Microsoft brand loyalty

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
It's not just Verizon, but IMO, WM 6.x left a bad taste in everyone's mouth. So in a sense, I see why everyone thinks that, even though they are wrong.

I actually like making people look stupid and asking "how is 'windows phone' slow" and watch them tell me something about 'windows mobile'.

You're right. It isn't just Verizon. They all do it and it bites. But you know it really isn't WM 6 but it takes the blame for all that goes wrong in the world. Where Microsoft screwed up was to allow anyone with a dollar to wrap plastic around it's operating system. Because you notice, no one actually blames the Palm Trio, or the Motorola Q for being jacked up devices. They blamed Microsoft's Windows Mobile. And it only got worse when developers attempted to make a pen based OS into touch aka, the ill famed HTC HD2.

I think its fantastic Balmer locked down Widows Phone 7. Look at how fantastic it is and how many 5 star developers are jumping on board. Do I care that it's locked down? Not one wit. lol.

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I think with all the conditioning from the world of Google, Mozilla and such, I did notice I had developed a weird preoccupation of correcting the record where Microsoft is concerned. If I hear misinformation about it, like, Windows Mobile and Windows Phone 7 are the same thing, I say, "nay nay." Head into almost any Verizon kiosk and ask about Windows Phone 7 and this is what they tell you.

So weird I JUST was talking about this exact thing to a couple of friends of mine that were questioning why I don't go try and work for MS since I'm always talking up and defending their stuff. I gave them a response very similar to yours.

MS has wonderful products and services, just like Apple and Google do.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I love most of microsoft products and while I enjoy their Windows Live services. The last one is really really buggy. It makes me mad most of the time.

rsmiley0

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Was a ROM Flasher, but no more

I believe that buying into an ecosystem is a good thing. I think that MS actually has the only "COMPLETE" Ecosystem out there. Apple is close but I like my Xbox stuff coming to my phone.

I think that Apple is about to shoot themselves in the foot also, with requiring 30% of other retailers sales for the priv of being on Iphone/Ipad. I really hope that companies like Amazon stand up to them and move away from that platform. That is pretty much extorsion.

Google is going to loose 2.6 billion (more or less), to Oracle over Java. Something that Oracle only purchased, did not develop.

I think it is going to be a bit of a shake up in the moble landscape. The more people see WP7, they like it. And when we get Nokia, lookout.

Oh yeah, used to like Flashing ROM's in my WM 6.5 days. Dont even miss that anymore!

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I might be one of the few people that doesn't think Nokia is gonna bring anything revolutionary to the ecosystem. I don't know how is it in Europe but here Nokia is associated with crappy, durable phones or just a thing of the 90's.

For example, hey! remember that Nokia phone I used to had?
LOL yeah, what a piece of crap.

Nokia is not popular on the smartphone community, so I'm gonna be more on the look out for the Focus/Omnia 2 and what else Samsung will bring.

condemned

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Brand loyalty is dumb. I buy whatever I think is the best for me. Despite all the negative reviews, I still use Windows Vista on my laptop. I have an Android and WP7 phone. I also prefer iPods to Zunes.

Although, I do prefer HTC phones to any other phone manufacturers due to the way they design them as well as how they customize the UI (Sense).

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Brand loyalty is dumb. I buy whatever I think is the best for me. Despite all the negative reviews, I still use Windows Vista on my laptop. I have an Android and WP7 phone. I also prefer iPods to Zunes.

Although, I do prefer HTC phones to any other phone manufacturers due to the way they design them as well as how they customize the UI (Sense).

Brand loyalty is a concept many appreciate. It is the one ingredient that helps keep a company pushing out quality we all come to enjoy. why else is there over 60 different flavors of Linux and 200 variants of Android? No brand loyalty.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I might be one of the few people that doesn't think Nokia is gonna bring anything revolutionary to the ecosystem. I don't know how is it in Europe but here Nokia is associated with crappy, durable phones or just a thing of the 90's.

For example, hey! remember that Nokia phone I used to had?
LOL yeah, what a piece of crap.

Nokia is not popular on the smartphone community, so I'm gonna be more on the look out for the Focus/Omnia 2 and what else Samsung will bring.
In the short term (ie next 12-18 months), I don't expect anything particularly "revolutionary". I do expect them to bring over things such as excellent cameras, FM transmitters, thoughtful attention to hardware design, and of course services such as Ovi Maps. Beyond that, I expect to see some of their ideas from Nokia Beta Labs and Nokia Research Center to trickle into Windows Phone. Looking at some of the technologies in both, there's a good deal of crossover between what Nokia is working on and where Windows Phone is headed.

Their biggest hurdle in the US, as you hit upon, is perception of the company. But I think that's something that'll begin to disappear with Mango, new Windows Phones from other OEMs, and some flashy new marketing from Nokia.

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Where Microsoft screwed up was to allow anyone with a dollar to wrap plastic around it's operating system. Because you notice, no one actually blames the Palm Trio, or the Motorola Q for being jacked up devices. They blamed Microsoft's Windows Mobile.

That's right, a similar thing is happening with Android, people saying 'android isn't open' because they can't load the latest OS onto their phone due to manufacturer restrictions, but they don't blame the manufacturer, they blame Google's Android.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
The only brand I'm loyal to is Subaru. I do, however, use Windows 7 and other Microsoft services, so WP7 was an appropriate choice for my next mobile device. Were I to switch from MS to Apple, my next device would possibly be an iPhone, just as I would likely pick up an Android device if I used Google services.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
The only brand I'm loyal to is Subaru. I do, however, use Windows 7 and other Microsoft services, so WP7 was an appropriate choice for my next mobile device. Were I to switch from MS to Apple, my next device would possibly be an iPhone, just as I would likely pick up an Android device if I used Google services.

u are a bus

SolarPlexus

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I do not consider myself brand loyal - ever. I will say that, Microsoft has been on a nice run lately. Starting with The Zune software for Windows, they have been firing on most cylinders. I find that Hotmail has passed gmail. I find that that Windows 7 is my favorite OS of all time (Ironically, my previous fav OS was the MAC OS). I am finding that Office 365 makes much more sense that Google Docs/Apps. And of course WP7 is the best Phone experience I have ever had.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm not loyal unconditionally. I do play with and test most technology that comes out, and have developed a preference for certain companies approaches to their services & hardware.

Over the last 6-9 months I have decided to put my chips on Microsoft as I believe their current offerings, and the direction they are going with their services & platforms is the most beneficial to me, not to mention the most pleasing to use (Metro UI is the best designed UI I've ever used, and its going to be perfect across their entire platform). Of coarse its not just about the UI. Microsofts done a massive 180 starting with Windows 7, and their improvements on everything from Hotmail, to their cloud services, to Bing, to the legal ability for them to integrate all their offerings now that the Anti Trust has been lifted is actually a sight to behold. The improvements made by them over the last year, and what you can see them doing over the next few, is very impressive.

Windows Phone was just the beginning of my conclusion about Microsofts turn around, and direction they are heading. I was not sure about how they were going to do in the mobile arena after Windows Mobile, but they knocked it far out of the park, and its been RBI's ever since. Windows 8, revamping of all their cloud services, Office 365, Xbox revamping and integration of all their services. Add Skype and what they are trying to do with actual TV offerings (instead of just streaming what you buy from a marketplace), and you have the most solid overall offering which will be beautifully integrated across all types of devices.

I still use other companies products and services, but for the 'main' platform & productivity/entertainment 'system', I have decided to put my money on Microsoft.

MicrosoftNorthstar

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I am the ultimate Microsoft loyalist, I have used almost every single consumer product they have: Windows, Windows Live, Windows Mobile, Windows Phone, Xbox, Office, Zune, KIN, IE, Live Mesh, Media Center, Tablet PC (for 3 years).

Only Microsoft consumer products I never used have been: Kinect (I don't own an Xbox currently), Ultra-Mobile PC (couldn't afford it), and Home Server (eventually...)

I also don't use Windows Live Messenger...have been using Trillian since 2002.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
all my stuff is MS , but i still use GOOLE search engine over BING , not a fan of the BING UI and basic layout , ( on desktop ) i only use BING on my cell :p

**EDIT: YAY 200th post, lol***

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I was big in to Android and Google all because I was hart broken when Microsoft dropped WinMo I felt like I was personally attacked. I worked very hard promoting Win Mo and all the sudden it was gone. With no WP7 phones available on Sprint my carrier of choice I had little choice but to go Google. I like the Google experience there is a lot of good in that environment. Then the Arrive was launched by Sprint. After a week of looking I got one I still had all my Microsoft stuff set up Hotmail, XBOX, Zune all that so it was easy to move back after my 10+ months on Android. To be honest I haven't even open my Gmail in weeks. I feel like Microsoft still owes us all an apology for dumping WinMo without a fight and I also feel like Windows Phone is Microsoft's way of trying to make it up to us so no I don't feel bad about my hiatus in the the world of Google or about using Google apps but I have to say I am glad to be back. What Microsoft has to offer NOW is better than what Google has IMHO,

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss