Looking for my next phone...

JAROAM

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
My Sprint contract is up soon and will be upgrading to a new phone. Since Sprint rocks hard, I'm going to re-up with them. Out of their slim pickens o' phones, two have caught my eye. WP7 Arrive vs. Andoid Nexus-S, FIGHT!

I'm coming off of a webOS Palm Pre. Love the webOS but there ain't no new webOS phone from HP that I see anywhere in the near future for Sprint. So sad. So it's WP7 or Andriod.

I was hoping there'd be a keyboardless WP7 phone on Sprint because this time around I was going to see if I could go virtual only. Keyboardless WP7 phone coming to Sprint soon?

My Pre has a slide out keyboard and the protective accessories available for that kind of mechanism abso-positively suck!!! It makes the overall experience of the phone so so bad. I'm afraid the Arrive would be the same. The Nexus-S is thinner and solid as opposed to the Arrive's bulk and slider. Protection would be far better I'd assume. And the OS has had more time to mature.

I dunno. What do you think? Look who I'm asking...a WP7 phone forum...ha! Hey, I need help so here I be. Help!

Jake_M

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I literally just joined like 2 days ago with the EXACT same notion lol.

There is going to be a keyboardless WP7 on Sprint, I'm pretty sure it's going to be the HTC Mozart: HTC 7 Mozart Product Overview - HTC Smartphones

It looks nice but I prefer the keyboard, just in case.

I plan on getting the Arrive in about 2 weeks or less, depending on current HP Palm news.

I thought about the Nexus S, but the more I use Android, the less I want it. The Cyagonen mod has thousands(literally) of customizations. Imagine everything WebOS homebrew offered times 3 in one installation. The problem is is that it's complicated and not really worth it in the long run.

I say go with WP7, it's going to be the best experience for you. If not the Arrive, then the Mozart.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
well if you ABSOLOTLY NEED a protective casing then expect it to be like the on on the pree , ( expecting you have this one : ) witch is just a clip on protector.

the Keyboard on the Arrive is MUCH better then the one on the pree to my Experience. over all durability and quality. so if you type allot of e-mails or Text then i suggest the keyboard. I’ve found over the years Keyboarded phones seems to be as durable if not more then touch only phones

if not i would suggest switching to AT&T )or what ever u have in the USA) and get a FOCUS/HTC HD7(s) over any Android phone. lmao! ( that’s the wp7 forum fan boy taking ) but if you really want Android go with the GALAXI S 2 ( no contest the best droid phone right now )

Jake_M

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Also remember that the Palm Pre keyboard is nothing compared to the Pre 2...so if you considered doing the commboard swap to have a Pre 2 on Sprint that could work. Just sayin'.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
@OP, I'd wait for the next gen phone to be released before I used a upgrade. You can get WP7 phones pretty cheap on Craigslist/Ebay, if you must have one right now. But even then, I wouldn't pay more than 150/200 for a Arrive or a Focus.

JAROAM

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Hey, that Mozart looks pretty *****in' and could be exactly what I'm looking for! I just hope it does land on Sprint - and soon.

DontHate707

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I'd wait especially since mango is coming next month... If anything ask sprint what they have coming. Came from the pre myself at this point mango is enough for me to never touch android never have never will its very functional os but not my slice of pie.

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
If you don't care about price, then, at most, I'd wait for Mango to be released because any devices that are coming out in the immediate future should be announced/rumored around that time. Otherwise, if you don't need or really want 4G, a gyro, or a FFC, get the Arrive if you want WP7 and the physical keyboard. Beyond those 3 features, I have doubts that the next generation WP7 on Sprint will be that much better than the Arrive, especially not $100 worth better.

As for Arrive vs Nexus S, that's a strange comparison since, in addition to WP7 vs Android, it's also keyboard vs no keyboard. Android vs WP7 depends on what you like to do on your phone. If you like modding, customizing, hacking, and all that junk, go with Android. If you just want to use a smooth, slick OS, I'd go with WP7.

Keyboard vs no keyboard depends on what feels good to you. Do you like to feel buttons? I don't know how the virtual keyboard on the Nexus S is and, thanks to so much fragmentation in Android, it's probably an entirely different experience than I had on the Evo 4G and the Samsung Transform, but I can say that the virtual keyboard on WP7 is leagues better than those 2 Android devices I've tried. In fact, WP7's virtual keyboard can make a keyboard lover like me consider keyboardless form factors. That said, the keyboard on the Arrive is awesome. I consider it to be the best physical keyboard of any smartphone; great spacing, layout, feel, and tactile feedback. And, of course, one of the main benefits from having a physical keyboard is that it gives more screen real estate when typing.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the others that say to wait and see what September/October brings. Hopefully Sprint gets some of the new phones. And if the new features aren't worth the price difference to you, the prices of the current crop of phones might go down.

Then again... I don't think an upgrade can get any cheaper than this HTC Arrive through Amazon Wireless. AmazonWireless: HTC Arrive Windows Phone (Sprint)

Abacaxi

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
Why not just try them out in a shop and decide then which one suits you better? That is what I do for ANY electronical product before I buy one.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Right now is a bad time to buy a smartphone on Sprint. DEFINITELY wait a couple more months.

The next wave of WP7 devices will be announced soon. Also, Sprint's version of the Galaxy S 2 will finally be released. I love the HTC Arrive, but honestly you would be crazy to get that OR the Nexus S when true next-gen devices are so close.

You're going to spend 2 years with this device. Make sure it's the one you really want.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Right now is a bad time to buy a smartphone on Sprint. DEFINITELY wait a couple more months.

The next wave of WP7 devices will be announced soon. Also, Sprint's version of the Galaxy S 2 will finally be released. I love the HTC Arrive, but honestly you would be crazy to get that OR the Nexus S when true next-gen devices are so close.

You're going to spend 2 years with this device. Make sure it's the one you really want.

Listen to this man, not only because of his amazing username but because Sprint is going to have upgrades to all their best phones.

Evo 4g>> Evo 3D
Epic 4g>> Galaxy S 2 variation
Nexus S>> Nexus Prime
Arrive>> 4G Windows Phone.

Just wait a couple of months, not only can you get much much better phones but the current phones you are going to buy will be a lot cheaper ;).

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'd wait until September when you'll have the iPhone 5 and Mango devices to choose from. I've never been a big Android person personally so I'd say the WP7 device is the better of the phones.

tiny

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
If you can wait until Octoberish, I would. There should be some new choices by then, or at-least you will know what will be releasing for the holidays.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss