Advertising Microsoft.. Really ?

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
totally agree on this one... c'mon microsoft, step up the advertising. the zune hd died because of no advertising and it could have been better than the ipod touch. most people dont even know what a zune hd is? when mango is released, it would be very wise to do it with a huge marketing campaign, make deals with the carriers. i dont have a marketing degree and i could come up with something catchy, and practical.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Been here before, we'll have to wait and see if MS has learnt their lesson from a year of poor sales. If they havent, its bye bye WP7.

mindfrost82

Aug 27, 2009
Visit site
I'm hoping they're waiting to get Mango out since it will mean all new devices too. Our existing ones will be upgraded, but they're also not really coming out with any new NoDo devices now that they have some on the 4 major US carriers.

Now we're waiting for Mango devices to come out and I'm hoping we'll see the TV ads rev up again.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm hoping they're waiting to get Mango out since it will mean all new devices too. Our existing ones will be upgraded, but they're also not really coming out with any new NoDo devices now that they have some on the 4 major US carriers.

Now we're waiting for Mango devices to come out and I'm hoping we'll see the TV ads rev up again.

About 2 weeks ago, I was traveling in NY(long Island) and I heard a radio ad for Verizon and Windows Phone 7, 2-3 times actually in a 1 hour window(a Pop/top 40 station). SO they are out there (first one I heard with verizon promoting it tho).

I agree with you, I think the big push is going to be when mango devices hit. Microsoft did a lot of ads when it first came out, they even pushed into the new year. Now it's word of mouth time, people who have them will talk about them, sales people (who are not apple fanboys) will show them the options and let them look at them.

Sales and other aspects show that WP7 is doing pretty well in the marketplace, Not Apple or Android good but, over all a lot better than a lot of people expected for a 8 month old phone/OS.

Time will tell but, it will be here...

Been here before, we'll have to wait and see if MS has learnt their lesson from a year of poor sales. If they havent, its bye bye WP7.

Microsoft has a 5 year plan with Windows Phone 7. So, if it's a slow year, don't worry, things will pick up when Mango and 2nd gen devices hit in fall. Look towards a Major ad campain and I am sure it will be agressivly targeting what Apple and google don't do....

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
totally agree on this one... c'mon microsoft, step up the advertising. the zune hd died because of no advertising and it could have been better than the ipod touch. most people dont even know what a zune hd is? when mango is released, it would be very wise to do it with a huge marketing campaign, make deals with the carriers. i dont have a marketing degree and i could come up with something catchy, and practical.

I didn't even know that the ZuneHD existed at first, I found out about it when I was derping around on the Microsoft site. Microsoft has always been bad at advertising.

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if Microsoft is spending the money in bringing down the price of the phones ?
I see alot of phone for 1 penny like the focus and my sister got the trophy for a penny as well ?
they should be doing adds like Ipad, I see that add about 4 times a day ...

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if Microsoft is spending the money in bringing down the price of the phones ?
I see alot of phone for 1 penny like the focus and my sister got the trophy for a penny as well ?
they should be doing adds like Ipad, I see that add about 4 times a day ...

Microsoft definitely needs to steal a line from Apple. Apple has a simple ad campaign that is extremely effective.

YIP YOO

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft have been really poor in respect to advertising, they are missing a huge market in the UK by not advertising on the XBOX 360 dashboard. I havent see one thing on the dashboard and imo they should have a section or blade devoted to it.

Even on the phone in the XBOX live section spotlight is terrible, games released on a Wednesday dont go up until Thursday or Friday.

Major Nelson reports very little on wp7 but dont get me started with him, he doesnt even own one.

I have to say orange were really good when I bought the phone but I did do my research on the phone I wanted before I purchased it. (Opted for the HTC Mozart with is very good)
I'm not sure where they would have pointed me if I didnt already have my mind made up.

Anyway Microsoft really need to step-up in this respect.=D

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Microsoft has a 5 year plan with Windows Phone 7. So, if it's a slow year, don't worry, things will pick up when Mango and 2nd gen devices hit in fall. Look towards a Major ad campain and I am sure it will be agressivly targeting what Apple and google don't do....

No need to wait for Mango. MS themselves tout how anyone who tries it loves the phone. Current users frequently report how they demo the phone to friends and colleagues and they want one, sometimes actually going to purchase one. So whats stopping MS telling people about WP7 themselves when all evidence points to people liking it when they try it? With the current situation no one knows about it so no one is looking to try it, leading to no one buying it. Relying on word of mouth from the small user base is not enough.

If they truly believed in their own hype they should have no problem promoting it now, and detailing the improvements with Mango to whet the appetite even more.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
No need to wait for Mango. MS themselves tout how anyone who tries it loves the phone. Current users frequently report how they demo the phone to friends and colleagues and they want one, sometimes actually going to purchase one. So whats stopping MS telling people about WP7 themselves when all evidence points to people liking it when they try it? With the current situation no one knows about it so no one is looking to try it, leading to no one buying it. Relying on word of mouth from the small user base is not enough.

If they truly believed in their own hype they should have no problem promoting it now, and detailing the improvements with Mango to whet the appetite even more.

I think MS needs to wait until Mango to really push the ads. Sure, the people who buy the phones really like them. But there are not many people buying right now, and one of the reasons is that the features are not up to the competition yet. And once people get the idea in their heads that Windows Phone is lacking in features, it will be tough to get that out of their heads. So I think you wait for Mango to advertise, once the features are up to snuff.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I think MS needs to wait until Mango to really push the ads. Sure, the people who buy the phones really like them. But there are not many people buying right now, and one of the reasons is that the features are not up to the competition yet. And once people get the idea in their heads that Windows Phone is lacking in features, it will be tough to get that out of their heads. So I think you wait for Mango to advertise, once the features are up to snuff.

As I said, the Mango argument is invalid. Why are the users who use and love the phone enjoying it? The lack of features applies to them as well, but it hasnt stopped them enjoying it. Mango is still going to be missing features, should people still wait for those features to arrive before buying? WP7 should still be advertised now, the people who want more features will wait, those who will enjoy the phone for what it is now will do so, but right now even those users arent buying because they dont know about it.

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
As I said, the Mango argument is invalid. Why are the users who use and love the phone enjoying it? The lack of features applies to them as well, but it hasnt stopped them enjoying it. Mango is still going to be missing features, should people still wait for those features to arrive before buying? WP7 should still be advertised now, the people who want more features will wait, those who will enjoy the phone for what it is now will do so, but right now even those users arent buying because they dont know about it.

This.

The biggest "feature" is the pure joy of the WP7 OS itself. There is no need to wait for additional features to push it aggressively now. The best feature is already baked into every Windows phone sold.

Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
This.

The biggest "feature" is the pure joy of the WP7 OS itself. There is no need to wait for additional features to push it aggressively now. The best feature is already baked into every Windows phone sold.

Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express
I get what you guys are saying, I really do. I love my phone and wouldn't trade it for any other. But there's a difference between early adopters / enthusiasts like us and the average consumer / store rep.

The average person looks at the phone and asks, "Can it multitask? Does it have turn-by-turn?" etc. If the answer is no, they won't give it a second thought and that perception will stick in their minds. They won't even try it to see if they like it. This is especially devastating when a store rep thinks this way, as they will steer people away.

Like it or not, this is how most people think.

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I get what you guys are saying, I really do. I love my phone and wouldn't trade it for any other. But there's a difference between early adopters / enthusiasts like us and the average consumer / store rep.

The average person looks at the phone and asks, "Can it multitask? Does it have turn-by-turn?" etc. If the answer is no, they won't give it a second thought and that perception will stick in their minds. They won't even try it to see if they like it. This is especially devastating when a store rep thinks this way, as they will steer people away.

Like it or not, this is how most people think.

The average user doesn't care about multitasking or turn by turn... They want a pretty looking phone that they know how to use.

BORIStheBLADE

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Shouldnt matter though should it? You'd think they'd stock it anyway, in a world where you can still get cases for a nokia 3210 there's no excuse.

Exactly! I was confused how they couldn't have anything. My girlfriend has a Iphone and gave me this look.. I told her to shut up. Hahaha

You sir have the patience of a saint, i had to get mine on launch day in October.

Only thing that stopped me was no one had the damned thing LOL (Took me 2 weeks to get one grrrr)

Only thing i've bought for mine is BT headphones which I love. Other than that I can't think of any accessory i want.

Yeah all I wanted was screen protectors and maybe a case.

Wyn6

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Let's throw out a few taglines for the upcoming ad campaign:

Windows Phone... It's on the phone.

It's the phone that gets You... Windows Phone.

Windows Phone... It's Pure Joy in the palm of your hand (stolen from WPDiddy).

Windows Phone... The people phone

Windows Phone... Everything you ever wanted in a phone... and apps too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos