What is the future of user expandable memory.

EdAmiga1

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I currently own the Samsung Focus and have extended the memory with a 32GB microSD card. Initially it was a problem and the phone would periodically reset. This has not occured once since the update this spring, and it just works. This is the best money I have spent and I now have 40GB of memory available. 8 or 16 GB is simply not enough capacity for my storage, and I do NOT want to have to download content from the cloud when I need it.

What I have not heard anything about is if new phones will have this capability or if Microsoft if promoting this at all. I know they supposably added this capability only after manufacturers demanded it and then it was not promoted at all and basically discouraged.

Does anyone know if this is something that any of the new phones will have or if this is being promoted at all by Microsoft. I really like this feature.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
One can only hope. I have resisted upgrading my Trophy to 32 gbytes because you have to do a complete lobotomy to make the change. If nothing happens when the new phones come out; I'll break down and add the additional memory.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
im sure future phone will have more Internal memory , as for External its up to the OEMs

Like the Samsung Focus has 8G with expendable as for the Omnia 7 does not have expendable slot.

so its really gona depend if they want to add it or not.

we alredy have more then the Iphones with our Expendable slot :)
suprisingly the Iphone only has a max of 32.

EdAmiga1

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I guess I am asking if there has been any formal statement by Microsoft on this. Initially it was kind of informally supported, and then with NoDo they were fully supporing it. I am trying to understand what their strategy is on this.

Has anyone heard of new phones that have the expandable capability like the focus?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
This is an issue that still bugs me.

I have a Samsung Focus.

I don't really put music and stuff on my phone, but I do like to shoot video of my son. And we like apps.

Both my wife and I have gotten pretty close to using up all of the 8GB storage space on the phone already several times.

I want to expand the storage, but I don't want to go through the hassle of trying multiple cards and resetting my phone over and over again until I find one that works. And I don't want to do the "just try it and hope I get lucky" method.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
This is an issue that still bugs me.

I have a Samsung Focus.

I don't really put music and stuff on my phone, but I do like to shoot video of my son. And we like apps.

Both my wife and I have gotten pretty close to using up all of the 8GB storage space on the phone already several times.

I want to expand the storage, but I don't want to go through the hassle of trying multiple cards and resetting my phone over and over again until I find one that works. And I don't want to do the "just try it and hope I get lucky" method.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had the Focus when they were first introduced. I tried the Kingston and it bombed. I tried the Sandisk 32 gbyte class 4 and it worked like a charm. Don't get it off eBay. Buy it from a reputable firm, Amazon, to make sure it's not a knockoff.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I was actually pondering just getting a class 2 SanDisk 8 GB because as far as I know, it's the only one that is explicitly supported in the Focus documentation.

But I'm ideally looking for a 16 GB card that is supported.

Unfortunately, from what I understand, there is no real consumer card that can be identified as fully compatible based on anything you can read on the box. Class rating only refers to how efficiently it could read serialized data. And WP7 accesses data in a non-serialized way. So I've heard that higher class ratings can actually be a negative since the card has been made specifically for improved serialized data access.

So, yeah... as I was saying... I could buy a card that is the exact brand and class as someone else, but it may work for one person but not another person. Because the random data access speeds are not something that is tested in these consumer cards. And so one card may just happen to have great random data access speeds, while another does not. But since it's not a testing criteria, there is no way to tell.

I was told by an MS rep that hardware manufacturers do have a way of testing this. And that's how companies like HTC are able to use SD cards as their method of storage in their devices. But as far as I know, there is no consumer card available like that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa