People Hub not showing all Facebook updates

wimv

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Weird problem. My People Hub's What's new feed (in Mango) is not showing all the Facebook updates. It seems like some status updates of some people are missing. Links and other updates from these people DO appear.

In the Facebook app everything is working fine.

Is this a bug? Any ideas to solve this issue?

Thanks!

AndrewakaMJ

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I noticed that yesterday too. Browsing through the people hub looking at statuses, then for some reason (I forget why) I opened the Facebook app, and saw that there were a whole lot more updates there. No idea what the deal is.

Cyterio

May 27, 2011
Visit site
This has been brought up in a few other threads as well. As far as I know, it's not been solved. I would use the people hub exclusively and delete the facebook app if this could be fixed. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with common people you have in both hotmail contacts or messenger and your facebook friends. I have a friend who is only on facebook, when I look at his profile through the people hub it doesn't show any of his status updates, only what other people have posted on his facebook page. Odd. If anyone has any fixes, please share.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed this as well and it definitely has something to do with updates posted from phones. All the missing updates that I've noticed are people posting from Android or iPhone. One of my friends for instance always posts with his iPhone and I never see his updates. But not all mobile updates are missing. I can't figure out what all the missing posts have in common.

Edit: So I noticed a problem with Blackberry posts as well. Definitely an issue with postings from phones.

Last edited:

drunkard

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I have at least one Facebook contact that does not show up in the people hub at all and I have no idea why. There are some people on Facebook that I would not mind hiding, but the one that is missing is my sister!!! I want her to show up, but she doesn't. I've added her manually to my live contacts, but I would love to be able to have her Facebook profile linked like most of my contacts.

wimv

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed this as well and it definitely has something to do with updates posted from phones. All the missing updates that I've noticed are people posting from Android or iPhone. One of my friends for instance always posts with his iPhone and I never see his updates. But not all mobile updates are missing. I can't figure out what all the missing posts have in common.

Edit: So I noticed a problem with Blackberry posts as well. Definitely an issue with postings from phones.

Also some regular status updates (NOT from phones, NOT from apps) are not showing up! Imo this specific issue has nothing to do with updates posted from phones. I can't find a link between all the missing updates. So weird, pretty annoying.

Edit: do you guys have Mango or just NoDo? Curious whether this issue is Mango-related or not.

wimv

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Received this answer at Microsoft Answers: (People Hub not showing all Facebook updates - Microsoft Answers)

Facebook considers Windows Phone to be a third-party app, rather than an official Facebook app. This means Windows Phone only has access to information that is shared with apps and websites.

Each individual has control over what they share (Account > Privacy Settings > Apps and Websites: Edit your settings > Info accessible through your friends: Edit settings). If someone disables "My status updates," their friends will be not be able to see the updates in third-party apps. They will, however, show up on the Facebook website and in official Facebook-branded apps. Turning off platform apps entirely makes the user's whole Facebook profile disappear from Windows Phone.

This can be very annoying, but people should be able to control what they share. The ideal solution would be for Facebook to make Windows Phone an official app. Until that happens, updates from some friends may not appear in the People Hub.

Hope Microsoft can sort this out so that the People Hub will be an official app.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
This is annoying. Isn't MS in bed with FB. Can't they snuggle with Mark and get this done! With Mango, it's nice have the twitter and FB integration, but I'm stilling having to use a app for full support.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Good luck with that. I tried to get the same thing done with the Push/Endpoint problem, which can pretty much cripple the OS. So I don't think we'll see anything about FB. But it's pretty much on FB to allow it to be a official app.
WPcentral should write an article about it so MS fixes it.

Sent from my 7 Trophy T8686 using Board Express

L

lumic

This is insane. It's direct integration, why would Microsoft not push Facebook to provide full access?

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Okay guys, this is a royal pain in the rear-end but if you could all be guinea pigs for me that would be smashing. Message some of your friends who you can't see status updates in the People Hub but can on the website and/or official app to head into their privacy area to enable Status Updates for third-party apps:

> Privacy Settings > Apps and Websites: Edit your settings > How people bring your info to apps they use: Edit your settings

After they've done this, have them post a new status and see if it chimes through in the hub as well as the official app. If it comes through successfully then that's where the privacy setting needs to be altered until Facebook recognises the integration as an official app.

EDIT: This has been confirmed to work, you'll need each and every contact to enable status updates for third-party apps. Good luck.

Last edited:

pimpandoer

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Wow.
This really sucks. After waiting so long for Mango, one of the most important standard WP7 features is being killed after a week of its release. The people hub is the app I use most on my Windows Phone and I really loved the integration with facebook/linkedin/twitter. forced to use also another app for facebook updates is making the people hub not that interesting anymore. You want all the info in one place. The unique sellingpoint of WP7 (put people first) is ruined because of this.I am really sorry to say this, but Microsoft and Facebook should look into this. The workaround as suggested is not ok. People don't like it when you sent them e-mails or contact them to mess around with their privacy settings. They share it already on the web so why change anything? Remember that not all Facebook users are expert computer / phone users.

pimpandoer

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
well, it is since today that it does not work anymore.
using my omnia for more then 10 months now.
It did always work for me. I did not mean that this has something to do with Mango.
I am trying to say that this is most unpleasant news just after a major update.

Dagolara

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
well, it is since today that it does not work anymore.
using my omnia for more then 10 months now.
It did always work for me. I did not mean that this has something to do with Mango.
I am trying to say that this is most unpleasant news just after a major update.

All I'm saying is the the Hub has always been treated as a 3rd party application, Mango didn't break it. Yes it is not optimal and the work around is cumbersome, but it is what it is. I just use the app for updates I want to see. Would I like the Hub to function that way sure, but it isn't that huge of a deal for me. I would suggest going to the feature suggestion page and uprating this item in the hopes that it gets changed in the future.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
It's also important to point out that it's the same way for all platforms, not just WP7. Kind of ironic though, everyone kicks and screams about facebook privacy. And now that they finally give everyone control over privacy, they start to kick and scream about too much privacy. GAH!

pimpandoer

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
again..
I did not say that Mango did break it.
I just find it frustrating to own a great phone with great OS with a fantastic contact manager (people hub) with intergrated Twitter/Facebook client and still have to use another app to get the whole picture. I don't blame Microsoft for this. Just frustrated about it because I am pretty sure I did get all Facebook updates until today. Did Facebook make a change in their privacy policy?

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Again...
It's been like this since launch day, which was back in nov. It's been the same policy since then, and I have seen this issue since then.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro