Advertising Microsoft.. Really ?

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Am I the only one that thinks Microsoft Needs to do more advertising ?
what happened to that 1/2 a billion in advertising ?

I see nothing in the US
I do know that in Novermer they did stuff on ATT but that was it
now that sprint and verizon have Windows Phones I have not seen 1 Add on either carrier
even T Mobile has 2 phones and 0 advertising.

I see adds on the web all over the place but we need this on TV ...
we need that Droid add Drilled into our heads like everone else in the US Knows what a Droid is.. There is no Reason why this is not a Windows Add over and over, My GOD they can Push ZUNE PASS, XBOX Gaming, FACEBOOK Intergration Pictures HUB.. So on and So on
they can even talk about how in less than 1 year they are #3 in Apps in the App Hub passing Blackberry ..

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
After winter ended, I didn't see another WP7 ad on TV. Microsoft has pushed up their advertising in stores, by putting in large demo kiosks in Best buy, etc, but their advertising is crap.

As someone else suggested, fire the advertising team, start over, and steal a line from Apple. Make short, simple commercials that highlight the phones capabilities.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Same here in the UK. I think i saw one WP7 ad in October last year, I've never seen one since. Needless to say i see Android, iphone and ipad ads constantly.

If only Microsoft would show potential customers what the phone can do instead of arty farty ads, they could really be onto a winning campaign.

They already have a winner in my eyes but it's not me they have to convince.

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Same here in the UK. I think i saw one WP7 ad in October last year, I've never seen one since. Needless to say i see Android, iphone and ipad ads constantly.

If only Microsoft would show potential customers what the phone can do instead of arty farty ads, they could really be onto a winning campaign.

They already have a winner in my eyes but it's not me they have to convince.

I think the main problem Microsoft had with their ads, was that they advertised the phone as a get in, get out fast phone. When most people want to spend a ****load of time on their smartphones. While the advertisements were appealing to me, as I had been wishing for a live-tile style ability for iOS, as I was tired of opening up apps just to get simple information; the advertisements didn't appeal to that many people, and they didn't highlight all the features the OS had to offer.

PineappleJoe

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm with Weebear, from my own research I bounded into an orange shop ready to get my phone, asked the guy about it and he knew nothing. Because he was told nothing. Even the microsoft rep who comes into our store uses an iphone. Ironically since seeing my phone (samsung omnia 7) a number of friends have been converted, guess it's up to me!

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Indeed PineappleJoe same here, i went into my 3 store on launch day and guess what, not a single WP7 in sight, no one had even heard of it, same with the other network stores, none had a single WP7 handset.

I had to wait about a fortnight before I was able to get one.

Like yourself (and no doubt a lot of others) anyone I have showed my Omnia to just say wow that's so easy to use.

So far i have converted 4 to the platform, 2 from iPhone and 2 from Android.

They have no regrets whatsoever in changing. Any more and I will me asking Microsoft for commission. LOL :)

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm with Weebear, from my own research I bounded into an orange shop ready to get my phone, asked the guy about it and he knew nothing. Because he was told nothing. Even the microsoft rep who comes into our store uses an iphone. Ironically since seeing my phone (samsung omnia 7) a number of friends have been converted, guess it's up to me!

As of this point in time, all Microsoft representatives in the US are required to own a WP7 phone. My cousin works for the Microsoft marketing team, she used to have an iPhone, but Microsoft forced the team to switch.

jesdt

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Early this year, Microsoft had a huge ad campaign in Germany, with tv spots, Vodafone and Telekom posters everywhere on the streets, it was quite prominent. Though, my guess would be that this wasn't as successful as expected.

Probably the most successful campaign are the huge discounts granted on WP7 devices lately. I got my 16GB Omnia 7 for 200€ at a Telekom Shop (without contract!), which usually tries to sell it for ridiculous 600€. They even had it at 180€ for 2 weeks previously. LG Optimus is sold at 150 bucks, another from HTC at 220€. I don't have to tell you that quality hard- and software like this is selling like hot cake. I'm pretty sure, at least here, this helped to spread WP7 in the crowd.

condemned

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Mango should've been released earlier, like in June or something.

Honestly, Nodo wasn't that good of an update. Copy/paste, faster app/game load times, and all the other minor stuff like WiFi improvements should have been there from the start.

1 year in the tech industry can change a lot.

PineappleJoe

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
As of this point in time, all Microsoft representatives in the US are required to own a WP7 phone. My cousin works for the Microsoft marketing team, she used to have an iPhone, but Microsoft forced the team to switch.

Yeah sorry fella, meant no disrespect!

Just says something here in the UK when the rep knows less than me!

The american Xbox at least had some info in their xbox live stream about it (with free avatar prop that I procured at great expense =D)

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Mango should've been released earlier, like in June or something.

Honestly, Nodo wasn't that good of an update. Copy/paste, faster app/game load times, and all the other minor stuff like WiFi improvements should have been there from the start.

1 year in the tech industry can change a lot.

I agree. The average consumer has already made up his/her mind on the platform, assuming that they've even heard of WP7. Microsoft really needs to pick up their advertising once mango launches, change everyones mind about what WP7 is.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I got my WP7 avatar prop for my US account OK but was too late to get it for my UK one by using the workaround, the ad for it had vanished by the time i was going to get it Grrrrrr.

BORIStheBLADE

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Here's another one besides that.. After buying my HTC Trophy I went to three Verizon stores in my area and none of them had one accessory for my WP7 phone.

Mind you I pick up my phone months after launch..

PineappleJoe

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Here's another one besides that.. After buying my HTC Trophy I went to three Verizon stores in my area and none of them had one accessory for my WP7 phone.

Shouldnt matter though should it? You'd think they'd stock it anyway, in a world where you can still get cases for a nokia 3210 there's no excuse.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site

You sir have the patience of a saint, i had to get mine on launch day in October.

Only thing that stopped me was no one had the damned thing LOL (Took me 2 weeks to get one grrrr)

Only thing i've bought for mine is BT headphones which I love. Other than that I can't think of any accessory i want.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3