[Future Release] Tile Concept

tiny

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
So I was thinking the other day that there is no reason why some tiles couldn't be smaller. It would be cool if you could long hold a tile and have an option com up to split it into a half tile. Other hub like tiles could be further subdivided. I use IE to demonstrate this, but the music up could allow you to pin a favorite artist or two to it. Or the game hub could likewise use 1/2 tile to display game invites, and then two 1/4 tiles to link directly to your two favorite games. What are your thoughts?

TujY8.png

Edit: here is what it would look like in your hand:

zXr69.jpg

Last edited:

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
That's just too much. It's all about ease of use with windows phone and adding options to split it would get messy. How about if you want them to go back to normal size? Would would the process be?

tiny

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Well this concept is just breaking a single tile into groups within that tile. So you could long press on any of the titles in the game tile group to have the option come up to restore it back into a single tile. The half tiles are just cropped from their full version, so again, a long press could bring up the option to make a full tile again.

I think, as my concept stands, it doesn't complicate/slow down WP at all, because it would just be making it so that each hub is more accessible from the start screen, and the half tiles would just make it so more tiles can be seen at a glance.

L3vi

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Looking pretty good, that's actually not a half bad idea. This would be a nice feature to make WP7 more customizable and unique to each person without compromising on providing a consistent user experience. Proper implementation might be a bit tricky though.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Well this concept is just breaking a single tile into groups within that tile. So you could long press on any of the titles in the game tile group to have the option come up to restore it back into a single tile. The half tiles are just cropped from their full version, so again, a long press could bring up the option to make a full tile again.

I think, as my concept stands, it doesn't complicate/slow down WP at all, because it would just be making it so that each hub is more accessible from the start screen, and the half tiles would just make it so more tiles can be seen at a glance.

I was really looking at the 4 tiles being broken down. You also have half tiles. If they are half tiles, two options would have to appear, one to make it even smaller and then the other to make it normal size. For you it's not complicated, but for the average joe, it would be.

Took me almost 2 hours to set a couple up on EVO 3Ds on release day. They already had Android devices (one the OG EVO and the other a MyTouch), so why was it so difficult? Because it was just more options that weren't used to like flipping the switch for 3D when you wanted 3D pics and then back to 2D for 2D pics.

I'm with WP for the simplicity. Doing the break down so you can put more tiles in one spot makes me feel like that would be taking some steps backwards towards Android/iPhone.

techjunkieforlife

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I actually like this, I'm all about some extra choice. Those 1/4 tiles would be too small for smaller screens thou and I feel it would have to be restricted so everything is not 1/4 or 1/2 size, it would ruin the whole concept and make it look like the iOS tile bank.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
i would love the 4 tiles. just an option to do it , and then click hold to resize to normal.

it would be VERY easy to do and change back n forth.

id love to have: txt/phone/people hub/email in a 4x4 tile!! considering i use does the lease. ( i should be using does the most , but w/e lmao)

or maybe have a colecting of your top 4 games/apps together.

or they could simply add FOLer optionf or live tiles. so you link some apps/games in that one folder.(hub)

Ivan006

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I like the idea, but I hope it's an option. I have a 3.5" screen, and I don't think it will look that good on my screen. I am willing to try it out though.

tiny

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I like the idea, but I hope it's an option. I have a 3.5" screen, and I don't think it will look that good on my screen. I am willing to try it out though.

Yeah, I wouldn't want it to be standard, because I do think there is a lot of appeal with just a few big tiles. If I had the option, I think there would only be a few instances where I would use it on my start screen, but those few instances would really make the phone a lot faster to use.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes