Google to buy Motorola

Yakolev

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Moto didnt exactly do a good job with the Xoom, less than 500,000 sold and alread moving on to the Xoom 2 so having the first Chrome tablet probably wont mean much. Plus Chrome OS + android on tablets are going to be taken down in a big way by Windows 8, BUILD will be an eye-opener.

I agree completely with you, but I think they will be the first to get all the new Google goodies.

icstars989

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
If just for the patents. Google is one of the most evils companies in the world.

Like it or not, that's the world we live in. You cant fault them for wanting to protect their own backside. Patent warfare is ugly and it's only gonna get worse. Until there is reform, Google needs its own arsenal to fight back.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Depending on the hardware of the W8 tablets, I might get one. If the hardware is meh, I'm probably just going to get the next generation Blackberry Playbook.

Windows laptops come in so many flavors that there's bound to be one that's perfect for you. My next laptop will probably be a Win 8, hopefully a convertible one so I can use it as a tablet and laptop.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Like it or not, that's the world we live in. You cant fault them for wanting to protect their own backside. Patent warfare is ugly and it's only gonna get worse. Until there is reform, Google needs its own arsenal to fight back.

No problem with them protecting their interests but they shouldnt have used others IP in android and then not pay. They then try and claim patents are bad before going on to be a hypocrite by buying Moto for their patents.

Buying patents to defend themselves doesnt change the fact that they are using stolen IP in android, just makes them less likely to be sued for it.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

I think "fighting back" is the wrong way to look at the situation. Licensing agreements are old fair. Tech companies have been signing them for a long time. However, with Android, Google thinks they're the exception to the rule. As we've seen with HTC and Samsung, Microsoft clearly has patents that are necessary to Android and all Micorsoft wants are licensing fees, the same as would be expected from any company. Saying Google is fighting back is like saying the thief wants to change the laws so it's easier for him to break into your house.

L3vi

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
The primary purpose of this deal was for acquiring patents. They probably started talking about making this deal as soon as the lawsuits from Apple and MS started coming. It is likely that they actually had a strong chance of winning many of the suits because Google's portfolio was so weak.

Secondary reasons, Motorola has been slowly losing profits and their phones have not been selling too well. HTC and Samsung has been murdering them.

I have to say Google's new business strategy seems to be a winner:

1. Steal IP from other companies
2. Publish it as "open source"
3. Distribute said "open source" technologies through Android to manufacturers
4. Manufacturers make phones
5. Rake in money from ads and data mining
6. Manufacturers get sued over stolen IP, lose money
7. Buy manufacturer that is now swamped in lawsuits and in decline
8. ???
9. PROFIT

=P

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Depending on the hardware of the W8 tablets, I might get one. If the hardware is meh, I'm probably just going to get the next generation Blackberry Playbook.
I'm calling it now -- I'll take a Windows 8 tablet at launch over whatever Playbook is available when Windows 8 tablets are available. The Playbook is a great piece of hardware; I love the feel of it, and the OS itself works pretty well but I'm not confident it'll get a good selection of apps, especially compared to Windows 8. Using Windows Phone 7 as in indicator, we'll probably see W8 apps before the OS launches. There'll also be dozens of OEMs making W8 tablets, so there should be something I'll like.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Having tried both Android and WP7, I very much prefer the later. It us nonetheless funny to hear Apple and Microsoft complaining about others stealing their IP considering how they acquired their own. And when you call Google evil, remember that a lot more people say the same about MS and their Windows monopoly. (I think its wrong on both counts). Android (while kinda clunky and ugly),has been good for smartphone innovation, and too many patent claims are nonsense. Especially Apple's. (an injunction based on a napkin drawing)?

eragle

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
As someone who has had both a Droid Pro and X2, I don't think W7 is missing anything by not having a Moto-made handset.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I wonder how many people commenting on the patent lawsuits going on really have any type of clue what's going on. Google is no more/less evil than any other big business. Including MS, Apple, Exxon...well maybe Exxon is in a class of it's own, but you get the picture.

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm calling it now -- I'll take a Windows 8 tablet at launch over whatever Playbook is available when Windows 8 tablets are available. The Playbook is a great piece of hardware; I love the feel of it, and the OS itself works pretty well but I'm not confident it'll get a good selection of apps, especially compared to Windows 8. Using Windows Phone 7 as in indicator, we'll probably see W8 apps before the OS launches. There'll also be dozens of OEMs making W8 tablets, so there should be something I'll like.
The Playbook is about to get a whole lot of apps come the fall, when Blackberry is going to release the Android-app marketplace onto the Playbook, giving BB users access to all the Android apps.

And while I am confident in W8 software to be far better than QNX, I just hope that Microsoft makes their own tablet, instead of relying on other RTM's to fulfill their expectations. MS makes great hardware, all of the Zunes were awesome, I don't know why MS is refusing to make a nice solid build off of their own software.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
The Playbook is about to get a whole lot of apps come the fall, when Blackberry is going to release the Android-app marketplace onto the Playbook, giving BB users access to all the Android apps.

And while I am confident in W8 software to be far better than QNX, I just hope that Microsoft makes their own tablet, instead of relying on other RTM's to fulfill their expectations. MS makes great hardware, all of the Zunes were awesome, I don't know why MS is refusing to make a nice solid build off of their own software.

If this is a taste of what to expect from Windows 8 applications Get a taste of how Windows 8 Tablet applications will look like | MobileTechWorld the number of apps for android or the playbook will be irrelevant.

L3vi

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
I wonder how many people commenting on the patent lawsuits going on really have any type of clue what's going on. Google is no more/less evil than any other big business. Including MS, Apple, Exxon...well maybe Exxon is in a class of it's own, but you get the picture.

Did someone say Google was more "evil" than other companies? All corporations have shady business, but we are just discussing Google's acquisition of Motorola, which IMO is a smart move given the legal blitz they have encountered, but may not be too profitable in the long run.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
"If just for the patents. Google is one of the most evils companies in the world."
Did someone say Google was more "evil" than other companies? All corporations have shady business, but we are just discussing Google's acquisition of Motorola, which IMO is a smart move given the legal blitz they have encountered, but may not be too profitable in the long run.
Yes some one did.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo