08-19-2011 10:26 AM
53 123
tools
    so if MS is not delivering what the market wants .. how come sells are growing? you say numbers dont lie... boom.... your right....

and if the market doesnt want a WP ... then why are they buying them?? why did you buy one? ...

seriously .. i see ALLOT of new people on this forun in the last couple weeks . most of them just got a WP and all they do is complain... if you dont like it return it , you have 15 dayz and then cancel your wpcentral account . get an Iphone . and go to the Iphone central . they normally do the same thing you newbies do. ( and i say that to all them haters ) i dont like Pepsi ,,, so i int buying one.. lol
    You ask why did i buy one, Hmmm, well didnt buy it, i got the device free to test enterprise
    intergration and exchange features in an IT environment.
    I like WP7 but it has flaws and MS cannot afford flaws when playing from behind and currently losing the little market share they had!
    I think WP7 has potential, I just think they will have a tough time selling device with iphone 5 launch coming, and Google's ICE Cream Sandwich.....................
    08-16-2011 05:19 PM
    You guys live in a fantasy! WP7 is NOT doing well right now!
    We know. In fact we seem to get weekly reminders of how bad it's doing. However, most prefer to be enthusiastic about WP7 because pessimistic attitudes don't sell nor convince people to check out WP7 phones.

What you guys are failing to understand is
    What you fail to understand is that everything you're saying we've heard a thousand times now.
    selfcreation and threed61 like this.
    08-16-2011 05:25 PM
    I can't believe people actually care this much about a phone. Feeding the trolls will only make them come back for more to eat.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express
    selfcreation and VernonEL like this.
    08-16-2011 05:27 PM
    You might be right on sales but that isn't about the hardware. That's about sales reps pushing other operating systems and still refering to WP7 as Windows Mobile cause they think its the same thing which we all know here its not. That's MS's problem. Not the hardware. Look at Android for an example. They have the hardware they may get people to buy them but every single person I know and have come across complains about the OS so bad that its not even funny (well actually it is). All the hardware for android and it basically goes to waste. Still lags enless you hack it and do custom roms and even then you have to be ontop of the roms or it goes back to lagging again.
    I agree with this. My htc trophy is smoother than any dual-core android phone Verizon sells. On a lot of the iphone forums the iphone fans say specs aren't everything and I agree. I wouldn't mind a front-facing camera, but for the most part my phone does everything I need it to do. I'm excited about the mango update. I don't know what the future holds as far as sales for WP7, but as far as software and hardware I think they will be fine.
    08-16-2011 05:28 PM
    I can't believe people actually care this much about a phone. Feeding the trolls will only make them come back for more to eat.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express
    Whoa basically because I am realistic, because I am giving a realistic opinion on a product we are all using. i am a troll. Please don't be ignorant!
    08-16-2011 05:31 PM
    Always keep this around as a friendly reminder. :)
    So You're Mad On The Internet, A Flowchart - Geekologie
    08-16-2011 05:36 PM
    i'm so sick and tired of these kind of posts with genious ideas for big companies telling them what (not) to do. nobody cares about these rants, so unless you have something valuable to share, keep it to yourself
    You're wrong. MS is listening. That's what is making these updates so great! I love Mango on my Focus!
    08-16-2011 06:45 PM
    I am from Australia and when it was around release time they where advertising wp7 on tv all the time and people would see the adds and say "wow i really want one of those" but then the advertising stopped and now almost no one knows about them anymore because everyone forgot about it.
    08-16-2011 06:51 PM
    Whoa basically because I am realistic, because I am giving a realistic opinion on a product we are all using. i am a troll. Please don't be ignorant!
    You've only been here a short time and all I've seen from you are negative comments. So yeah, you're pretty much trolling. We'd much rather have useful posters than arrogant ones.
    08-16-2011 07:58 PM
    Sigh. Just get used to it :)

---
    - Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    08-16-2011 11:28 PM
    @CaliforniaMan, calling yourself >the< realist and denouncing everyone who have a slightly more optimistic view about WP7 as dreamers is trolling. You can be the objective/subjective pessimist though, and the rest the optimists. Opinions can co-exist, don't expect yours to be the norm.

I have my very own point of view. First of all, I don't think WP7 will be running for a long long time. Microsoft will pump money into it no matter what the sales are. It's a long term strategy, and for future competitiveness, an ecosystem is essential. I got respect for MSFT being so determined on the loss-driving Bing project. The management can look past the short-term losses and huge investments Bing swallows -- you don't see that very often.

Many people also don't realize, the 0815 client is no geek like we are. They don't know nor care that a phone has a 1.2Ghz dual core. There were some ipad and android tablet ads by Verizon compared. VZW tried to score with the specs, it's ridiculous watching it. People want a phone that >works<. High-end specs let the device prices sky-rocket. MSFT has the advantage of enormous software-expertise, they can optimize the **** out of their OS, use cheaper hardware and yet provide competitive performance. The devices are either cheaper or OEMs get higher profit margins than with Android phones. This leads to a win-win for MSFT.

Saying, that MSFT should have added more features at release to land a really big hit is easier said than done. Of course it would have been better. It's left to speculate why they released it as they did. Maybe they feared to fall behind too much, or they try to slowly build up momentum.

PS: Front-facing camery is the most gimmicky addition ever. Who uses video chat? There are barely any clients for it. I only see it lift off in about 2 years.

Oh, and drawing a relation between bad sales numbers and consumer disapproval of WP7 is baseless. It's more likely due to the lack of advertising and subsequently the missing brand and product recognition and awareness. That's a point where MSFT and its OEMs really need to step up the game. I'm optimistic with Nokia joining as THE WP7 OEM, promising unique phones with Android-beating prices and a huge portfolio of services to support the platform.
    Last edited by jesdt; 08-17-2011 at 06:30 AM.
    wolf1891 likes this.
    08-17-2011 06:23 AM
    When I say I love my WP7 I do. I ordered two phones, both HTC models, one with Android and another with WP7. On first boot-up, I quickly noticed that the WP7 stood out way above Android. WP7 looks attractive and as I mentioned in my first post, you wouldnt want to customize it that much, but would be nice to have some options, i.e. a picture behind the live tiles, prettier standard live tiles.

With regard to custom ring tones, I am aware that MS Mango will adopt this feature, why? Because MS listened to its users, from forum like this. Lets face it if we did not have discussions like this and MS didnt ask for feedback whether good or bad, MS would not know what people want. Apples sell ring tones on there itunes store, and obviously make money why would they do this if the public had no interest in it. We have all seen those adverts on MTV advertising ring tones like that crazy frog, these companies made millions from doing this. Okay so some people may be happy with the boring standard ones but you have to cater for every taste. The teenage market is massive, probably a massive chunk of the smart phone market is teens, I am sure a good percentage of teens want a custom ring-tome there favorite band picture on there home screen etc. There is also a massive market is customizing the way the actual phone looks with colored cases, wallets etc. I dont understand people who say why customize a phone, the potential is massive.

You may say that sales assistants from mobile phone shops and carriers know **** but lets face it, they are the guys who sell it to the public. If these guys are not pushing it for what ever reason, its a problem. Whether they know anything about OSs or not means nothing. Politicians dont have a clue about everyday people, but they run our country and they are the discussion makers, and they get it wrong time and time again and look at the mess we are in. They are given stats and percentages, which mean nothing as they can be made to look as good or bad as they like. People who like the I Phone, Android could be converted, and if Android is in a mess as mentioned above, its time for MS to attack this massive market.

Advertising is key and if people say, I have seen an advert, you may well have but every time I turn on the TV, I see IPhone adverts, never MS. What you are saying by stating MS are waiting for MANGO, does this mean they are not comfortable with there product? When they release a new PC Platform like vista etc, there are loads and loads of security updates, software updates etc, so are you saying the dont advertise that until all updates are finalized, they would never get around to advertising at all. Come on lets face allot of people would buy a MS phone and not even realize that updates are available, if you look at Im a WP7 App, there are allot of users using old versions of OS; not everybody is tech minded. When you say have I seen an advert for Apple I Phone 5 NO, Why because it does not even have a confirmed launch date yet and they are still beta testing it. I am sure one month before its official release date the market will be flooded with adverts.

Not understanding how a USB storage device is Stone Age, millions of USB stick are sold worldwide, everybody I know uses them. It may an old technology now but its hardly a VHS video recorder is it? With regard to the USB cable you wouldnt carry it around but then again most smart phones have limited battery life so do you carry a charger with you? The beauty of other phones over Apple is that you can buy spare batteries and keep one charged all the time. I work in an office and in my case is a USB cable, not saying I would carry one around when I go out socializing or anything but if you go to a friends house and you want a music single or some pictures he has taken, simple just plug in the USB cable and get the single you want.

I agree with 3mingo in that people see the IPhone as a statement of class and that many people do think its the only phone to have,. Lets be far the IPhone is good we cant say it isnt. Apple have achieved this by advertising, simple and MS need to take a leaf out of there book really. This is the reason big companies build apps for the IPhone. Lets not forget Apple came from behind with mobile phones now they are massive.

I am aware that games take a while to develop but the phone has been out for a while now. I bought an XBOX when they first came out and games were being released in bundles, nobody said then, you have to wait for the XBOX to develop, though I realize they have gotten better.
    08-17-2011 06:29 AM
    so if MS is not delivering what the market wants .. how come sells are growing? you say numbers dont lie... boom.... your right....

and if the market doesnt want a WP ... then why are they buying them?? why did you buy one? ...

seriously .. i see ALLOT of new people on this forun in the last couple weeks . most of them just got a WP and all they do is complain... if you dont like it return it , you have 15 dayz and then cancel your wpcentral account . get an Iphone . and go to the Iphone central . they normally do the same thing you newbies do. ( and i say that to all them haters ) i dont like Pepsi ,,, so i int buying one.. lol
    GROWING didnt they drop to 7% of the market share from 13%
    08-17-2011 06:38 AM
    GROWING didnt they drop to 7% of the market share from 13%
    Is that a question? Otherwise back up numbers with reliably made-up statistics. And didn't the market share rise from 7% to bazillion percent? See what I did there?
    08-17-2011 07:00 AM
    You guys live in a fantasy! WP7 is NOT doing well right now!
    Not in the US, that's true. In Germany the sales are quite good:
    Windows Phone 7 crosses 2% market share in USA, has 7% of German market | WMPoweruser
    Not that bad for an OS that lacks some features (that will come with mango).
    My guess is that due to low price of unlocked devices they're selling quite well. In the pricerange of what WP7 devices are sold in Germany/Austria you'd have a hard time finding an Android device with similar specs (screenresolution, processor, smooth UI). And probably that sales people from providers don't badmouth WP7 as much as in the US.
    08-17-2011 07:45 AM
    Think I will follow Rumplestiltsken's advice and go sleep under a tree for a year (actually about 14 months), then wake up and read the comments in this thread. Everyone will be singing a very different tune. Can't wait.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    thed and VernonEL like this.
    08-17-2011 07:56 AM
    I've had my WP since Nov. 8th, 2010. I'm not into all the FFC's or Dual cores....I like WP because it WORKS!!! It does what I need it to do...it has the apps that I need it to have. It doesn't lockup or lag...it hasn't had a virus on it. What I'm trying to say is....phones are all about preference!! It you like ios or droid..so be it..enjoy what you have purchased. But remember folks it's only a PHONE!!! I can understand folks getting fired up over a politics, money, cars or a love one....but over PHONES???? Too funny in here sometimes!!! :-)
    Last edited by UpTownDC; 08-17-2011 at 08:56 AM.
    selfcreation and aximtreo like this.
    08-17-2011 08:23 AM
    When I say I love my WP7 I do. I ordered two phones, both HTC models, one with Android and another with WP7. On first boot-up, I quickly noticed that the WP7 stood out way above Android. WP7 looks attractive and as I mentioned in my first post, you wouldnt want to customize it that much, but would be nice to have some options, i.e. a picture behind the live tiles, prettier standard live tiles.
    r.
    Pay Attention and understand my point,
    I like WP7, The MetroUI is awesome, I use it every day, but i the frustration is we need better Hardware period, in order for the WP7 to enjoy success and gain market share.
    08-17-2011 08:32 AM
    man this is getting repetitive...

the only phone on the market that is faster and might be better then the WPs right now is the freaking Samsung Galaxies S 2 . and even at that its not even much better ... i compared it to my focus and .. meh... little faster to open a web page....

All he other Wp are at PAR with Iphone 4 and the rest of the Androids. ( aside from that useless front facing camera that no one uses )
    Hardware might nto be as good on paper , but because of the AMAZING smooth OS , it doesn’t make it cheaper , if anything its better lol. its like the duel core Motorola Atrix ,not smooth buggy and it crashes 80% of the time. so much for duel core..

Android 1.4GHz VS WP 1GHz ,, Wp is still smother and faster. i know this cause i work in cell phones and i have 5-10+ demo phones on my desk at all times to play with and test.

all and all the OS makes the phone not the Hardware.

Ok im done , im not posting any more on here. lol
    Last edited by Se1fcr3ation; 08-17-2011 at 09:00 AM.
    08-17-2011 08:53 AM
    Oh, and drawing a relation between bad sales numbers and consumer disapproval of WP7 is baseless. It's more likely due to the lack of advertising and subsequently the missing brand and product recognition and awareness.
    Totally agree.

Come on, peeps. The OS hasn't even been out a year. It's just too early for drama!

Let's face it: Nothing is going to make the kind of big splash that Apple makes with all its products. They just have a mystique that no one else can match, so why try to emulate them? MSFT is taking a different tack. But if you're going to put your money behind any one company in the mobile space today, you could do a lot worse than betting on this behemoth. We're not talking Palm here, what with the limited resources it had with WebOS. And I know this is anecdotal, but everyone I've shown my phone to has been dazzled by it. I even got one friend to switch from Android to a WP7 in the last month, with another two thinking hard about getting WP7 as their first smartphones.
    08-17-2011 11:09 AM
    I ask you, how many ways do you want a phone to ring. I just want to hear it and be able to answer. I'm not into impressing the people around me with "Who let the dogs out" or some such fodder.
    I too have no real reason to have custom ringtones. It's not like I'm a salesperson or something like that, I just feel that I need to be more an adult than have some annoying ringtone. I haven't missed custom ringtones one bit so far with Windows Phone so far.

Now here is the other side of the coin: Microsoft was absolutely stupid to forget to incorporate custom ringtones into their new operating system! I use Copy and Paste all of the time, and I wish they would have left that off of NoDo if only they would have added custom ringtones. The reason is simple: Many don't use them, and most don't need them, but EVERYONE feels that in this day and age, being able to use what you want for a ringtone is pretty dang close to being a constitutional right. It is just one of those things.

I am very glad that the issue is getting resolved, even though there is little chance that I will using that added feature.
    08-17-2011 01:18 PM
    It's not so much I want to show off with custom ringtones, more that I've had the same ringtone for 7 years now and it's what I recognise. I've had it on feature phones and smartphones, and my Mozart is the first one I've never been able to have it on.

Glad that'll get fixed with Mango (as long as I can get the damn thing uploaded via the Mac software!)
    08-17-2011 01:47 PM
    man this is getting repetitive...

Ok im done , im not posting any more on here. lol

aww c'mon man, dont give up now!!! lol

wp7 isnt behind par with hardware, ignore the specs my friend... use one, compare it. it is smooth, fast, reliable, and "it just works!" kinda like the iphone... the only thing it has wp7 doesnt right now is a FFC? and as stated before nobody even uses them! **** the super amoled screen makes that retina display look washed out. in addition, if a wp7 battery dies, as they all do, guess what? we can replace it! our antennas work too! im not even going to compare it to android, because there is no comparison. fragmented bloated up junk... market flooded with crap apps... "forced closes" omg, never again. between this UI an zune media player, it is the best you can buy right now. oh, and the FFC, dual core processors, 12 mp carl zeiss cameras, and waterproof shells are coming this fall...

ask the weebear for a pic of the latest windows phone coming out, there is a pic of it posted in my " what is your next wp7" thread... you would really like it...
    Last edited by Bear lx; 08-17-2011 at 02:20 PM.
    selfcreation likes this.
    08-17-2011 02:11 PM
    I also disagree that you can personalise a wp7 phone than an iphone.
    Why? On iOS you can change the background and the ringtones, that's pretty much it. On WP7 you can change the background, the ringtones and the colour theme, that's pretty much it.

The "USB thing" was using it as a storage device like you can with Android and Blackberry.
    Fair enough, not something everyone needs but it's a valid request, certainly not the be-all and end-all though.

The live tiles are going to be interesting yes but the main tiles have just slightly changed they are still flat boring colors.
    That's the Metro theme, simple. I don't know about you but i see them as functional and simplistic rather than 'boring' and I don't exactly find the glassy look of iOS icons, the rounded bulbous Maemo or any of the Android variations in any way 'exciting' or 'boring'.

I spend allot of time visiting mobile shops, talking to carriers about what OS to have before I bought my WP7, not one recommended wp7, main reason, you cant customise it.
    But you can't customize the iphone either, in fact if anything you can customize it even less. And why try and compete with customization? Android has this covered, that's the point of Android, if you want customization that's what you choose.

With regard to the apps, some are not just unstable, they dont work, not fit for purpose, so whats the point in putting them on.
    How is this any different from any other platform? This is exactly the same with iOS, Android, Meego, etc... You can't really change that without having an arbiter that's even more totalitarian than Apple's app store vetters.

Mango is being BETA tested why are the apps not?
    They are, it's the developers that should be testing them, just like every other platform in existence.

I suppose all you wp7 users have no concerns or issues with your OS.
    Of course most people do, but they are specific to WP7, not things that are either common to all OSes (apps) or paradigm-breaking subjective concerns (Metro UI customization).

Dual Core are not needed? A nice SoC Dual Core chip could push mobile Xbox Live gaming completely in a new direction!
    Except it probably won't, developers want to be able to port their applications across platforms so writing for above average hardware limits their exposure, not a good thing.

Plus the general public loves POWERFUL Hardware, whether it's needed or not, The General Public loves the satifaction of having a powerful device, its a selling point.
    Now that is living in a fantasy world, go ask the average user of the world's most popular smartphone what kind of hardware it has. They don't know, and they don't care, because it makes no difference whatsoever, and that's how it should be. A consumer shouldn't have to worry about whether their processor is fast enough or whether they have enough RAM.

The Current WP7 hardware stinks, useless MS leaks some really nice WP7 hardware soon, the mango update is NOT enough to keep consumers loyal WP7 platform especially with the current batch of hardware.
    What's wrong with it? The overwhelming majority of people do not care about the hardware, in fact they don't even know about the hardware. All they care about is the user experience.
    Last edited by exomondo; 08-18-2011 at 08:57 PM.
    08-18-2011 07:43 PM
    Interesting thread. I've only had my Trophy 3 weeks but I'm quite happy with it. I think MS has done an impressive job building an 'ecosystem' in a short time. I think mobile consumers who've never heard that term understand it as being able to use their device in all kinds of everyday situations, and with lots of options and support. (the apple experience). MS has come a long way towards achieving that. I think more reps to do outreach and support with retail staff would be a great investment. They're the ones who sell the phones. Looking forward to Mango! WebOS RIP!!
    08-19-2011 02:54 AM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD