07-28-2011 03:32 PM
51 123
tools
    They just need to use the xbox live stream here in the UK, most xbox fanboys in store orgasm when I show them my avatar on my phone...
    07-25-2011 10:53 AM
    totally agree on this one... c'mon microsoft, step up the advertising. the zune hd died because of no advertising and it could have been better than the ipod touch. most people dont even know what a zune hd is? when mango is released, it would be very wise to do it with a huge marketing campaign, make deals with the carriers. i dont have a marketing degree and i could come up with something catchy, and practical.
    I didn't even know that the ZuneHD existed at first, I found out about it when I was derping around on the Microsoft site. Microsoft has always been bad at advertising.
    07-25-2011 10:54 AM
    I wonder if Microsoft is spending the money in bringing down the price of the phones ?
    I see alot of phone for 1 penny like the focus and my sister got the trophy for a penny as well ?
    they should be doing adds like Ipad, I see that add about 4 times a day ...
    07-25-2011 11:42 AM
    I wonder if Microsoft is spending the money in bringing down the price of the phones ?
    I see alot of phone for 1 penny like the focus and my sister got the trophy for a penny as well ?
    they should be doing adds like Ipad, I see that add about 4 times a day ...
    Microsoft definitely needs to steal a line from Apple. Apple has a simple ad campaign that is extremely effective.
    07-25-2011 11:46 AM
    blame the REPS not ms....
    07-25-2011 12:08 PM
    Microsoft have been really poor in respect to advertising, they are missing a huge market in the UK by not advertising on the XBOX 360 dashboard. I havent see one thing on the dashboard and imo they should have a section or blade devoted to it.

Even on the phone in the XBOX live section spotlight is terrible, games released on a Wednesday dont go up until Thursday or Friday.

Major Nelson reports very little on wp7 but dont get me started with him, he doesnt even own one.

I have to say orange were really good when I bought the phone but I did do my research on the phone I wanted before I purchased it. (Opted for the HTC Mozart with is very good)
    I'm not sure where they would have pointed me if I didnt already have my mind made up.

Anyway Microsoft really need to step-up in this respect.=D
    07-25-2011 02:13 PM

Microsoft has a 5 year plan with Windows Phone 7. So, if it's a slow year, don't worry, things will pick up when Mango and 2nd gen devices hit in fall. Look towards a Major ad campain and I am sure it will be agressivly targeting what Apple and google don't do....
    No need to wait for Mango. MS themselves tout how anyone who tries it loves the phone. Current users frequently report how they demo the phone to friends and colleagues and they want one, sometimes actually going to purchase one. So whats stopping MS telling people about WP7 themselves when all evidence points to people liking it when they try it? With the current situation no one knows about it so no one is looking to try it, leading to no one buying it. Relying on word of mouth from the small user base is not enough.

If they truly believed in their own hype they should have no problem promoting it now, and detailing the improvements with Mango to whet the appetite even more.
    07-25-2011 03:09 PM
    No need to wait for Mango. MS themselves tout how anyone who tries it loves the phone. Current users frequently report how they demo the phone to friends and colleagues and they want one, sometimes actually going to purchase one. So whats stopping MS telling people about WP7 themselves when all evidence points to people liking it when they try it? With the current situation no one knows about it so no one is looking to try it, leading to no one buying it. Relying on word of mouth from the small user base is not enough.

If they truly believed in their own hype they should have no problem promoting it now, and detailing the improvements with Mango to whet the appetite even more.
    I think MS needs to wait until Mango to really push the ads. Sure, the people who buy the phones really like them. But there are not many people buying right now, and one of the reasons is that the features are not up to the competition yet. And once people get the idea in their heads that Windows Phone is lacking in features, it will be tough to get that out of their heads. So I think you wait for Mango to advertise, once the features are up to snuff.
    07-25-2011 03:52 PM
    I think MS needs to wait until Mango to really push the ads. Sure, the people who buy the phones really like them. But there are not many people buying right now, and one of the reasons is that the features are not up to the competition yet. And once people get the idea in their heads that Windows Phone is lacking in features, it will be tough to get that out of their heads. So I think you wait for Mango to advertise, once the features are up to snuff.
    As I said, the Mango argument is invalid. Why are the users who use and love the phone enjoying it? The lack of features applies to them as well, but it hasnt stopped them enjoying it. Mango is still going to be missing features, should people still wait for those features to arrive before buying? WP7 should still be advertised now, the people who want more features will wait, those who will enjoy the phone for what it is now will do so, but right now even those users arent buying because they dont know about it.
    07-25-2011 04:51 PM
    As I said, the Mango argument is invalid. Why are the users who use and love the phone enjoying it? The lack of features applies to them as well, but it hasnt stopped them enjoying it. Mango is still going to be missing features, should people still wait for those features to arrive before buying? WP7 should still be advertised now, the people who want more features will wait, those who will enjoy the phone for what it is now will do so, but right now even those users arent buying because they dont know about it.
    This.

The biggest "feature" is the pure joy of the WP7 OS itself. There is no need to wait for additional features to push it aggressively now. The best feature is already baked into every Windows phone sold.

Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express
    07-25-2011 05:01 PM
    This.

The biggest "feature" is the pure joy of the WP7 OS itself. There is no need to wait for additional features to push it aggressively now. The best feature is already baked into every Windows phone sold.

Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express
    I get what you guys are saying, I really do. I love my phone and wouldn't trade it for any other. But there's a difference between early adopters / enthusiasts like us and the average consumer / store rep.

The average person looks at the phone and asks, "Can it multitask? Does it have turn-by-turn?" etc. If the answer is no, they won't give it a second thought and that perception will stick in their minds. They won't even try it to see if they like it. This is especially devastating when a store rep thinks this way, as they will steer people away.

Like it or not, this is how most people think.
    sm07 and EJNelly like this.
    07-25-2011 05:30 PM
    I get what you guys are saying, I really do. I love my phone and wouldn't trade it for any other. But there's a difference between early adopters / enthusiasts like us and the average consumer / store rep.

The average person looks at the phone and asks, "Can it multitask? Does it have turn-by-turn?" etc. If the answer is no, they won't give it a second thought and that perception will stick in their minds. They won't even try it to see if they like it. This is especially devastating when a store rep thinks this way, as they will steer people away.

Like it or not, this is how most people think.
    The average user doesn't care about multitasking or turn by turn... They want a pretty looking phone that they know how to use.
    07-25-2011 05:54 PM
    Shouldnt matter though should it? You'd think they'd stock it anyway, in a world where you can still get cases for a nokia 3210 there's no excuse.
    Exactly! I was confused how they couldn't have anything. My girlfriend has a Iphone and gave me this look.. I told her to shut up. Hahaha

You sir have the patience of a saint, i had to get mine on launch day in October.

Only thing that stopped me was no one had the damned thing LOL (Took me 2 weeks to get one grrrr)

Only thing i've bought for mine is BT headphones which I love. Other than that I can't think of any accessory i want.
    Yeah all I wanted was screen protectors and maybe a case.
    07-25-2011 06:34 PM
    Let's throw out a few taglines for the upcoming ad campaign:

Windows Phone... It's on the phone.

It's the phone that gets You... Windows Phone.

Windows Phone... It's Pure Joy in the palm of your hand (stolen from WPDiddy).

Windows Phone... The people phone

Windows Phone... Everything you ever wanted in a phone... and apps too.
    07-26-2011 02:15 AM
    Windows Phone.....wow.
    07-26-2011 02:23 AM
    Windows phone... Whatever you want, Wherever you are.
    07-26-2011 05:38 AM
    Windows phone - Any time, Any place, Any where. :)

(Ok it's been done before, UK oldies may remember it from Martini ads many decades ago) ;)
    07-26-2011 05:46 AM
    Windows Phone - Omni-Phone-Tent
    Winterfang likes this.
    07-26-2011 05:57 AM
    Windows Phone... Just buy it....

Windows phone....you kids will leave you alone. ( lots of kiddy games )

Windows phone...buy it or ill come to your house and burn it down!

Windows Phone... its not a Iphone.. its better.

Windows phone.... Why are yous till sitting on your couch..

Windows phone.. ... Orders Pizza like no other..

Windows Phone .... its not android... its better

Windows phone ... Just Bing it.

and i have one in my Signature ;) lmao!
    07-26-2011 08:38 AM
    They seem to advertise well on the web at least. I see WP ads everywhere, especially on Gawker Media blogs.

They aren't good ads though. LOL.
    07-26-2011 08:57 AM
    They seem to advertise well on the web at least. I see WP ads everywhere, especially on Gawker Media blogs.

They aren't good ads though. LOL.
    I have this problem too, I see WP7 ads all over the web but they some of the most terrible, low res pieces of crap I seen. But at least they are showing you the phone I guess.
    07-26-2011 09:11 AM
    they are lacking advertising for sure , but Wpcentral had a post saying that MS where planing on extending the adds to other countrys ( for example up here in canada ,, ZERo adds for wp7 )

hope they really do it.
    07-26-2011 09:43 AM
    I think the #1 issue by far is the lack of phone awareness...(sorry if all the names I use are stateside only...)

When I say Galaxy S, you know I mean Android...when I say iPhone you know I am talking iOS...Droid...you instantly picture the phone, although now with Incredible, X, 2, yada yada you don't know the exact model, you still know it is an Android phone and the person probably loves it.

We have SOOOO many models and none of them are the front leader! MS needs to take Nokia, put up a phone with ALL the bells and whistles, and advertise THAT phone and sell it on all carriers under the same name. You will need a small separator to denote the inner'ds though, say like WP7s for Sprint, WP7a for AT&T...WP7o for Omnia...WP7t for telnet (did I get the Euro ones right? haha). It was close with the Focus, they used that as the poster boy phone on a lot of the early ads, but people still don't have the recognition that Samsung Focus or HTC Trophy = WP7...

That is what they need to create...you NEVER see an add for the Android OS or iOS...it is ALWAYS for the phone and it is pushing the features, that is what they need to do.

I got my WP7 avatar prop for my US account OK but was too late to get it for my UK one by using the workaround, the ad for it had vanished by the time i was going to get it Grrrrrr.
    It pays to vent your frustrations on the internet...haha. Enjoy the free code/avatar phone!
    07-27-2011 08:56 AM
    I think the #1 issue by far is the lack of phone awareness...(sorry if all the names I use are stateside only...)

When I say Galaxy S, you know I mean Android...when I say iPhone you know I am talking iOS...Droid...you instantly picture the phone, although now with Incredible, X, 2, yada yada you don't know the exact model, you still know it is an Android phone and the person probably loves it.

We have SOOOO many models and none of them are the front leader! MS needs to take Nokia, put up a phone with ALL the bells and whistles, and advertise THAT phone and sell it on all carriers under the same name. You will need a small separator to denote the inner'ds though, say like WP7s for Sprint, WP7a for AT&T...WP7o for Omnia...WP7t for telnet (did I get the Euro ones right? haha). It was close with the Focus, they used that as the poster boy phone on a lot of the early ads, but people still don't have the recognition that Samsung Focus or HTC Trophy = WP7...

That is what they need to create...you NEVER see an add for the Android OS or iOS...it is ALWAYS for the phone and it is pushing the features, that is what they need to do.
    !

little problem with this approaches. Often what happens is that Carriers will BID to have access to Exclusive Phones for Specific Carriers

meaning, up here in Canada ROGERS has the Samsung FOCUS and BELL is not allowed to have it . so we got the HTC HD7 and the Quantum that rogers cant have.....

its REALLY stupid to this in the sens that it limits clients to a specific carrier for the phone they want ( i work for BELL and i have a FREE cell phone line , but i had to do a 3year term with Rogers ( so now i have 2 cells ) so i could get my FOCUS!! 

its a marketing problem we have because carriers try to attract clients to a specific carrier with BETTER phones..

So trying to have 1 Flag ship phone on ALL carriers is NEVER gona happen. Evan when the Iphone Originally came out ( the first one ) only ROGERS had it , TELUS / bell / virgin where ALL left behind. Witch made ROGERS make ALLOT OF CASH!! For being exclusive Iphone Retailers in Canada,

see what I mean? I know its DUMB but sadly its how it works. Who ever has the Most cash or is willing to spend the most cash gets the better phone. UNLESS Nokia /Samsung /HTC speciflicly say that ALL carriers are allowed to have it ,, its never gona happened. ( this give them more cash, Nokia , samsung , htc , lf ect.. )
    07-27-2011 09:59 AM
    see what I mean? I know its DUMB but sadly its how it works. Who ever has the Most cash or is willing to spend the most cash gets the better phone. UNLESS Nokia /Samsung /HTC speciflicly say that ALL carriers are allowed to have it ,, its never gona happened. ( this give them more cash, Nokia , samsung , htc , lf ect.. )
    I know what you mean, and thought I addressed it in my post. Right now there is an HTC HD7 on T-Mobile in the States, Bell in Canada. However AT&T and T-Mobile use all the same technology so HTC could easily pump out an HD7s for AT&T with little testing and a 6 month delay. (HD7 was Nov 8, HD7s was June 5)

Yes, I know they do all the exclusive contracts and all that we get this phone for X time...but that is all to the benefit of the carrier. They kick money to Apple to say "We get your iPhone for this contract's time" and Apple says "OK, that is more then we would make taking it cross carrier so it works for us".

I also used the example of the Samsung Galaxy S phones. I know they are different elsewhere but in the States it was 4 phones all released around the same time with different builds but one for each carrier. I just felt Samsung needed to do that for the Focus also... I doubt AT&T is paying some huge premium to make the HTC Surround an exclusive phone still!!!
    07-27-2011 12:16 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD