Picked up a WP7 Phone this weekend

xtravgnt

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Have used the iPhone and have used Android for the past year or two. I must say at first I almost took this thing right back T-Mo HD7. The browser was a joke, no multi-tasking etc but I read and went ahead and updated to Mango, HUGE difference.

My only complaints now are lack of a Google talk client since everyone I know uses it.

Other big thing is the FB integration, I love how it handles the messages BUT I wish it would take all messages into the stream. For example when someone sends me a message (not chat) from FB I would like it to pull it into the messages section of the phone. This would also be useful when replying to someone and their not online, instead of not being able to send the message it should send it to the FB message inbox so that person could read it later. Really I would like to be able to dump the separate Facebook app period lol

Last edited:

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Welcome. May I ask which Android phone where you using before.

There are some google voice apps for WP7, I used GV Voice, worked just dandy. Atleast for me it did.

You can download the FB app, that will handle you receiving message. It'll notify you when you when you get a new non IM message.

Have used the iPhone and have used Android for the past year or two. I must say at first I almost took this thing right back T-Mo HD7. The browser was a joke, no multi-tasking etc but I read and went ahead and updated to Mango, HUGE difference.

My only complaints now are lack of a google voice client since everyone I know uses it.

Other big thing is the FB integration, I love how it handles the messages BUT I wish it would take all messages into the stream. For example when someone sends me a message (not chat) from FB I would like it to pull it into the messages section of the phone. This would also be useful when replying to someone and their not online, instead of not being able to send the message it should send it to the FB message inbox so that person could read it later.

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand what you need from google voice. Most carriers offer unlimited texts. When You dial a number with gvoice on Android you are still using your minutes, not VOIP. My WP7 flawlessly pulls and updates my google contacts. About the only reason for gvoice would be international calling.. That will be fixed with Skype pretty soon though.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using WP7!

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Oh ok.. I've seen other people complain about gvoice, so if anyone else misses gvoice on wp7 please explain to me why.

xtravgnt

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Welcome. May I ask which Android phone where you using before.

There are some google voice apps for WP7, I used GV Voice, worked just dandy. Atleast for me it did.

You can download the FB app, that will handle you receiving message. It'll notify you when you when you get a new non IM message.

I've had the Cliq, Samsung Nexus S, Mytouch 4G, and Evo 4G. The Mytouch 4G being the most recent.

Yakolev

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
The Pre-Mango browser is a joke?, its a helluva lot better than the Symbian and Android offerings.

Hurray, we can see Flash adverts!

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I've been using this WP7 app for google voice called FreeTalk. Seems to work great on my HTC Arrive. Its in the market.

xtravgnt

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
The Pre-Mango browser is a joke?, its a helluva lot better than the Symbian and Android offerings.

Hurray, we can see Flash adverts!
Guess we will have to agree to disagree on that one. Even now I'm not fully a fan of the browser, seems to zoomed in for me, especially in landscape mode on forums and you can't zoom out past a certain point. But it gets the job done.

xtravgnt

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Oh, you can download IM+, there's a free ad supported version. A lot of people don't like it, but I gave it 4 stars and use it everyday.

Yeah I tried it, not really a fan. Takes too long to start up every time. But I guess I should not expect a solid Google Talk app on a Windows device anyways lol

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I tried it, not really a fan. Takes too long to start up every time. But I guess I should not expect a solid Google Talk app on a Windows device anyways lol
Yea I agree. The app is annoying to start up. Some services have web chat. Windows Messenger has one and if you linked your Facebook contacts you can talk to them. Seems to work fine while waiting for Mango.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Guess we will have to agree to disagree on that one. Even now I'm not fully a fan of the browser, seems to zoomed in for me, especially in landscape mode on forums and you can't zoom out past a certain point. But it gets the job done.

I highly recommend the Board Express Pro app for browsing the forums. It's WAY better than trying to post messages using a mobile web browser.

archer75

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand what you need from google voice. Most carriers offer unlimited texts. When You dial a number with gvoice on Android you are still using your minutes, not VOIP. My WP7 flawlessly pulls and updates my google contacts. About the only reason for gvoice would be international calling.. That will be fixed with Skype pretty soon though.

Free texts with google voice for one. I don't need to pay for a texting plan!
And there are google voice apps, at least on android, that let you use wifi for voip calls. My cell signal at my house can go from 5 bars to 0 bars so if I need more reliable calling here I just use VOIP over my wifi.

Personally I give everyone my GV number and they use that to call me. I can forward it to any phone I wish, even answer calls on my computer and of course free texts and visual voicemails. So no matter what phone I have, what carrier, what landline, etc. I can always keep the same google voice number and forward it wherever I wish. It's free. So no reason not to use it.

Plus if I don't have a device with me with GV on it I can also receive voicemail and texts via my email Which is also beneficial for me.

Here's a WP7 app: http://wpappshub.com/social/govoice-google-voice-with-push

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel