Let the grand WebOS migration of 2011 commence!

nyquistjack

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
FYI WPCentral has its own app. It's much better than reading the site in the browser IMO. Also check out the Board Express Pro app for accessing the message boards :)

I'll definitely keep them in mind. I am under a staunch "no paid apps" rule right now. I want to make double extra sure we are sticking with this ecosystem before losing money in apps. I probably lost $150 in apps on webos :(

MedicX

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
However, I stayed up to date on all of the current smartphone offerings. The way I feel is that WP7 and IOS are the only systems that offer the elegance and ease of webOS. After playing around with an HD7S in the AT&T store on Saturday I know where I want to be.

That is it! ELEGANCE! That is what it is. That is the reason I don't like Android. No elegance. It is just all over the place.

sinister4g63

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I feel aside from webOS, the most elegant is WP7. Apple and iOS don't even come close. The only thing that bums me out is no mobile hotspot. :(

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I feel aside from webOS, the most elegant is WP7. Apple and iOS don't even come close. The only thing that bums me out is no mobile hotspot. :(

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

yeah that kinda sucks , i keep my OLD WM phone ( Omnia 2 ) so I can use my WIFI hotspot at my cottage.

but keep that frown upside-down , im sure its gona be coming soon ;)

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
That is it! ELEGANCE! That is what it is. That is the reason I don't like Android. No elegance. It is just all over the place.

Definitely. I used a Palm Pre- for 1 year, bought into the Android hype and "upgraded" to an Evo 4G, then ditched it after 8 months for an HD7.

I was extremely underwhelmed by Android. It's a mess of gaudy widgets and ugly-*** icons everywhere. There's no unified theme or vision to its design.

Plus, the performance is absolutely terrible. The framerate stutters all the time and there is a split second of input lag that feels VERY annoying compared to an iPhone or WP7 device. (In fact, I was blown away by how much more usable the WP7 on-screen keyboard is due to the instantaneous response time.) The OS is supposed to keep track of what apps to kill and what apps to keep running in the background, but it does a terrible job of it, and you need to reboot at least once a day to keep your performance from slowing to a crawl.

The funny thing is, the HD7 has basically the exact same internals as the Evo 4G and has a smaller battery, but it blows the Evo away in terms of performance AND battery life!

Wiccan Lagar

Aug 17, 2011
www.mpiofny.com
Not WP7 user YET but I will be soon. Just have to make a choice on what to get. Looking into switching to Tmobile because the Big Red Wolf huffs and puffs and blows my checking account balance down. Saw the HTC HD7 on display in the store a few weeks and wow what a device. Damn solid and beautiful. I will be honest. Put the Pre 2 hardware to shame.

Unfortunately I never got a chance to play with the WP7 OS. The phone was off and it didn't boot. While I know it's not going to be WebOS and have all the cool things that I like about WebOS, I read enough reviews to make my choice to jump ship to WP7. (Still want to play with the OS JUUUSSSTTTTT to be sure :p)

My only conundrum is whether I go HTC DV7 or Dell Venue Pro. I'm not sure how well I can fair off without a physical keyboard. :/ I am a rather fast typer and even on the cramped keyboard of my pre 2 I fire off messages at an alarming rate. Not sure if a touch full touchscreen keyboard would be able to cut it for me.

Also I heard a few problems with the Dell Venue Pro (WiFi issues, freezing, call quality not so hot, recemption on TMobile not so great, ect) and quite frankly it scares me a bit. I am actually asking for your help.

Any words of wisdom from the folks here?

Also, as a side note, I would like to say that the welcome WPCentral is giving the WebOS community is astounding. Seems like a cool place to hang. I read the articles almost every morning on the commute to work. Can't wait to REALLY be part of the community.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
My only conundrum is whether I go HTC DV7 or Dell Venue Pro. I'm not sure how well I can fair off without a physical keyboard. :/ I am a rather fast typer and even on the cramped keyboard of my pre 2 I fire off messages at an alarming rate. Not sure if a touch full touchscreen keyboard would be able to cut it for me.

Also I heard a few problems with the Dell Venue Pro (WiFi issues, freezing, call quality not so hot, recemption on TMobile not so great, ect) and quite frankly it scares me a bit. I am actually asking for your help.

A recent firmware update FINALLY fixed the connection/freezing issues with the Venue Pro. You can buy the 16GB version unlocked directly from Dell for $299 or free on contract, which seems like a darn good deal to me.

As far as the need for a physical keyboard goes. . . I'd say the virtual keyboard in WP7 is the best I've used. It's not quite as good as a real physical keyboard, but it completely blows away any Android virtual KB that I've used. WP7's fast performance and instantaneous response to your input really makes a world of difference when typing. I would recommend trying out the virtual keyboard for yourself before you make the decision.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Not WP7 user YET but I will be soon. Just have to make a choice on what to get.

Any words of wisdom from the folks here?

DVP owner here. After the latest firmware update, NO crashes, NO freezing, call quality has always been good, reception improved but I am starting to think the problem is also with T-Mobile as my HD2 shows the same behaviour of switching between G/E/3G, could be dependent on area.

Vs the HD7 I prefer the DVP screen and keyboard, camera not too good in low light but daylight shots can be very good.

BUT, if the rumours are true T-Mo could get a 4.5" Mango HTC handset, with later hardware, possible FFC, may be worth holding on for.

Wiccan Lagar

Aug 17, 2011
www.mpiofny.com
Well that's comforting to know that the virtual keyboard is accurate and responsive. Seeing I can't actually try out a dvp I will have to make judgement on the hd7. The problem is I have panda paws for hands. Which is why I have to be careful of the keyboard I type on. I will give the hd7 a spin tonight. Won't know until I get my paws on it.

And I do concur: the android virtual keyboard was an atrocity. Thanks for the advice and updaes on stability issues. You guys are great.

Wiccan Lagar

Aug 17, 2011
www.mpiofny.com
Well, I went to TMobile last night and played around with the phone.

1st and formost was that the HD7 responsive. The keyboard did not lag AT ALL. A+ in my book. However I can't see myself using only a virtual. I missed the physical touch of a key within minutes.

Looks like a Dell Venue Pro it is for me. Thanks Sharksandwich and efman for letting me know about the bug fixes and your quick responses.

I think I am gonna like it here in WPCentral. Cool peeps! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte