My WP7 frustratrations

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Let me start off by saying: I love my WP7 (NoDo) SIM unlocked Samsung Focus. I bought it right after it was released last year. I listen to every wpcentral podcast through the Zune marketplace subscription.

When I bought my Focus I knew it wasn't complete. I believed Microsoft's claims that it would push updates to add features and fix bugs. I had to go to a 3rd world country in March and all the promises were that I would get my NoDo update before I left. Looking back, we all know that was a fiasco and I didn't get my Nodo update before I left.

Almost a year has gone by and the only update I've received is NoDo. I know what everyone in here is probably thinking "Mango is coming soon." But really?!? It's been a year and I'm still stuck with this half-baked multi-tasking, half-baked live tiles, and still missing everything else Mango has to offer. I hear all the developers talking about how great Mango is. Microsoft has been giving away Mango handsets to bloggers that complain about Android... Here I am though, a loyal early adopter... still no Mango for me...

At&t offered me an upgrade. I had a couple choices to make: Waiting again for my update (hoping it will arrive smoother than NoDo), a new Nodo phone, an Iphone for $200 or an Android Nexus S for free. I took the Android Nexus S.

My first impression going from Nodo to Android... It's like going from Target (WP7) to Walmart (Android).
On Android everything feels very cheaply made in the OS (especially most the apps).
I wanted an app that I heard about online. The OS warned me that installing some things can lead to malware. I’ve also been reading more about malware even in the Android market. I like to think I’m security conscience, but now I can’t help but think my phone probably has got some kind of STD from marketplace and I’m scared about what’s making it out to some hacker/advertiser.
(I loved the high-quality look, feel and security on WP7)

My Android phone can’t take my contacts from Facebook. From what I read it’s all because Google won’t get off their high-horse and use Microsoft’s API’s. That’s VERY frustrating. One app in the market will grab some of my contact photos from facebook, but no contact info. Now does this app maker know my entire phonebook and facebook? I have no idea.. I’ve had to just accept the complete lack of security.
(A WP7 user never has to worry about getting their contacts updated through FB or Google… It’s my favorite part of WP7)
It’s been a pain to load my favorite podcasts on my Android. Oddly enough the easiest one to add has been wpcentral. I still can’t figure out how to add the AndroidCentral podcast. I miss my Zune Pass music on my WP7 phone.
I’m torn. I love my WP7, but I’m so frustrated with the lack of getting updates and no concrete timeline of when I will get them. I’m so irritated about hearing how great Mango is and hearing about everyone else getting to take it for a test-drive with the beta version. I have even thought about buying a developer account for a year of updates. $99 seems almost worth it. I wish Microsoft would lower the price or allow non-developers to accept the risk and take the plunge with beta updates. That would get rid of all my WP7 frustrations.

Cyterio

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunatly thats one of the drawbacks of being an early adopter. On the other hand though, WP7 is not nearly as bad or incomplete as some of the other first generation OS's when they launched. WP7 feels quite polished to me, and sure it is missing some key features but as a new OS, but hang in there, you'll be rewarded soon.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
remember the Iphone .. tock 1 year to get its first majour updates .. oh wait no it dint , you just ahd to by a new phone...

1. we do have a time line , every 6 month for updates ( give or take some weeks )

2. it took long to get NODO cause of samsung not WP or MS. samsung had problems. ( change phones if you dont like waiting an extra week )

3. people that have MANGO beta ( 70% of people )( have the cracked vershion , why pay 100$ when its free...and the same. i have mango and i dint pay , took me 10min to instal it , HAHAHA!!!

9 steps to getting mango beta free:

1. go on www.google.com ( or bing , lol)
2. search for: how to get mango beta free
3. click on first link.
4. follow the 5 step to instaling it.

4. android is the only OS with malware. i have an app on my Android that allows to me toiconnect to secure netwroks(wifi) and hack peoples facebook , LOL and its free on the android makretplace... how can you trust that^

5. hmm , get a POD cast app.... i got all of them on my phone.

so my final thought: Patience is a Virtue

Last edited:

Aeon2k

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
My single (big) annoyance with WP7 is right now just one (if anyone knows any solutions for this that I don't know off please post them):
I want local wireless file transfer (mostly videos MP4 format and avi, some word documents) without the device being plugged in to either a charger or the usb. Bluetooth or wifi... whatever works. I haven't found a solution for that one :(

Other than that I like WP7, compared to iOS or Android it's wonderfull to use :)

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, drawbacks of being an early adopter. We get all the cool stuff first, but it's hardly as polished and costs more than later down the road when the masses adopt. All to be expected when pioneering the use of a product.

Microsoft has been giving away Mango handsets to bloggers that complain about Android... Here I am though, a loyal early adopter... still no Mango for me...
Brandon Watson's been reaching out to developers and a few more prominent individuals among more mainstream press. The rest of us poor shlubs have been risking our devices by flashing the beta OS ourselves. Even with a developer's account, you're violating your warranty and Microsoft will only give limited support. Still, with the release of ROMs I see the actual flashing risk to be near zero for those devices with ROMs as you can always flash with an earlier ROM should you brick it during an update. But if you're not comfortable with that, Mango should be out by November (my guess).

There's a charge with a developer account in part because servers have to be maintained to check that you have such an account. And paying for an account cuts out some of the less desirable users such as those seeking only to pirate apps. I'd say it also weeds out some of those users who don't want to read but heard about the new OS beta, end up bricking their phones, and complaining about Microsoft and the OS. The Chevron guys are supposed to be releasing a tool at some point to unlock phones, and it's rumored to be $10, though I'm not sure if that's an annual fee (I'd assume as much) or a one-time cost. Whichever it is, I'll pay as soon as it's available as I'd like to start programming and testing apps on my device.

@Aeon2k
Easy File Hub perhaps? Seems to stream only, and the version reviewed doesn't seem to play well with MP4s but maybe that's changed.

Last edited:

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
My single (big) annoyance with WP7 is right now just one (if anyone knows any solutions for this that I don't know off please post them):
I want local wireless file transfer (mostly videos MP4 format and avi, some word documents) without the device being plugged in to either a charger or the usb. Bluetooth or wifi... whatever works. I haven't found a solution for that one :(

Other than that I like WP7, compared to iOS or Android it's wonderfull to use :)

because you want to streem music and vids on to go? use the Cloud service . you can stream anyhting over 3G/wifi

as for using your phone as an actual *external hardrive with wifi* i dont think you can yet.
but i do remember reading some where about WIFI fille transfer with the phone , they MIGHT have an app for that on the marketplace.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea