshots. When selected, those apps are "rehydrated", meaning they are resumed where they left off. "Multitasking" in WP7 Mango is really fast app switching and fast app resume. As such, there is no need to "close" background apps, as nothing is technically open.

That's true to a point, which is that there are many background services that are running in supported apps - for example background audio - that will continue to run even when you have switched out of the application if you haven't actually closed it. You're right that the app isn't fully executing in the background but if it is utilising those background services then it isn't closed or completely suspended either.

They will be when Mango hits the rollout stage, then once Mango is over and done with we'd have to delete the forum and create a new one for Tango/Apollo, then delete them etc. Might as well keep everything together :)

Fair enough ;)

I think we spoke about tabbed multi-tasking in the recent WPCentral podcast to look like IE tabs, I still don't understand why there's no "remove-from-multi-task-queue" button already.

Yes, you did, i remember hearing you guys talking about that as well.

may I ask what's the big hubbub over IE9. It's a bit faster, but other than that. I don't see any improvements. It's not like it's added Flash support.

It's all the new HTML5 support for things like vector graphics, the new browser audio and some of the key HTML5 features to do things like:
Canvas3D & Flickr
Professor Cloud
Internet Explorer 9 Mobile Test Drive

These are features that are the future of the web.

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I, for one, hope Flash support never will be added. We should be pushing developers to use HTML5 and advanced technologies over less stable and secure Flash. I love how Blackberry are using the fact their tablet runs Flash as a selling point.

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Flash has its uses but it is being quickly superseded as those distinctive Flash features are added to HTML5, however some things are still missing for example at this stage i don't believe there's a way to sync audio to vector animations in HTML5 yet.

The real drawback is that there is nothing like Flash CS(x) (the authoring tool) for HTML5, designers use such tools for their websites and if we get a really decent authoring tool that should be the tipping point. Adobe need to drop Flash and make Flash CS an HTML5 authoring tool!

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Yet another question. ( sorry to bother you guys so much but I have no way of answering on my own ).

What happen when you are chatting with someone on WLM and you made a lengthy message and when you are going to send it, they are already offline. (But on they had not yet log off on facebook) Does it give you a prompt saying something like "Cletus is offline. Send message to : Facebook, Email, Message, Gmail etc... "

Last edited:

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Sorry Winterfang I haven't encountered that yet, I would imagine it would make you choose using the 'switch' feature, if I run into the situation I'll let u know.

DontHate707, another neat thing is a fix to something that really annoyed me, previously you could only SMS/MMS to mobile numbers, so if a contacts work number was a mobile but was put in the work field u couldn't message that number, now the messaging hub has a 'switch' button to allow you to change the destination of the message to be any one of that contacts options, so you can message their home, work, mobile, email, Facebook, WLM, etc... And u can decide that after you've typed the message or mid-thread. Also Im in Australia so we didn't get the voice features (I enabled them through changing the locale) but by default in mango (I hope it's not just cos it's a beta) the 'speak' option is in the message hub too so you can dictate your message :)

The Me tile also shows the number of notifications you have in the new Notifcations page of the Me area of the people hub. Also I like that each contact in the people hub now has a 'history' page so you can easily find any past correspondence with that contact.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers