Molly Wood has her Mango Phone

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
That was my point from my post earlier!!! She didn't take the time or effort to even learn about or how to use the device. If my 17 year old daughter can figure out how to use "Sky Drive" and her "Zune Pass" but this so called power-user can't?? Hmmm..something smells fishy!!!

The other thing too is if you get something for free you're not going to appreciate it as much as something you purchased. So she may have given it a quick review while her Android was there waiting for her to go back to it.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
That was my point from my post earlier!!! She didn't take the time or effort to even learn about or how to use the device. If my 17 year old daughter can figure out how to use "Sky Drive" and her "Zune Pass" but this so called power-user can't?? Hmmm..something smells fishy!!!

Exactly UptownDC. Her body language killed it for me. Flipping the phone around in her hand like she had a draw full of 'em. She let the time lapse and did a last minute BS video.

DrSaiko

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I guess I have to say her comments were expected. Not so much because of her patiently tacit approach to the device from the very beginning, but her body language in this video screamed she had no clue about what to say, has no experience with the device, so make something up. And she did not disappoint.

When she got to her commented, " if you are a power user", that said more to me about what Molly is about than any of the other comments positive or negative about WP7. Not only did the balance of what she had to say sound technically dishonest, she came across like a woman who truly does not see herself as an "equal" to men as it relates to tech. She needed to proclaim that she was a "POWER USER" and not so much for those in the WP7 ecosystem, but for the benefit of her male counterparts. That she is a NOT that woman to be home baking cookies, as many of her male contemporaries think she should.

I'll go as far as to say she NEVER used the phone. She may have had it for 2 weeks, but she never used it. She sounds like the same idiots at a cell phone kiosk giving you all of what they don't know that this phone is. She knew next to nothing about Sky drive, Zune pass or grouping inboxes. A power user would have invested time in the device. A power user would have used skill on the device and made discovery while using it, as all power users have. But Molly Wood had NONE to give us. NONE! All she had was the comments already out there, the same comments from those who never used the device.

No, she's a spineless woman who is overly concerned with her place in a male dominated tech world. And now we know she is capable of being technically dishonest, all comments made by her should be fact checked, twice.

She had the chance be technically honest, and she blew it.
Well said. That's how I felt while watching the video. I saw this coming from the beginning, it would've been shocking if she ended up liking the phone.

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I agree, it seemed like she didn't use it much. She was asking some pretty simple questions that any cellphone "power user" would have figured out easily by just poking around the OS. I bet she pulled it out once in a while to try a specific feature and write a tweet about it.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using WP7!

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Has ANYONE in here had a WP7 that spontaneously rebooted 15 times in one day!?! Supposedly hers did.

I'm using Mango RTM and haven't had a single freeze or reboot.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Has ANYONE in here had a WP7 that spontaneously rebooted 15 times in one day!?! Supposedly hers did.

I know this is very hard to believe, but mine hasn't done this even once since i got my phone October. Can't be bad. :)

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

She lied gekkoace. That witch flat out lied and she should be called out on it. Out loud in public. She is dishonest blogger. No ifs or buts about it.

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site

My DVP has a build date from back in december and so had one of the earlier/flakier firmware versions which made it as prone to spontaneous reboots as any WP7 phone could ever be and I can state for the records that I NEVER saw anywhere near 15 reboots in any 24 hr period. I think 4 was my record and that was plenty for me, long before I made it to 15 the darned thing would have been chucked out of a window. So, I have a very hard time believing her tale of 15 reboots in one day on an HTC Trophy (my guess is that she had the phone reboot a few times over the two week period, perhaps once occurring twice in the same day, and decided that a slight exaggeration would be acceptable to help make her point). IF the phone really did reboot that many times then she most likely had some defective hardware/firmware that needed to be addressed, not used as part of an excuse for her review/opinions.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

HTC Trophy here, running Mango beta since it was released. I haven't seen a single random reboot. She must have had a bad unit or is totally exaggerating.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I've had to reboot before, but 15 times in a day? I don't believe that for one second. Not calling her a liar...but she's lying.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I've never really liked Molly Wood anyway, and this certainly doesn't help that. She only focused mainly on the negatives in that video and she seemed uneducated on it all.

augustofretes

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't care less about anybody working at cnet (and you shouldn't care too). The quality of their articles and reviews has always been pathetic. I'm aware it may cause bad PR, but not a single intelligent person cares about what *any* cnet writer has to say.

For the record: I tend to care about Arstechnica, Anandtech, old Endgaget/This is my next opinions.

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site
lol you guys are MAD. If everyone liked Windows Phone it wouldn't sell so bad.

nope, not mad, just annoyed that a good opportunity for some broader public exposure to WP7 was wasted because of the "reviewer" appearing to let her own preconceived notions bias the review.

UpTownDC

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
lol you guys are MAD. If everyone liked Windows Phone it wouldn't sell so bad.
Nope not mad at all. The only point that I would like to make is:
If your job is to review Tech products and to render your opinion about the products....learn about and research the product so that you can speak intelligently about the product.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
But the thing is, she said she wanted to try the phone and discover everything for herself, also she was open to comment feedback and actually took away one of the Cons she had upon finding out she was wrong.

She didn't bashed WP7, she liked a lot of things about but it wasn't for her. I don't see her bashing it.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I was hoping for praise or a good bashing. I don't like the middle of the road junk. But either way, if your phone reboots 15 times in a day, you have a faulty phone.

UpTownDC

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
But the thing is, she said she wanted to try the phone and discover everything for herself, also she was open to comment feedback and actually took away one of the Cons she had upon finding out she was wrong.

She didn't bashed WP7, she liked a lot of things about but it wasn't for her. I don't see her bashing it.
I really could care less if she bashed WP7 or not. That's not the point that I'm making. I'm an IT Director here in the DC area...when we (My Staff and I) review a Tech product....we learn and research about the device as much as we can before we provide any opinions about the product. That's the Professional way to provide a review/feedback about a product. That's the point that I'm making.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett