After Mango... what's next?

M_D_Kaiser

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Apart from better calendar syncing and email syncing:
- Native timer and stopwatch application
- less data leeching (yeah, that ain't happening...)
- emojis (wouldn't have guessed that I'll miss those things)

DarthVeda

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
bluetooth file transfer for photos at least
Backup option for text messages and if possible programs into PC
office communicator
color change option for the tile, that's an easy customization option they can do

electricbopeep

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Folders/user-customizable hubs - the app organization is subpar right now, adding search only helps but so much
Flagging messages for windows live/hotmail - I understand why I can flag messages for Gmail and not for hotmail but I honestly could care less. The windows phone team needs to do whatever collaboration is necessary with the hotmail team to get this working, organizational structure be damned. It's just so irritating (and telling) from user perspective that you can't use a Microsoft feature (mail flagging) on a Microsoft phone for a Microsoft service (hotmail), but you can for a google service.
-persistent notifications: even the iPhone has finally fixed their sorry excuse for notifications. Multiple users here have come up with great suggestions for swiping to the left of the homescreen to view/manage notifications.
- better calendar view on lock screen, live tile and week view
- separate volume controls
- open up APIs for ringers, sounds to allow for location/time-based ringer profiles or built this functionality into the system directly
- email previews similar to toast notifications, display sender, subject, message preview
- add "find on page" and proper back and forward buttons. I understand Microsoft's 80/20 rationale on this but I think it's wrongheaded a

These are just off the top of my head, I've been keeping a list since I bought my focus over a year ago. Mango added some great features but I feel like it also missed some opportunities to not only achieve parity with other platforms but also, and more importantly, to further realize the promise of Windows Phone - get in, get out, get back to life by using glanceable information; make content and usability the driving forces of the UI and provide a delightful experience.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
1. LTE Support. I don't think they should wait for WP8 for that, they need to do it in a No-Do style update early next year.
2. Higher Resolution Display Options. Again, I think this should role out in a No-Do style early update.
3. MMS Videos
4. Tighter Xbox Integration
5. Background colors other than Light and Dark

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I just recently switched over from android to wp7,not really had a choice since my brother switched the plans up to a different carrier and picked something out without me being there. Anyways i was gonna return it then i started to like it and just didnt return it. i have the samsung focus on at&t and have to say that im really impressed by how far windows phones have came up. didnt have mango when i got it so i had to do the whole force zune update and it worked perfectly. But there are still some things that would bring this os up a little further. with the IOS4s new speak integration it shows that even the simplest form of an OS like the iphone can still come out with new improvements that can still keep them in the game, not to mention how you can pretty much do anything you want with a new android: home replacements, roms, root access, wireless tether pretty much if you know anything about cell phones you can have whatever you want on an android. this is WP7s biggest threat. I mean if the the Creator himself (Bill Gates) put just 1/10 of thought and effort into WP7 as he did for windows he could have the biggest cell phone OS on the planet as well as we all know windows. But being at the top he has people who make alot of his decisions for him,plus branches of the company like the cell phone os WP7. this is where all the mistakes are happening. They really need to step their game up. Sure the phones are bad *** looking but whats a good looking cell phone good for without just as much customization sand features to go with it. these are some things that are very much needed to bring WP7 to the top.

custom colors: color wheels to let us choose what colors for the start screen background not just black and white, tiles,message bubbles, menus everything instead of just giving us like 7 colors to deal with.

Tile creator built in from microsoft themselves,no third party crap, something to let us create a tile for basically anything we want, choose color, application, tap function, pictures, text, and at least make it to where you can create at least 4 tiles.

some sort of mass storage, i know, i know probly wont see it due to required software and firmware changes. but at least somthing that if were at the library or a friends house or even on a random computer, see a song or file you want just plug it in and get it. basically create another way to get things besides having to have zune on every computer you run into.

please add option for list or app icon grid views, this can probly be done with very little software changes and still be able to keep the crisp modern look of WP7,just depends on if they feel up to it or not,sure its probly came up in one of their meetings or discussions.

and finally some sort of file management system built in or app even i dont care just something to show and edit/install/remove everything from docs to videos and apps all in one place without having to go to 8 different apps in your phone just to see what you have on it without a computer plugged up( i mean a handheld way).

I mean with windows computers you can do what you want, why should it be any different for their phones,plus these phones coming out post mango are gonna be expensive, nobodys gonna pay it when they could spend like 2 or 250 on a focus or surround and have the same thing just different look

WOW this is long, but if you read it all please respond and let me know what you think.

Totally agree with you. Wp7 has alot of potential but it lacks or misses very basic vital things. As someone who got this phone not because it was windows, (didn't realize what it was) I had to get used to it too. And I got it pre-mango. The only thing that kept me from exchanging it was the thought that Mango was surely gonna bring those very things (that you mentioned above). But no...such obvious things..what a miss.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Why does WP7 need dual core? not picking on you but trying to see the why behind people asking for it

Things could still be faster. Web page loading, app resume time, etc. The 1.4ghz 8255t soc are already showing a decent gain over their s1 cousins.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

DroBoy

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
The next update is Tango? right, then after that their major update release will be "Apollo" ? Hopefully Apollo is announced at MWC.

Does anyone know what will contain?

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
The next update is Tango? right, then after that their major update release will be "Apollo" ? Hopefully Apollo is announced at MWC.

Does anyone know what will contain?

No idea..but I read somewhere that Tango will mainly be for the Asian community.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Things could still be faster. Web page loading, app resume time, etc. The 1.4ghz 8255t soc are already showing a decent gain over their s1 cousins.

And then you have to deal even MORE with battery issues. Would you rather have instant results and a 6 hr battery life or next to instant results and a 10 hr battery life?

Folders/user-customizable hubs - the app organization is subpar right now, adding search only helps but so much

If you want folders and hidden apps, get an iPhone...they didn't want to copy that format, so they aren't going to do it now. I think the apps structure is perfect...Games are always in the Games up...Apps in the App hub...if I want Music apps I go to Music then Apps...if I want Photo Apps I go to Pictures then Apps...if I want a misc I go to Apps...or I just say "Open XYZ" and it opens.

-persistent notifications: even the iPhone has finally fixed their sorry excuse for notifications. Multiple users here have come up with great suggestions for swiping to the left of the homescreen to view/manage notifications.

Yea, there is always another way...MS for now has decided that you swipe UP (unlock) then look at your live tiles.

- better calendar view on lock screen, live tile and week view

Lock and Live Tile work great for me since it is mostly just "What do I have tonight and what time?". What else would you want while still allowing it to be glance and go??? The week view is all preference and I agree the option should be there.

- separate volume controls

I have a big issue with the voice lady being way too quiet when she reads I texts...I REALLY wish I could make changes to this (I found it in the Diagnosis menu but it is all random numbers I am scared to change)

- open up APIs for ringers, sounds to allow for location/time-based ringer profiles or built this functionality into the system directly

Thumbs up. I want the ringer to turn off automatically when I am at work.

- email previews similar to toast notifications, display sender, subject, message preview

Wouldn't ever work...when my phone pulls in emails it is typically 2-3 at a time...it would get very cluttered and confusing.

- add "find on page" and proper back and forward buttons. I understand Microsoft's 80/20 rationale on this but I think it's wrong

I have never ever once had the need for a forward button on my phone, it would be 100% a waste of space...there is a proper back button...and yes, Find on Page would be nice.

my Thoughts/Opinions/Answers in Bold.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
And then you have to deal even MORE with battery issues. Would you rather have instant results and a 6 hr battery life or next to instant results and a 10 hr battery life?

my Thoughts/Opinions/Answers in Bold.
(post created in state of tired-ness.... so grammar may be off :().
Why battery issues? Or are you just making them up? Complete the task faster, race to idle faster. Besides, it's not like 2002 where CPU cores run at max speed 24/7. It's not even like nVidia's Tegra 2, where the cores are synchronous... It's not even "next to instant," it's waiting several seconds (MS dev standards allow up to 19!) for an app to launch, or resume. Since there are no faster single core chips to be released past the 1.5GHz 8255t...

Besides, the recent WP7 phones have little to no impact on battery life relatively because the first gen SoC were made on a 65nm process, while the 8255t is made on a 45nm process. So yes, I'd rather have MS design for dual core chips as they are comming. The next gen Krait is expected to NOT have any single core designs. What then? Or should MS only react to tech advances, and not take lead? Even Apple, which is often accused of creating a better GUI over HW, was uncontested in taking HW to the limit, until very recently - and even so, they are still in the lead, in areas like the GPU.

IMO, if MS is really serious in this, they should display more initave than simply sitting back and leaching their vendor's Android designs. They should be pushing their platform to take the lead SOMEWHERE. Right now, the only advantage I see to my Sammy Focus is that is has an AMOLED display and a GPU accelerated GUI (which even Android is getting, with ICS)... that's it. I rarely see "app resume times," on my iPod touch (1g and 4g), Moto Atrix, or HTC Inspire. It's something I'd like to see resolved. Is HW the only solution? No! But is it one important part of the equation? Based on direct comparisons of S1 and S2 based WP7 devices, I'd say yes!

As for your other quote on audio level control between different applications, I fully agree. I used my Android phones linked up to my car stereo, to act as a GPS/Phone/Music device. Phone/Music, I can adjust the *seperate* audio levels on that for a decent experience. However... Bing Maps... has a tiny voice. The "unified," audio control is maddening!

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree with electricbopeep about folders. The app structure isn't bad, but it's far from perfect. I have no idea how the iPhone is set up, I've never used one...but scrolling through the list of alphabetical apps you have on wp7, I often wish there was some kind of way to organize everything. And yes the games are automatically stored in the Xbox "folder", so wp7 is 10% there in this area. As you said though, the list works perfect for you...So I think, to make everyone happy, there should be an OPTION in settings that allows you to CHOOSE whether to have "alphabetical list view" or "folder view".

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
No idea..but I read somewhere that Tango will mainly be for the Asian community.

There will be Tango 1 which is mostly Asian support and other minor improvements and then Tango 2 which will be a broader update bug fix and some other stuff both of those are early 2012 and then Apollo later in 2012 which may usher in the full blown LTE dual core etc evolution!

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I have to agree with electricbopeep about folders. The app structure isn't bad, but it's far from perfect. I have no idea how the iPhone is set up, I've never used one...but scrolling through the list of alphabetical apps you have on wp7, I often wish there was some kind of way to organize everything. And yes the games are automatically stored in the Xbox "folder", so wp7 is 10% there in this area. As you said though, the list works perfect for you...So I think, to make everyone happy, there should be an OPTION in settings that allows you to CHOOSE whether to have "alphabetical list view" or "folder view".

That sounds reasonable to me as well I would think it should not be that difficult to code even in the tight parameters that MS allows.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Folder and Notifications not a problem anymore IMO like what others replied with in this thread this is what I do

1st screen = all live tiles with notification support right away i get all my notifications
2nd screen = all static apps with no live tiles if I need to find anything click on search and bam its there still just as quick as folders.

Maybe MS should focus on the second screen arrange applications by genre

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
(post created in state of tired-ness.... so grammar may be off :().
Why battery issues? Or are you just making them up? Complete the task faster, race to idle faster. Besides, it's not like 2002 where CPU cores run at max speed 24/7. It's not even like nVidia's Tegra 2, where the cores are synchronous... It's not even "next to instant," it's waiting several seconds (MS dev standards allow up to 19!) for an app to launch, or resume. Since there are no faster single core chips to be released past the 1.5GHz 8255t...

You lost me a bit...a few too many acronyms that I just don't know at all...but I believe the Battery Life is an issue they have pointed to officially. Most of the time it is lumped together with LTE though, which is widely published as being the Battery Hog...and while the LTE would be nice...they usually say the WP7s can run faster on a single core then most to all other phones on dual cores. Dual core really, at this point, is only a marketing tool.

[Basically, vague example, think of a V8 that can make 500 HP but only puts 400 to the wheels vs. a V6 that produces 475 and is putting down 425. Do you still HAVE to have the V8?]

And yes the games are automatically stored in the Xbox "folder", so wp7 is 10% there in this area. As you said though, the list works perfect for you...So I think, to make everyone happy, there should be an OPTION in settings that allows you to CHOOSE whether to have "alphabetical list view" or "folder view".

Ok, what other ones would you want? Photos and Music and Video are all taken care of also...

I guess Finance is the only other one that comes to mind...(Multiple banks) But even still...if I want PNC I click the "P" and if I want Chase I click the "C"...how bass akwords would it be to have to click an "F" to go to finance to open it up to go to Chase? If there wasn't the quick skip, search AND Voice-to-App feature there might be a case for it...

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
You lost me a bit...a few too many acronyms that I just don't know at all...but I believe the Battery Life is an issue they have pointed to officially. Most of the time it is lumped together with LTE though, which is widely published as being the Battery Hog...and while the LTE would be nice...they usually say the WP7s can run faster on a single core then most to all other phones on dual cores. Dual core really, at this point, is only a marketing tool.

[Basically, vague example, think of a V8 that can make 500 HP but only puts 400 to the wheels vs. a V6 that produces 475 and is putting down 425. Do you still HAVE to have the V8?]

Ok, what other ones would you want? Photos and Music and Video are all taken care of also...

I guess Finance is the only other one that comes to mind...(Multiple banks) But even still...if I want PNC I click the "P" and if I want Chase I click the "C"...how bass akwords would it be to have to click an "F" to go to finance to open it up to go to Chase? If there wasn't the quick skip, search AND Voice-to-App feature there might be a case for it...

Well... I would put photos and music and video and wpforums and photofunia and free ringtones and netflix and yahoo news and app flow and cloud recorder...in (1) "media folder". But as you made it well known, the alphabetical list works perfect for you. Maybe so for other people too, maybe not so. An option for "list" or "folders" would work perfect for everyone..

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Well... I would put photos and music and video and wpforums and photofunia and free ringtones and netflix and yahoo news and app flow and cloud recorder...in (1) "media folder". But as you made it well known, the alphabetical list works perfect for you. Maybe so for other people too, maybe not so. An option for "list" or "folders" would work perfect for everyone..

Are you serious or just trolling me?

Yea...I bought into it...stupid me. :blush:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon