09-07-2011 02:30 PM
87 1234
tools
    Relax. Next year is going to be huge for WP7. I'd say that IF WP7 is still struggling a year from now, it's a bad sign. But I don't think that will happen and here's why:

- As part of MS's deal with Nokia, WP7 will supposedly be getting Nokia's Ovi Maps for ALL devices, not just Nokia's. I hear this is one of the best maps/navigation programs out there

- the big Mango update, obviously

- 2nd wave of WP7 phones is imminent

- Nokia, one of the world's biggest smartphone manufacturers, switching to WP7 exclusively. Meaning we will finally see some true high-end flagship WP7 devices. (DO NOT underestimate Nokia if you live in the USA. They've never caught on in the US, but they are HUGE in Europe and in developing countries, and they're finally taking the US market seriously.)

- Nokia and MS supposedly have a lot of money set aside for a big advertising blitz.

- Android will be a lot less attractive to handset makers. HTC already pays MS $5 per Android device for patent royalties. MS is asking $15/device from Samsung, but Samsung is trying to negotiate it down to "only" $10/device in exchange for putting more focus on Microsoft products. The big one is Oracle, who could be collecting some serious royalties soon. And that's not to mention Google buying Motorola, which has to make their other handset partners very nervous.

- Launch of Windows 8. A lot more people will be exposed to the Metro UI and hopefully view Windows Phone as part of that same ecosystem. Not just a smartphone curiosity.

- The app catalog is growing like crazy, faster than iOS or Android were at this point in their lifetime. We just hit 30,000 apps. It won't be long before WP7's app catalog is just as good as Android's or iOS's.

So everybody, just chill out and give it some time. The way I see it, WP7 hasn't even gotten started yet.
    Feel good post of the week :) Well-said
    08-26-2011 09:43 AM
    The way I see it, WP7 hasn't even gotten started yet.
    Exactly. At the end of the day, WP7 will be in it's tenth month since its launch. When you sit and think about that, it's pretty impressive where the system is currently at.
    Last edited by Vallos; 08-26-2011 at 12:53 PM.
    08-26-2011 10:49 AM
    I like that MS is sitting back regarding 4G. They're taking the same approach as Apple, which is the smart one, because WP is more like Android than iOS.

Manufacturers who make Android devices do not compete on the OS plane, they compete on the hardware plane. That is why you see Android phones with huge screens, powerful processors, microSD slots, 10MP cameras, and 4G radios. I fell into the trap myself. I have an EVO 4G in my desk drawer. It's a beast, but it's not practical. 4G is useless if you can't get a signal or your battery dies. Someday it will be practical, but not in the next year or so.

Apple competes on the overall device level. They have the ability to make trade-offs that help the overall device. MS seems to be following that model, keeping hardware manufacturers in check to keep the overal device more practical. That is a good approach that, in my opinion, will win in the end.
    08-26-2011 12:27 PM
    I gotta say I disagree with needing 4g. I think 4g is nice(I've used an EPIC and a EVO before) but honestly, here in Chicago sprint's 3g was laughable compared to my 3g on my Verizon Trophy. I have used every OS on all carriers minus T-Mobile and I think Windows Phone is doing just fine. I think they should advertise more and most likely will once mango hits. I have the beta currently and even though some of the features don't work correctly yet I think its going to be very big. My phone on 3g does Netflix streaming wonderfully and browsing is very snappy and the interface itself is one of the best in terms of speed, and also Last.fm which is my favorite music service is always rock solid and for me is a reason alone to own a Windows Phone. I will say the HTC arrive on sprint that I had was slow for streaming and made me hate the phone, Netflix and Youtube were slow and browsing was as well.

Currently Windows seems to have done a very good job at getting the most out of the hardware it has, on paper the Trophy should be just an average phone and I was skeptical at first but it has been far more enjoyable than anything Ive used from Apple(iphone 3g for 1 year, 2 tours of duty with GSM/CDMA i4, Google(countless Android phones Ive used, and RIM(curve 8530/bold9650/style/bold9930, and Palm(pre).

I also think once the apps keep coming in which they've done a nice job with, WP7 will make a bigger leap.
    08-27-2011 08:17 AM
    it is definately a snappy , rock solid phone... i just hope it can compete. in terms of reliablity, it is the best ive used! just wish we could get them in more peoples hands, creat that demand for it. bring in more quality apps, and high end devices.
    08-27-2011 11:00 AM
    LTE isn't remotely mature enough to cause that sort of disruption. The plans are in disarray. The devices are rough. The transmission rates are crap compared to their potential. Once the wireless carriers get their act together and device makers figure out how to make the hardware usable for more that a few hours, maybe the race to LTE will be on. Right now its just impotent marketing blather. Who cares if half the country is covered in LTE if no one uses it. When 3G was rolled out it was almost immediately usable.
    08-27-2011 11:25 AM
    I think reliability is something wp7 does really well. I've had no battery pulls and everything just works no force closing my friend is a android guy and he complains of these issues and on all the Motorola handsets I used it was a big problem. Once the new mango phones come I think it'll catch on and Microsoft seems to be all in on this so I doubt they'll let it go to waste.
    08-27-2011 11:30 AM
    i hope not, MS still makes me say WTF? sometimes though, lol...
    08-27-2011 11:53 AM
    Relax. Next year is going to be huge for WP7. I'd say that IF WP7 is still struggling a year from now, it's a bad sign. But I don't think that will happen and here's why:

- As part of MS's deal with Nokia, WP7 will supposedly be getting Nokia's Ovi Maps for ALL devices, not just Nokia's. I hear this is one of the best maps/navigation programs out there
    This is a big deal.

Mainly because so many people are complaining about having to touch the screen during turn-by-turn navigation.

A lot of people don't know that touching the screen isn't done as a result of some technical difficulty, software issue, or just dumb design. It's a legal issue with the mapping service where they can't offer free unassisted turn-by-turn voice navigation. So it's a work-around.

With Ovi-maps, they likely won't have that issue. Well... the Nokia phones won't anyway. Though I could see a scenario where the price of the OS to manufacturers might increase slightly in order to pay Nokia for the added services.

- Launch of Windows 8. A lot more people will be exposed to the Metro UI and hopefully view Windows Phone as part of that same ecosystem. Not just a smartphone curiosity.
    This is also huge. Windows 8 will literally look like Windows Phone. And there will be ARM based tablets. And XBOX's dashboard will be tile-based.

So everybody, just chill out and give it some time. The way I see it, WP7 hasn't even gotten started yet.
    And let's not forget that Nokia's mapping service isn't the only thing they're contributing. They also have existing relationships and contracts with many countries for their marketplace. This could be leveraged to allow the Windows Phone Marketplace to expand quickly into areas where it is currently caught up in red tape.
    08-27-2011 02:44 PM
    Guys we are the pioneers the explorers the bad science experiment if you will. This platform has room to grow this platform needs to grow Microsoft is in for the long hall so is Nokia. These threads bring the short comings to light these threads are where Microsoft will get what they need to make available to developers what developers need to give us what we want. Microsoft leaves things out (WIFI tether) so they can be introduces where and when it is rite to do so. The evidence is everywhere so relax people there is not one thing discussed in this thread that is not possible with Mango (I'm not sure about blinking led for notifications seams that has been left out) but has been left out for a reason. We will get 4G, we will get, custom alert tones, we will get WIFI tether everything is possible but left out for a reason we have room to grow we will grow its going to be a long time before the WoW factor is gone from Windows Phone so relax and enjoy the ride because we are the pioneers.

Dave
    wolf1891 likes this.
    08-27-2011 04:20 PM
    Guys we are the pioneers the explorers the bad science experiment if you will. This platform has room to grow this platform needs to grow Microsoft is in for the long hall so is Nokia. These threads bring the short comings to light these threads are where Microsoft will get what they need to make available to developers what developers need to give us what we want. Microsoft leaves things out (WIFI tether) so they can be introduces where and when it is rite to do so. The evidence is everywhere so relax people there is not one thing discussed in this thread that is not possible with Mango (I'm not sure about blinking led for notifications seams that has been left out) but has been left out for a reason. We will get 4G, we will get, custom alert tones, we will get WIFI tether everything is possible but left out for a reason we have room to grow we will grow its going to be a long time before the WoW factor is gone from Windows Phone so relax and enjoy the ride because we are the pioneers.

Dave
    yeah... what he said...
    08-27-2011 04:29 PM
    Well, here in the UK..... 3G coverage is like "uber-fast" broadband.....
    Only about 35% of the coverage is the faster connections.

I find "4G" over here as more a of gimmick until at least 70% of the country actually gets 3G.
    So, in my opinion; WP7 will still compete with the "4G" phones regardless....

With regards to what Big D said.....

Look at Apple, they leave things out for a reason too..... They leave it out so they can continue their brand.
    Example, iPhone didn't have 3G when they could have included it.... But they left it for the iPhone 3G 6-12 months later.
    Last edited by dlusted; 08-28-2011 at 12:48 PM.
    08-28-2011 12:40 PM
    My HTC Inspire 4G gets the exact same Up/Down as my Focus. On avg ~2Mbps down and 1Mbps up. Yeah yeah... I know what you're thinking... My carrier is sloooow... But I think this is the norm for 90% of US smartphone users.
    08-28-2011 03:01 PM
    I love WP7 but I think WP7 will be hit with a 3 hit knockpunch, that will result in WP7 losing 80 percent of it's already shrinking marketshare, as a result of this WP7 will never be able to recover and MS will be forced to retire the platform in summer 2012.......(maybe bring it back later as Windows Phone 8)

The 3 hit knockout punch will be...

Step 1 - Droid Bionic Sept 9th and Galaxy S II devices on Sept 9th

Step 2 - Nexus Prime/Droid Prime running ICE CREAM SANDWICH

Step 3 - iOS5.0 and the iPhone 5

MS currently just doesn't have the firepower to compete against these devices and MANGO alone will not be enough..............
    09-05-2011 02:10 AM
    I love WP7 but I think WP7 will be hit with a 3 hit knockpunch, that will result in WP7 losing 80 percent of it's already shrinking marketshare, as a result of this WP7 will never be able to recover and MS will be forced to retire the platform in summer 2012.......(maybe bring it back later as Windows Phone 8)

MS currently just doesn't have the firepower to compete against these devices and MANGO alone will not be enough..............
    You're crazy. The galaxy s2 has been out for months overseas. The bionic is not going to live up to it's delayed delayed of a delay hype, and iOS 5 doesn't bring anything spectacular that 4 doesn't have. Besides maybe a camera icon on the unlock screen and some new notification methods...

-AcE
    Last edited by gekkoace; 09-05-2011 at 07:53 AM.
    09-05-2011 07:42 AM
    My HTC Inspire 4G gets the exact same Up/Down as my Focus. On avg ~2Mbps down and 1Mbps up. Yeah yeah... I know what you're thinking... My carrier is sloooow... But I think this is the norm for 90% of US smartphone users.
    That's more because that 4G isn't real 4G. It's just a bit faster 3G.

Real 4G is hardly available anywhere. All just marketing.

Pretty useless, I'd rather have better batteries and higher resolution displays (not bigger, higher resolution, 4 inch is the maximum I give a **** about.)
    09-05-2011 08:00 AM

Of those, only the iPhone5 is going after a similar demographic.

MS has made such a large investment into this, not only in Windows Phone itself, but the whole ecosystem, that they are nowhere even remotely near giving up.
    09-05-2011 09:08 AM

I don't see those as knockout punches. The only people who will HAVE TO buy an iPhone 5 are people who already have an iPhone 4. I think Apple will lose some people who are tired of getting hyped up about a now old-looking OS, but Apple may gain about the same amount when Sprint carries the iPhone 5. There's room there for MS to take customers though.

To the majority of cell phone customers, you just mentioned the Droid blah blah, the Droid blah blah blah, and some other Droid phones. To most people there is the iPhone, the Droid, the Blackberry that used to be popular, and then everything else. MS just has to get out of the "everything else" category.

Besides, this isn't going to end on September 9. This is a long battle that will probably extend through Christmas 2012.
    09-05-2011 09:38 AM

Doubt it.
    09-05-2011 10:27 AM
    Doubt it.
    heh... that's pretty much what I wanted to say too... you just managed to be much politer than I was inclined to be.
    ikkf likes this.
    09-05-2011 04:33 PM
    I think everybody who wants an iPhone already has an iPhone, and everybody who wants an Android phone already has one. I don't see ICS, GS2 or iPhone 5 having much of an impact on WP7.

IMO the next year will be great for Windows Phone. Nokia, the world's 3rd biggest smartphone manufacturer (after Apple and Samsung) is going exclusively WP7. They're making a whole range of phones to sell worldwide. They will be selling them subsidized through the carriers in the USA, so you might actually see them at cell phone stores! And they're the only ones IMO who build hardware as good as Apple's.
    09-05-2011 06:09 PM
    The main reason why Android is selling so much is because it's available on every carrier in every range. High, mid, low, Sprint, T-Mo, VZW, Cricket, Metro, AT&T, Big Louie's Cell Shack, US Cellular, you name it, there's an Android device. So 4G is not what's putting Android ahead of the game.

And comparing the Zune to this because it's a Microsoft product is null and void. WM has been around for YEARS before these other OS', so no, Microsoft is not going to drop it because of its sales. And this platform is not being treated like Zune, Palm, or any other failing item.

If anything, the UI would get overhauled before it's "dead"
    09-06-2011 02:19 AM
    That's more because that 4G isn't real 4G. It's just a bit faster 3G.

Real 4G is hardly available anywhere. All just marketing.

Pretty useless, I'd rather have better batteries and higher resolution displays (not bigger, higher resolution, 4 inch is the maximum I give a **** about.)
    Real 4G (meaning Wimax-Advanced or LTE-Advanced, if to go by the original meaning of the term 4G) isn't available anywhere at all and won't be for some time. However, what is being marketed as 4G is significantly faster than what is being marketed as 3G - we'll eventually have 168 mbit/sec on 4x4 MIMO on DC-HSPA (2x5 MHz carriers on the forward channel) and compared to classic 3G of 7.2 mbit it's probably worth a bump in the definition.

Marketing or not people are aware of the difference and it is a selling point and a fair number of people would, for example, be able to see the difference in streaming video on 3G vs what's being marketed as "4G" (LTE and the more aggressive HSPA+ variants).
    09-06-2011 04:20 AM
    Marketing or not people are aware of the difference and it is a selling point and a fair number of people would, for example, be able to see the difference in streaming video on 3G vs what's being marketed as "4G" (LTE and the more aggressive HSPA+ variants).
    That's a good point, but I think battery life is a bigger hurdle for mobile media streaming. Unless you're talking about the tablet market where data speed may be a deciding factor.
    09-06-2011 07:29 AM
    Ios 5 is just gona be a Faster App launcher...

the Android ICE CREAM SANDWICH is freaking Cranberry flavor , who wants that? lol

The Galaxy S 2 has been out in Canada for over 1 month and it int doing THAT great ( i know cause i sell it )

and who says market shares for MS are shrinking? they are actually growing.. lol . the OS is soo new and the fact that its just came out . its impossible that they are shrinking . not like they sold NEGETIVE 1million phones? lol??...

as for battery life . WP7 has the same as any other Smartphone’s .... so that’s a bad point.

Phone HW .. its now only missing due-core... but we still have 1.4+ Ghz coming witch is nice. and probly faster then most duel-core phones ont he market ( specially the Motorola ATRIX )

4G (lte) is still NOT WORTH it for MS and OEMs to invest into because not enough carriers around the world has it yet ( like 4-5 of them do out of 20+ ) So MS concentrates on more prominent Features that will make a differents to the OS NOW better then the HW later. OS is more important then a stupid Antenna.

What some of you dont relies yet is that the stable OS with Proper features is Much more important then Hardware.

Getting apps out , Adding more Xbox live features , more PHONE features , more Integration Into the OS of general Features. that’s what Count for MS.. not some stupid HARDWARE or ANTENA that will do ACTUALLY NOTHING for them, let them start by making the OS the best it can.

have you ever tried playing Xbox while having SEX? not a good idea.. probly not gona work very well. lol
    Last edited by Se1fcr3ation; 09-06-2011 at 08:28 AM.
    09-06-2011 08:15 AM
87 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD