Mango - too social network oriented?

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
@Big D5 Agree!! Folks always ask for this feature and that feature....when they get it they complain about it.

Anyone else find it funny he posted like that in a forum thread about Twitter?

You know, we have "Quote Post" so we don't have to talk like we are on Twitter! haha

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes, you can (like/unlike posts etc).

You can like individual comments within a thread in Mango? Did they implement that in the People hub? They have always had the ability to like a wall post in People and the FB app, but not specific comments within that post. It's a major oversight IMO.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
No you can't. You can like the initial comment, but not comments within the thread.
You can like individual comments within a thread in Mango? Did they implement that in the People hub? They have always had the ability to like a wall post in People and the FB app, but not specific comments within that post. It's a major oversight IMO.

Last edited:

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
If you don't want FB and T don't add the accounts. Windows Phone has the most secure OS and with Office and Skydrive added to the mix it gives businesses the most options. When it comes to a smart phone platform isn't that what we want choice?

While I agree that WP7 is a GREAT OS and will be much improved after Mango, I have to respectfully disagree about it being "the most secure OS" and having Office. Coming from a BlackBerry environment, and not even having an Enterprise Server, I can tell you that BlackBerry is MUCH more secure. Little things like limiting the lock screen password to 4 digits is much less secure.

As far as it having Office, it at best has an ultra-stripped down Office compatible suite. Formulas in Excel can't be entered (although I've heard that improves in Mango) and it's a pain to move between multiple sheets in a spreadsheet. Even the crappy Docs to Go on my BlackBerry worked better.

All that said, I still prefer the WP7 OS and I truly believe that, in time, it will mature and improve in those areas. With Mango's release, I will be once again moving back to WP7.

And, just to keep this thread somewhat on topic, my wife just got her new HTC Trophy over the weekend and she likes it so far even though she doesn't have a Facebook account, or Twitter, or any other social networking accounts. I think they're a great plus for those who do have such accounts but not having them doesn't preclude the usefulness of WP7 in the least.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
BlackBerry is secure, to a fault. Having to ALL your information going to a 3rd party sucks.

Office on the phone is excellent. I use it about 4 times a week. I would NEVER want to input formulas into a excel spreadsheet on a phone. To move from one page to another in excell, you simply hit "outline" and it displays all the pages that are on the spreadsheet. Don't get much easier than that. Word on WP7 is better than Docs to Go that I used on my blackberry Bold 9000, hands down. Not even close.

I dont think you've used Office on a WP7. It's pretty damn handy.
While I agree that WP7 is a GREAT OS and will be much improved after Mango, I have to respectfully disagree about it being "the most secure OS" and having Office. Coming from a BlackBerry environment, and not even having an Enterprise Server, I can tell you that BlackBerry is MUCH more secure. Little things like limiting the lock screen password to 4 digits is much less secure.

As far as it having Office, it at best has an ultra-stripped down Office compatible suite. Formulas in Excel can't be entered (although I've heard that improves in Mango) and it's a pain to move between multiple sheets in a spreadsheet. Even the crappy Docs to Go on my BlackBerry worked better.

All that said, I still prefer the WP7 OS and I truly believe that, in time, it will mature and improve in those areas. With Mango's release, I will be once again moving back to WP7.

And, just to keep this thread somewhat on topic, my wife just got her new HTC Trophy over the weekend and she likes it so far even though she doesn't have a Facebook account, or Twitter, or any other social networking accounts. I think they're a great plus for those who do have such accounts but not having them doesn't preclude the usefulness of WP7 in the least.

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
BlackBerry is secure, to a fault. Having to ALL your information going to a 3rd party sucks.

Office on the phone is excellent. I use it about 4 times a week. I would NEVER want to input formulas into a excel spreadsheet on a phone. To move from one page to another in excell, you simply hit "outline" and it displays all the pages that are on the spreadsheet. Don't get much easier than that. Word on WP7 is better than Docs to Go that I used on my blackberry Bold 9000, hands down. Not even close.

I dont think you've used Office on a WP7. It's pretty damn handy.

While I appreciate your comments about the risk of having all your data going to a third party with BlackBerry, where do you think all your data is currently being stored? On Google's servers for Gmail, Microsoft's servers for Live/hotmail, on Facebook's servers for Facebook... BlackBerry has a vested interest in keeping your private data private because that's where they make all their money - in their reputation. MS, Google, Facebook? They make their money in mining your data, although with MS, the argument could be made it is less the case than with Facebook and Google.

And trust me when I say I truly tried to make MS Office on WP7 work, Excel in particular. I live and die by HUGE spreadsheets and while I never hope to do extensive editing on huge spreadsheets, it would be nice if graphs displayed properly, or that file formats that MS has devised, such as .xlsm, could be be saved as such. I know you can switch between sheets by going through the menus but when I save a file with the third sheet showing, why must it start on the first sheet every time? And making it easier could be done but having the tabs displayed at the bottom of the sheet, just like regular Excel.

As I say, none of this is to say WP7 is not a good mobile OS. I love it. And when Mango gets released and new handsets available on Verizon, I will be the first in line to buy it, as I was when the HTC Trophy. I was the first person to buy one from the main Verizon store in Bethesda. But EVERY OS has strengths and weaknesses and it's a good thing to be able to see the pros AND the cons and make your decision. I've made mine and it will be WP7 Mango.

(BTW, is the jaxstate in your name from Jacksonville State University in Alabama? I grew up "down the street" in Anniston. Go Gamecocks!)

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
By third party I ment going through BIS/BES servers along with regular traffic. Yeppers. I went to JSU in Jacksonville, Al. I lived there for 4 years. Great little city. GO GAMECOCKS!

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers