How it could end.......(We need 4G)

Donta79

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I am Feeling that will the if the iPHONE 5 and the Google ICE Cream Sandwich devices both launch with LTE 4G before Microsoft/Nokia have a 4G device on the market, then that will be the Knockout punch for WP7 as the Apple and Google will help carriers lockin millions into 2 year contracts on the ICE CREAM SANDWICH and iOS5 platform...................

We need LTE 4G! Who think 4G is a gimmick now? VZW covers half US with 4G LTE

Verizon Wireless? 4G LTE Network Available To More Than Half The U.S. Population

Last edited by a moderator:

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I am Feeling that will the if the iPHONE 5 and the Google ICE Cream Sandwich devices both launch with LTE 4G before Microsoft/Nokia have a 4G device on the market, then that will be the Knockout punch for WP7 as the Apple and Google will help carriers lockin millions into 2 year contracts on the ICE CREAM SANDWICH and iOS5 platform...................

We need LTE 4G! Who think 4G is a gimmick now? VZW covers half US with 4G LTE

Verizon Wireless? 4G LTE Network Available To More Than Half The U.S. Population

It'll be easy for them to add HSPA+ to a Windows Phone. Most people don't really understand the differance between HSPA and LTE anyway. I'm sure there will be Mango "4G" handsets.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I would be surprised if the iPhone 5 has LTE. Right now the LTE chipsets are bulky and power-hungry, and those 2 things are not what Apple is known for. Maybe they'll have it next year when the chipsets slim down, but probably not this year.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Well seeing that you need a tethering plan on top of your already existing plan. And you're limited to 5G of data (AT&T, don't know what it is for Verizon), I don't really need 4G. HSPA+ will be just fine. I don't know what people are doing on their cellphone that need 50Mbps access. I think 4G is just a catch phrase until they undo these low data caps. It's not a gimmick, but kinda limited.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
well we already have HSPA+ wp7 ( in canada any ways: SAmsung focus, HTC HD7 , LG optimus/quantum ect... ) !! LTE and HSPA+ is not the same 4G .....

honestly it doesnt matter , LTE coveres up to what 75mb a sec?? and phones max out at 14mb?? (maybe 21 now ) so who needs it... not me its still a gimmick

LTE = best for Turbo stick ( mobile internet sticks ) its prety useless for cell.

to bad clients dont know that.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I've seen a verizon LTE phone get around 10.91mbps down and 11-12mbps up. Haven't seen anything higher. As you said, you'll see the higher speed using a USB dongle.
well we already have HSPA+ wp7 ( in canada any ways: SAmsung focus, HTC HD7 , LG optimus/quantum ect... ) !! LTE and HSPA+ is not the same 4G .....

honestly it doesnt matter , LTE coveres up to what 75mb a sec?? and phones max out at 14mb?? (maybe 21 now ) so who needs it... not me its still a gimmick

LTE = best for Turbo stick ( mobile internet sticks ) its prety useless for cell.

to bad clients dont know that.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm not in a rush for LTE. It drains battery life and with small data caps all it does is let you hit your cap faster in the month. Remember the first iPhone didn't have 3G when that was the norm.

hes so hott

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
OP, forgive me but WTF are you talking about? LTE is the game changer? LTE is going to make everyone go crazy and only seek out devices that have it? Um..... You do know that AT&T doesn't even have it's LTE network up and running as of today? You do know that they'll only have 15 markets with LTE by the end of the year? You do know that the speculation has been that Apple will not deliver a LTE capable iPhone 5 bc of battery life issues, right? You have seen the reports/rumors that AT&T's first LTE phone will come later this year allegedly from HTC.

Android manufacturers are the only ones delivering LTE devices at the moment and only on Verizon. I haven't seen reports of folks dropping their non-LTE Android devices and running to Verizon for the battery draining goodness that is first gen LTE devices. You may have seen the masses run into Verizon grabbing the LTE phones with reckless abandon but I haven't.

AT&T will be lucky to have 30 LTE markets a year from now so the massive migration you're expecting bc of LTE's arrival hasn't happened and likely will not happen any time soon; and anytime soon being within the next 2 years. When LTE becomes widespread OUTSIDE of Verizon and the technology has improved to the point where it doesn't kill battery life, then you'll see more non-Android manufacturers release LTE devices. And when that happens you'll see more uptake of such LTE devices that don't die after 3 hours of LTE use. So that still leaves time for Windows Phone to continue to grow and evolve. It's not a zero sum game.

Just bc you're all goo-gaga over the latest LTE beast doesn't mean that regular America is. Regular Americans are just beginning to discover high speed home internet. We're a small, small, small minority of the telco community and we should remember that.

Donta79

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
OP, forgive me but WTF are you talking about? LTE is the game changer? LTE is going to make everyone go crazy and only seek out devices that have it? Um..... You do know that AT&T doesn't even have it's LTE network up and running as of today? You do know that they'll only have 15 markets with LTE by the end of the year? You do know that the speculation has been that Apple will not deliver a LTE capable iPhone 5 bc of battery life issues, right? You have seen the reports/rumors that AT&T's first LTE phone will come later this year allegedly from HTC.

Android manufacturers are the only ones delivering LTE devices at the moment and only on Verizon. I haven't seen reports of folks dropping their non-LTE Android devices and running to Verizon for the battery draining goodness that is first gen LTE devices. You may have seen the masses run into Verizon grabbing the LTE phones with reckless abandon but I haven't.

AT&T will be lucky to have 30 LTE markets a year from now so the massive migration you're expecting bc of LTE's arrival hasn't happened and likely will not happen any time soon; and anytime soon being within the next 2 years. When LTE becomes widespread OUTSIDE of Verizon and the technology has improved to the point where it doesn't kill battery life, then you'll see more non-Android manufacturers release LTE devices. And when that happens you'll see more uptake of such LTE devices that don't die after 3 hours of LTE use. So that still leaves time for Windows Phone to continue to grow and evolve. It's not a zero sum game.

Just bc you're all goo-gaga over the latest LTE beast doesn't mean that regular America is. Regular Americans are just beginning to discover high speed home internet. We're a small, small, small minority of the telco community and we should remember that.

Men Lie , Women Lie, Number's don't.
Every selling LTE 4G device on VZW had massive sales.
Heck The Thunderbolt outsold the iphone 4 on VZW.
LTE was the driving force of those sells!

Also if you actually read, I am a VZW unlimited subscriber so i don't care what att has and doesnt have. But for you knowledge att's LTE devices hit this fall

nyquistjack

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site

Yikes..brutal tone.

I didn't read the article or even all of this post. I do know that when I went to Sprint to by my arrive, the first thing the sales lady said was "you do know this doesn't have 4g?" I really didn't care cause 4G is wackado right now. But its definitely a buzzword that will further push users towards android. While I don't know that non-LTE will be the end of WP7 I do have to echo the sentiment that I hope its coming soon. I just had an OS die on me...can't take another one...

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
soo where exactly does it say that Wp wont have LTE? .....

And Verrizon`s LTE doesn?t even cover 10% of the US LMAO!! so who give a F****

Coverage Locator - Verizon Wireless ( click ont he 4G coverige and hit refreh , thast the LTE the little BROWN spots..... seriously? lol ... and i think 10% is being generous

so LTE was a Driving force of Misleading advertising regarding sell?s in the WHOLE country? great . you have a 4g LTE phone .. but u dont get LTE ,, lol please wait 1 more year for it to hit your area?. If not 2..

Last edited:

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
5 months left on my ticker... if this mango release doesnt boost sales, neither will tango or apollo... what we have people is a zune hd! a beautiful, smooth, masterpiece of a device!.... that doesnt sell, so in the end, dies.... i hope the best for this platform, but have very little faith for it now that i have mango and see key features still missing

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
soo where exactly does it say that Wp wont have LTE? .....

And Verrizon`s LTE doesn?t even cover 10% of the US LMAO!! so who give a F****

Coverage Locator - Verizon Wireless ( click ont he 4G coverige and hit refreh , thast the LTE.. seriously? lol ... and i think 10% is being generous

so LTE was a Driving force of Misleading advertising regarding sell?s in the WHOLE country? great . you have a 4g LTE phone .. but u dont get LTE ,, lol please wait 1 more year for it to hit your area?. If not 2..

Verizon's LTE now covers half the US population, and they are going live with several new markets soon.

LTE is a big deal, and so is 4G in general. Everybody wants a 4G phone now. Evo 4G sold like hotcakes, and now the Thunderbolt is selling like crazy as well. (I work at airports and I like to keep an eye on what people are using. I see these allllll the time).

Nobody "needs" 4G, but that's beside the point. People WANT it.

Garrett92C

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I just need to say this. It's absolutely ridiculous that while data speeds are getting faster (much faster), data caps are getting smaller... It doesn't make any sense!

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
lol no it doesnt.. did you even look at the coverige?
He said population, not area. While the coverage area is really small, it covers all the major population centers. 50% seems about right to me.

I think all this talk about LTE is a little premature. We don't even know yet which of the upcoming phones are GSM or CDMA, let alone if they have LTE. If Nokia is indeed releasing a high end phone for Verizon then it may have LTE support.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb