WiFi Tethering

Dave32

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
I have read that Microsoft blames the lack of Wifi tethering on the carriers, is it possible to put some pressure on MS/carriers/OEM/ODM's to have wifi tethering included. I am in Canada, our carriers seem happy to have us use our data buckets for Wifi tethering on Android.

For me, if I had to choose between Android and Windows Phone 7 as only device, tethering would be #1 reason to abandon Windows Phone 7.

I think MS need to have the base features that other platforms have plus plus plus to beat RIM to # 3 and have any chance of moving past Android and IOS.

Just my opinion, however, I am not alone!!!

Hope you read this Joe B!!!!

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
well first , im pretty sure WIFI tethering is coming in the upcoming updates .. mango or apalo or tango w/e its gona be called.

and USb connecting is better any ways ( unless you wana connect to a Xbox or have 2-3 PC drain your data and slow you down. ) in witch case your better getting a Turbo HUB. 14mb cell? or 42mb turbo hub? you decide witch is best )

but i did like the WIFI tether on my WM phone , awesome for when i was at my cottage.

And tethering is not used by many people so its not a priority, **** most people with Smartphone’s dont Evan know wtf THETHERING is..

you should see me explain to client how they can use their phones as modems,, there eyes LIGHT UP like Xmas trees...* I CAN DO THAT??* lmao!!!

Dave32

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

Thank You, nice to have a fellow Canadian chime in so quickly..sweet

I am on Telus..they are the slow dumb kid that waits until everyone else does something!!

Telus does not have multiple honing SIM's that share a data bucket...guess the brain trust at Telus has not figured out if they count the 2nd SIM as a new activation, this may add to their activation's at move them out of last place in the national race for #1 in market share.

If by chance the Telus idiots add 2nd SIM sharing, the issue of have wifi tethering may go away.

Today, I have a HTC Desire HD that supports 14.4MB and has wifi tethering, the issue is just when choosing what phone to use for the day, Focus seldom wins due to lack of wifi tethering.

jesdt

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
There is no sign of an official tethering feature. Mango won't support it, and there is nothing out on any of the software updates beyond. Knowing carriers, I wouldn't be too optimistic about that.

I'd also say, WiFi Tethering is way better than USB-bound usability-wise. I'm extensively using tethering as my only internet connection in my appartment (previously with Samsng Wave and a Pre 2). Tethering also sucks crazy amount of battery power, recharging on USB just barely makes up for it. WiFi would allow you to plug it into a real charger!

Nevertheless, there is a USB tethering workaround for LG and Samsung devices. So nothing is lost! That was the reason I sold my Mozart for an Omnia 7. You can unlock the hidden USB-Modem feature with a few codes to access manufacturer options. It's not utterly smooth to setup as you need to reboot if you previously synced it with Zune and deactivate mobile data use.

Official WiFi tethering with better "on the go" support is the feature I yearn for most.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Tethering IS used by a lot of people. Thats why Verizon and AT&T are so fierce about tracking it down! And was a factor in data caps. Sprint actually offers a reasonable pay by the day plan. (If you wanna do it by the book).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720