Customize Metro UI?

Krispers

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I just got my HTC Trophy a couple days ago, pretty happy with it so far, I love how clean the Metro UI is compared to my wife's Android. But I do have a couple questions about customizing it slightly more.

1) Is there a way to set a picture as the home screen background?

2) Is is possible to make the tiles slightly transparent?

I tried searching for both but all I can find is about the pictures tile and transparent wallpaper.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure I've seen both tiles and background messed with, but neither is particularly easy or worth it if you are just looking for something quick and easy.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Customization is possible, but your device needs to be dev unlocked. With that said, the Mango update (including the Mango Beta) will prevent all future customization, so enjoy it while you can.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Krispers

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Customization is possible, but your device needs to be dev unlocked. With that said, the Mango update (including the Mango Beta) will prevent all future customization, so enjoy it while you can.

Ouch, maybe my wife was right to get a droid.... While I love the Metro UI there is a launcher that emulates it.... 10 days left to decide if it's worth it.

Thanks anyways.

I'm going to guess no one has figured out how to skin or edit the home screen beyond basic color changing as well?

Last edited:

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Ouch, maybe my wife was right to get a droid.... While I love the Metro UI there is a launcher that emulates it.... 10 days left to decide if it's worth it.

Thanks anyways.

I'm going to guess no one has figured out how to skin or edit the home screen beyond basic color changing as well?
Well the homebrew community has figured out how to change the background color, add a graphic background (I think), change tile colors, ad even change the shape and gradient of the tiles. But all the tools to make these changes, basically anything that accesses the registry or file system, will be locked out with the Mango update.

I came from years of WinMo, tweaking the **** out of phones. Now I am satisfied with what Microsoft has provided (although I did change one accent color before loading Mango Beta) and don't really have any desire to waste time tweaking the OS. Moving tiles around is already a way to tweak, and Mango will provide more ways to change colors/customize the appearance of the tiles for each individual app. Guess it's a matter of priority. I want a phone that runs fast, never freezes up and looks pleasing to the eye. The fact that I can't change the shape or texture of tiles is not all that important. At least not to me.

gerrymad

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
While the launcher on Android may emulate the main screen underneath it you will still have Android. The main screen is only a small part of the Metro UI.

Reactions: Cyterio

Cyterio

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Well put gerrymad. I have a few friends who also have Android devices and skin their phones with the Metro UI. I've explained the same thing to them, not that there is anything wrong with Android, but its just the UI they're getting. It's also nowhere close to being as smooth as my Trophy.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
yea i had every android under the sun, and my favorite launcher was the launcher 7, which emulated the Ui of a wp7. but it was indeed just a skin. i even went as far as installing a custom ROM which threw in some more of the metro UI. however, it was still an android and was cursed with consistant "force closes" , random reboots, lag, and a market filled with crap apps.

i would keep cancel your contract with verizon, and go with tmobile or at&t and get a nicer wp7, like an hd7, venue pro, or a focus. verizon is overpriced and their data plans are going up and no longer unlimited.

all that being said, be patient with wp7, it is a fresh new OS and with mango will come 500+ new features and the ability to customize deeper. its going to be epic!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro