Just learned something....

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah... I am a typical guy, never read the manual/instructions and never stop to ask for directions! :)

LMAO i second that , but must phones dont come with Instructions now , you have to go on your OEM website to Dl a PDF fille. to save trees :p ( in canada any ways ) not like we have a shortige of trees up here but you know.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm amazed that so many people didn't know about this lol it's been there since launch, I even knew that feature was there before i had my HD7 lol.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Just got my first wp7 device yesterday, had already used not mom approved language over this very issue! I am however pleasantly surprised at how easy things are to pick up with this OS. Thanks for the tip.

jdunn

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Wow, really. I've been doing this since I can remember. I think was there pre-NoDo.

I know right? I thought that this was kinda self explanatory, and I didn't read manuals either, although I watched plenty of videos, so maybe I picked it up from one of them. It is a nice feature though, glad everyone has discovered it.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I figured it out the first week I had my Arrive by accident. I have seen it posted before but its been a while. it is a very useful feature.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, this has been available since launch. If I remember correctly, the feature was shown off in videos before the phone launched as well, which I'm pretty sure is how I found out about it. Either that or I tried it because the iPhone has a similar feature.

Still, glad to see people discover something they never knew about their phones.

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
WP7 is so intuitive, features like this revealed themselves progressively to me within hours of playing with my Focus for the first time. I'm also amazed at how many people didn't know about it. Quite useful one!

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. Yeah, I don't remember this not being there from pre-nodo. I just choose not to use it. I rather select the word and type it over. Works faster for me than waiting for the cursor to select where I want it to go. Also doesn't seem like it's too accurate, at least for me.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. Yeah, I don't remember this not being there from pre-nodo. I just choose not to use it. I rather select the word and type it over. Works faster for me than waiting for the cursor to select where I want it to go. Also doesn't seem like it's too accurate, at least for me.
If the insertion beam is off by a character or two, I gently roll my thumb in the direction I need while still keeping it on the screen. Takes a bit of skill to use though.

rpm5101

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
You guys didn't know that? haha I guess it's just something I figured out early on.

Has anyone noticed you can long press letters to bring up accented letters?

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Yup. And long pressing the period brings up different punctuation depending on the keyboard. Long pressing different things really unlocks some nifty extras, although a lot of these are similar among smartphone platforms.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I just discovered this recently.

Say you send someone a text (or you receive a text) and you need to Copy just the info in that text. Press and hold on the colored box. After like 2 seconds a drop down menu will appear and it will give you the option to Delete, Forward, or Copy.

Comes in handy when someone sends you a long text with info that you need to pass on.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
There is a lot of press and hold everywhere in this os, which i like. So when in doubt, press and hold..

Yep! When you every think "I wish it did _____"...try a long press/hold and see if it is one of the options. more times than not, it IS!

Yup. And long pressing the period brings up different punctuation depending on the keyboard. Long pressing different things really unlocks some nifty extras, although a lot of these are similar among smartphone platforms.

To clearify for others...he means press/hold the period on the keyboard, NOT in the typed text like the other issue that was just found.

Also, another helpful keyboard tip. If you want just one number/character, when you press the "&123" or "Shift"...if you press/hold and while still holding drag your finger to the number you want and let go, it will give you that number and put you back to the text keyboard. (Example: "Meet me in room 2B" or any Canadian Zipcode!) Sorry...not sure how postal codes work overseas.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs