Mango tips and tricks...

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
i need to hear more features and tips... there is supposed to be 500+ new features, although it is smoother and very nice, i am failing to see everything promised? what else is there in mango that wasnt in nodo?

Yakolev

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
i need to hear more features and tips... there is supposed to be 500+ new features, although it is smoother and very nice, i am failing to see everything promised? what else is there in mango that wasnt in nodo?

A lot of new features are under the hood, We will notice them surfacing after some time has passed.

ethylove

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Question of a different ilk: Mango allows mail to be linked to one tile but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to do it. Can anyone offer a quick tutorial on how this is done.

Great idea for the tips & tricks. Mango probably would have a few hundred pages to it's instruction manual and these little pearls of wisdom serve all of us who wouldn't use all of the OS capability.

Thanks to all of you who post here.
go to one of your email inboxes, click on the "..." and click link inboxes. then you can drag inboxes together! it's wonderful

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
also didnt know if anyone knew this, but you can set your phone up with your windows live email, and there is a feature where you can find your phone... so if you just wanna know where your spouse is at anytime, you can gps her. or if your phone is stolen or lost you can gps its location... very useful
I knew about the feature, but never thought of using it to keep track of someone. Of course, you'd need to have their Live account password, but still good to know.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
my "me" tile isnt flipping... im wondering if it has something to do with the fact i dont use facebook or twitter. hmm...

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
also just found that in bing maps, if you zoom in far enough, you can see maps of shopping malls, outlet stores, ect... pretty cool!

TheDvlsAdvc8

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
The biggest feature changes I notice are in the me tile and messaging tile. I barely use the facebook app anymore.

The me tile will show if you have any notifications. They also added the ability to check-in, post and change chat status there.

In messaging, there is a new pivot that shows who is available on facebook chat and windows live messenger... and of course you can change your own chat status.

On any contact, they've also added a "history" pivot that shows all interaction you've had with them, whether its email, text, IM, or phone.

There's not much in the way of "hidden" features anymore. They look to have consciously avoided the old "hold down a finger" to access context menus; in fact moving many of those features to the bottom drawer. If I'm not mistaken, more things are pinable, including "new note" from one note, and playlists.

You can pin entire albums to the start menu, including facebook albums, but you still can't pin individual pics. Also, the camera roll album has a "delete contents" option available when you long-press it. The date pivot in the picture hub has a jumplist on the month.

You can now share a webpage to facebook/twitter from ie9, and share a video to facebook.

Local scout pivots include filters just below the pivot name. Tapping the map at the top shows the local scout results on the map in full screen.

Probably the most hidden feature was voice texting. Hold the home/windows button and when it beeps, say "text [person]". Works amazingly well. I had no idea about this feature until I was driving along and got a text, and it read it to me over bluetooth. Since discovered there is an option under "speech" in settings that allows you to configure when to read incoming texts to you (mine is "bluetooth only" - so when its hooked up to bluetooth in my car, it reads texts, otherwise it wont - but you can set it to always do this if you want to play with it and don't have bluetooth in your car).

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Best laugh i've had so far when messing about with speech texting, after a few attempts of trying to get her to understand my Scottish accent, i said 'You Are Crap"' back came her reply 'You Are Right!' lol we all nearly wet ourselves. :)

TheDvlsAdvc8

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Best laugh i've had so far when messing about with speech texting, after a few attempts of trying to get her to understand my Scottish accent, i said 'You Are Crap"' back came her reply 'You Are Right!' lol we all nearly wet ourselves. :)

My wife has a heavy southern US accent, so I set the phone up to fail by asking her to search for "boiled peanuts" - which, the way she speaks, sounds like "bowl pinits".

Needless to say we were in tears laughing when it responded: "Searching for "Bull p e n i s". :D

But overall, if you speak relatively slowly and clear. It gets natural language pretty well. It will even transcribe a lot of abbreviations, like lol.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah she can get you into some bother sometimes. :) (She got my boiled peanuts after 4 attempts)

Embryo Peanuts, Embroiled in Peanuts, Sorry Ddsn't Catch That, Boiled Peanuts Wahay! :)

DuoWing

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Whoa, thanks for the tip on the voice texting. That was pretty nice being able to say it, have it get what I said, and then be able to say Send to finish it. I've used Android's ability to do this, but I still need to look at the phone to finish and Send the message.

chnkfc

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
i don't know what you would need this for,but i pushed the bing music button while playing music on my phone and it actually recognized the song. i remember reading somewhere on here that someone else tried it and it didn't work.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
still learning new things everyday with this mango... i must say though, i am dissapointed that there are some key features missing. for example, why cant we long press a number from a text or on the web, and save it to contacts? or why cant we change custom ringtones, alerts, or alarms directly from our phones? why cant we customize our tiles, more colors, maybe make them translucent, backgrounds? the idea of quick toggles for wifi, bluetooth, ect ... in the dark black area to the right side, easily implemented!!! and i could have swore i heard someone say that the wallpaper displayed a zune like appearance of the current song playing? mine doesnt, just added buttons for fast forward, rewind and pause.... any insight on this???

sandmanfvr

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I rarely used the facebook app, now 0% I will use it with the features of mango.

To get custom ringtones, you need Zune 4.8 beta installed and then get an mp3, 39 seconds OR LESS and add it to your collection. Then change the Genre to Ringtone and sync to the phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa