09-21-2011 05:54 AM
109 123 ...
tools
    08-09-2011 10:31 PM
    Since Joe Belfiore has already shown off Spotify for Windows Phone, at least some of her problem will be address in the near future.
    sinister4g63 likes this.
    08-09-2011 11:10 PM
    This is good and good press. It will help focus WP7. Good stuff.
    08-09-2011 11:57 PM
    Is there a article or is it a video ?
    08-10-2011 12:08 AM
    Just a video, she spoke briefly on BoL yesterday morning, but she really didn't have a lot to say since she got it a few days back.
    08-10-2011 03:15 AM
    there is an article, check it out

Windows Phone 7 Challenge: Week 1 | Molly Rants - CNET News

lots of good feedback in the comments at the bottom... infact even a prediction wp7 will take over ios in 2015
    Last edited by Bear lx; 08-10-2011 at 09:05 AM.
    08-10-2011 08:58 AM
    Good articles, and not surprising. Everyone I've shown my WP7 phone to is dazzled by the OS.
    08-10-2011 09:17 AM
    its lacking apps??? lol .... give it time ... shiIiIiIiIT!! lol
    08-10-2011 09:44 AM
    its lacking apps??? lol .... give it time ... shiIiIiIiIT!! lol
    That's what I said lol.

She said that not having "words with friends" was a big deal for her, "words bypost" is just as good.
    08-10-2011 10:04 AM
    Nice kind of PR.
    08-10-2011 10:53 AM
    That's what I said lol.

She said that not having "words with friends" was a big deal for her, "words bypost" is just as good.
    Words By Post is nowhere near as good as Words With Friends. ****ty copies of apps aren't usually as good as the original. Words By Post doesn't look as nice and doesn't have the social features that Words With Friends has. Plus, WWF is much more popular, so there are far more users on it.

And apps will come, but it's disheartening to see that new apps coming out for Android and iPhone still aren't including a WP7 version of the app. And for someone looking for a phone, having the apps NOW is important. Making the decision between the iPhone/Android and WP7 is an easy choice for someone who uses lots of apps and relies on them. It's a catch 22 because developers won't make apps for it until there are more users, and users don't want to jump ship because it doesn't have apps.
    08-10-2011 10:53 AM
    They gave her a Trophy with Mango....you guys didn't notice that?

Also, Spotify is incredibly pointless on Windows Phone because of Zune.

Straight up.

Basically, all of these other popular music apps on Android are just work arounds for Android's lack of a fully fleshed out ecosystem.
    08-10-2011 11:33 AM
    This also brings up a huge point of contention for me and tech journalists.

If I could, I'd own a good Android phone, iPhone, and Windows Phone...and there'd be none of "phone challenge" shenanigans because I'd already be well versed in everything.

In fact, between iOS not changing very much in 2 years, and having an Incredible with Sense 2.2 and eventually stock Gingerbread.....and now owning a Windows Phone.....well, ya'll get the point.

As hobbyists, most of us seem more emphatic about trying different things than half of the popular journalists. It's upsetting, and leaves my head in flames.
    Rico and cckgz4 like this.
    08-10-2011 11:38 AM
    I'm a little concerned about her saying that the nav feature was going to be important for her. It doesn't really matter why you have to touch the screen to get every direction update, the fact is you do have to, which makes it almost dangerous to use.
    08-10-2011 01:54 PM
    shiIiIiIiIT!! lol
    08-10-2011 10:15 PM
    Actually, I've played Words with Friends and Words by Post looks just as nice, if not nicer. Alphajax looks better and plays better than both but isn't cross-platform.

And, the only benefit of Spotify over Zune Pass is its free variant.
    08-11-2011 04:00 PM
    I'm a little concerned about her saying that the nav feature was going to be important for her. It doesn't really matter why you have to touch the screen to get every direction update, the fact is you do have to, which makes it almost dangerous to use.
    I think that turn by turn navigation on phones is dangerous in general... most people don't have a car mount for their phones, so they are holding it in their hands and constantly looking down to follow the directions. Plus they are practically useless on long trips, as you will lose reception if you get too far away from a urban area.

At any rate, I have a GPS system in my car anyways, so I don't use the maps feature unless I'm walking somewhere.
    08-11-2011 05:50 PM
    Actually, I've played Words with Friends and Words by Post looks just as nice, if not nicer. Alphajax looks better and plays better than both but isn't cross-platform.
    I'm going to have to disagree. WWF looks and plays much nicer than WBP. WBP seems off when I try to grab and place tiles, I hate the board set up (I hate the diagonal symmetry and that there seems to be too many multiplier spaces), and it looks flat compared to the others. Cross-platform play with WP, Android, and iOS is pretty much the only thing it has over the others. AJ looks and plays better than WBP (I'd say it's in a tie with WWF) and I really like that you can take a snapshot of the screen as well as other UI elements it has, but the board seems to have too few multiplier spaces.

Besides that, I'm kind of torn with the whole rating system. On the one hand, I like knowing that I'm pretty good at the game compared to other people in the world. On the other hand, the rating system makes me relentless and feel like an a-hole because I can't go easy on people or else my rating and stats go down, so I'm always murdering people if they let me. :ninja: With WWF, there's no visible rating system or statistics, so (beyond pride) I don't care about losing.
    08-11-2011 06:58 PM
    Hopefully these two apps aren't enough to turn her off from the OS. It seems like her first update is positive. I can't wait to see her future updates.
    08-11-2011 07:27 PM
    Hopefully these two apps aren't enough to turn her off from the OS. It seems like her first update is positive. I can't wait to see her future updates.
    It shouldn't; she seems smart enough to know that, if WP7 gets enough users, the apps will come. And I'm sure people are telling her of the alternatives to those apps.
    08-12-2011 01:27 AM
    08-13-2011 02:13 AM
    Great great read. I myself am I newb smartphone wise so my Nodo phone does everything for me but is great to read this from a power user such a Molly.

Good to know she likes the groups and text messaging ( things am very excited about and it's good to know it works ), I don't know how to use GPS so the fact that the maps sucks like she tells it's very disappointing. Even worse is the fact that it won't get fixed into the 2012 Apollo build possibly. Seems like Android is lightyears ahead of WP7 in functionality but I can't use Android to save my life so I'm gonna stick with WP =).
    08-13-2011 08:20 AM
    Hmm, I took away from her that the maps feature isn't necessarily bad, but the Turn-by-turn functionality is inefficiently implemented. Mostly because you have to 'tap' the screen in order to get to the next route. But, that the directions it gives you are accurate and very, very user friendly.
    08-13-2011 08:38 AM
    From what I hear the turn by turn feedback is horribly implemented, giving you only chimes instead of voices. also randomly giving voices making it worse since you know it can could have being that way all the time.

Thankfully there's apparently good GPS apps that work like that or so I heard.
    08-13-2011 09:03 AM
    I am really concerned about the turn by turn thing myself. It is EXTREMELY dangerous the way that it is in 7712. If 7720 rolls with this feature as is, it will be an HUGE negative against the OS, so much so that it could put most people off the OS all together. It is horribly implemented. Easy to miss your turn, no automatic warnings that your turn is coming, having to tap to get the directions, no automatic recalculation when you do miss the turn. I was using the "feature" to get home from the grocery store, and let just say that I would not want to use it to find anything unless I had a navigator in the car with me to pay attention to the phone.

We need to really start raising a stink about this with MS. It's not a "feature" if it is dangerously implemented. Walking, it would be ok, but driving should probably be locked out.
    Winterfang and EJNelly like this.
    08-13-2011 11:54 AM
109 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD