Mango - too social network oriented?

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Sure it's gonna be the king of that with all the social network integration in the People hub. The media hub will be excellent too. But what makes the iOS so special are all the specialty apps that don't fit it any potential "hubs". Things like music tuners and digital compasses. If WP7 doesn't have that full spectrum of apps, it will be relegated to teeny boppers.

jogabonitos

Jul 24, 2011
wp-7.pl
I think that now everything is going to be integrated with social netwos, specially FB, T, and propabbly G+. I also think that it comes to be very childish and should work only somewhere in the background.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
First and foremost, a WP7 handset should be a good PHONE. It needs gyroscope, accelerometer, magnetometer, proximity sensors. These are all fundamental to a great smartphone! Not just Twittering all day long.

Last edited:

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
If you don't want FB and T don't add the accounts. Windows Phone has the most secure OS and with Office and Skydrive added to the mix it gives businesses the most options. When it comes to a smart phone platform isn't that what we want choice?

Sent from my T7575 using Board Express

jesdt

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Afaik, Apple doesn't build those music tuners and digital compasses themselves - 3rd party developers do. What hinders them to build the same app for WP7? Nothing. So WP7 certainly won't be lacking on that.

If you are no fan of social networks baked right into the OS, maybe you want to try out the media hub, marketplace hub or office hub?

Microsoft isn't focusing too much on something as long as it's not lacking something else.

UpTownDC

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
@Big D5 Agree!! Folks always ask for this feature and that feature....when they get it they complain about it. If they don't want FB,twitter or WLM then dont add it. For me personally if it didnt have an app that I wanted...I think that I would survive...remember folks it's only a phone.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I hope they make it even MORE networky. Intergrate G+, MySpace and Tumblr. I love my social networks.

BORIStheBLADE

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Everything is social network oriented now.
I tried the social hub with twitter and FB, but the lack of features made me delete the accounts and use third party apps. Some people its perfect and some its not.

To me it looks like companies try to bring people in with the social network carrots. I wish they would worry about other stuff too.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Everything is social network oriented now.
I tried the social hub with twitter and FB, but the lack of features made me delete the accounts and use third party apps. Some people its perfect and some its not.

To me it looks like companies try to bring people in with the social network carrots. I wish they would worry about other stuff too.

There's a big debate on G+ right now about Google deleting business accounts. I hope they never institute it. I don't want marketing in my stream.

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
First and foremost, a WP7 handset should be a good PHONE. It needs gyroscope, accelerometer, magnetometer, proximity sensors. These are all fundamental to a great smartphone! Not just Twittering all day long.

It doesn't NEED any of that. All of those features are just gimmicks used to make you buy a different smartphone.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I hope they make it even MORE networky. Intergrate G+, MySpace and Tumblr. I love my social networks.
Agreed, although I'd probably wait an OS upgrade cycle or two on those networks just to see where they're headed before bothering to code them in. Social networks are one of those things that pretty much everyone uses, so it makes sense to have them on the phone. And I'm kinda surprised to see Tumblr mentioned. I happen to like it, but I hardly ever see it mentioned anywhere.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
The problem with the integration is that you can't access all the features of Facebook from the aggregate view. You can't like/unlike a post/comment and many other things I'm sure. This integration is not as deep as MSFT advertises.

ajstockdale

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
The problem with the integration is that you can't access all the features of Facebook from the aggregate view. You can't like/unlike a post/comment and many other things I'm sure. This integration is not as deep as MSFT advertises.

Yes, you can (like/unlike posts etc).

Furthermore, all Windows Phones have digital compasses, accelerometers and so on. Mango devices will have gyroscopes (essentially a more accurate accelerometer). Mango exposes APIs that enable access to digital compasses. Many of these apps are already there, and Mango enables further acccess to the hardware.

WP7 was a damn good release, and Mango builds upon that with platform parity with it's competitors, in addition to the deep social integration. It really is having your cake and eating it. It does all this great stuff, and then it also has this integration. You seem to think it's one, or the other. WP7 is both.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site

Furthermore, all Windows Phones have digital compasses, accelerometers and so on. Mango devices will have gyroscopes (essentially a more accurate accelerometer). Mango exposes APIs that enable access to digital compasses. Many of these apps are already there, and Mango enables further acccess to the hardware.

WP7 was a damn good release, and Mango builds upon that with platform parity with it's competitors, in addition to the deep social integration. It really is having your cake and eating it. It does all this great stuff, and then it also has this integration. You seem to think it's one, or the other. WP7 is both.

At this point Mango has to be released so we can see all 500 features. I'd figure many of them have to do with the sensors.

BORIStheBLADE

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site

Don't forget editing and deleting comments...

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
MySpace? wow... is that one even still around anymore? =P

I refreshed my profile the other day just for ****s and giggles. It's actually pretty good for music. I only thought of it becuase Tom Anderson is apparently addicted to Google Plus and posts like thirty times a day.

MyJuliet

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I tried FB and Twitter and social hub, but the lack of features, so I deleted the account, and use third-party applications. Some improvement and some do not.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
im glad they added social networks in . 90% of cell phone users use does apps ( i for one DONT , i evan made sure not to add my FB account cause i dont want my 500000friends in my contact list ( i save that for making phones calls )

as for the compass , gyro , accele ect... that’s all coming in the next gen Wp or the 3rd gen ether ways its coming . the Iphone dint have it on the First model!..

ok maybe they dint have all thes things on the first model but i also agree that when you come out with an OS 5 years later! not having thees features is not an excuse for it being a new OS . you had 5 years to watch the competition to see what they had ... MS failed a little on release , maybe they should of just waited to release the phone but with better features.

as for not having all the apps . now we can say . HEy its a new OS . give them time .... we already have the 100 DL apps from Iphone ( or almost )

All in all Wp is gona be able to do Exactly what all the other phones can... and BETTERR . i mean WEBOS was meant to be a phone 100% integrated to the internet (for social networks) . now ALL the phones do it HAH.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb