Mango - Twitter hack?

gerrymad

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Just curious if anybody has run into trouble with Twitter on Mango. I have a twitter account from which I have sent a total of 15 tweets over 2 years. I actually only log in to see other peoples tweets once a month or so. Clearly I am not a heavy user so the opportunites for somebody to have hacked my password while I am logging onto Twitter are pretty slim. I haven't connected from my PC in months.

It may be coincidental, but I just added Twitter to my People hub in Mango. This uses Live to access my Twitter account. Today I look on my timeline in my people hub and decided I didn't want to follow a service which sends way too many tweets. I connected to Twitter using the official twitter app on my phone and unfollow this service. All of a sudden I notice that I have just sent out a pure spam tweet telling about how I made $420 writing some article and there was a shortened URL in the tweet. I logged into Twitter from my PC and deleted the tweet and changed my password.

My issue is that I have never had anything like that happen. Perhaps the timing is mere coincidence, but the only new thing I have done was to add the integration to Mango via live.

Nettwerk

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Well do you have installed some cracked apps onyour PC? There not WP7, fault. Check your computer, trojan, malware, etc rubbish.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

gerrymad

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
No cracked apps on my PC. I don't use Twitter from my PC. In fact the only reason I even logged into Twitter from my PC today was to change my password.

The reason I mentioned WP7 or perhaps Live as a possible culprit as that is the only way I have accessed twitter in the last 3 months. Also this happened 2 days after I added Mango integration and 10 minutes after I logged in using the Twitter app on the phone.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I am logged in to Twitter on my Mango Arrive I have not had anything like that happen to me. You stated "I didn't want to follow a service which sends way too many tweets." Is there any way that service could have hacked your Twitter account. Seams odd that the minute you unfollow that service you get Spammed. I would start there. I highly doubt that WP or Mange had anything to do with this security breach.

gerrymad

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I doubt it was a Mango issue. It's just the timing is so odd that it happened around the time that I added Twitter to my feed people feed The member I decided to unfollow is not likely to be evil. It was Download Free and Best Windows Phone 7 Apps, Books and Games Directory, News, Review, Devices which provides legitimate information. It was just too much for my tastes. Also just to clarify I didn't get spammed. My account posted an evil spam/tweet that I did not create.

I can't rule out anything. I just put this question out there just to be sure there was no trend developing within Mango or the integration with Live and the people hub. If nobody else has a similar problem then it is likley something else which is what I really hope to be the case.

I'm still not sure about this whole Twitter thing as a concept in any case although I am starting to get the feeling the internet is beginning to catch on.

gerrymad

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
check your rights management for 3rd party applications: Twitter
there might just be one which is sending tweets on your behalf.

Thanks, I checked and I have the following:

Mobile Web by Twitter: Twitter Mobile Web
Twitter for Windows Phone: Twitter client for Windows Phone
WindowsLive by Microsoft Windows Live: Application for Windows Phone (via Windows Live)
Panoramic moTweets by Panoramic Software Inc.
TweetDeck by TweetDeck

Nothing odd there that I can see. The first 2 are from Twitter, the 3rd is Live for the people hub. I assume moTweets is trustable as is TweetDeck although I haven't used TweetDeck in months so I guess I could get rid of it.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720