Wonder when we're going to see some high-end sets...

Dark Mirage

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
WP7 is still waiting on our version of something like the Evo 3D, or Galaxy SII.

Personally I love my Focus, but I can't wait to pick up something with more oompf (dual-core) or a Super AMOLED Plus. The benchmark leaks don't seem to show any phones of that quality though :/. Wonder when they'll finally show up.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
well aside from the Fiji and the NOkia ,, all other phones are pretty much Rumors so we dont know yet...

Duel-core = meh , still think its a gimmick and wont really be needed for an other eyar.. the OS is already Smother and Faster then the Iphone 4 , and all the Androids phone ( accept for the GSII witch is the only one that beat my FOCUS in a speed test )

But if they are cooing out with duel-core .. probly Q1 - q2 next year.

PS i really want a S-AMOLED PLUS too :p

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
You don't think dual core processors would help out gaming and video chat? I thin it's much needed. The OS is smooth, but some of my games crawl.
well aside from the Fiji and the NOkia ,, all other phones are pretty much Rumors so we dont know yet...

Duel-core = meh , still think its a gimmick and wont really be needed for an other eyar.. the OS is already Smother and Faster then the Iphone 4 , and all the Androids phone ( accept for the GSII witch is the only one that beat my FOCUS in a speed test )

But if they are cooing out with duel-core .. probly Q1 - q2 next year.

PS i really want a S-AMOLED PLUS too :p
Which phone has a s-amoled+ screen, I'd like to check it out and see how much better it is over just AMOLED.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
You don't think dual core processors would help out gaming and video chat? I thin it's much needed. The OS is smooth, but some of my games crawl.

Which phone has a s-amoled+ screen, I'd like to check it out and see how much better it is over just AMOLED.

the SAmsung Galaxie S 2 is the only with AMOLED PLUS so far i think..

ist the same thing but has 50% mpre pixels , so it does look less saturated now.

yeah i guses i ahve 1 or 2 games that could use it , but honestly my games dont lag that much, and Games are 99% of my cell usige lol.

nyquistjack

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I am pretty happy with my Arrive from a performance standpoint. Although to be honest I haven't played many games yet.

I would like something slightly less hugemoungus though. Something in a 4.3" slab, which I cannot believe I am saying. Always been a VKB hater...but win7 makes it so easy.

Dark Mirage

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
4.3" is just about right IMO. 4.5" is the maximum I could stand. I tried using an HD7s a few days ago when I was across the border, and hoooly that phone is large. Beautiful, but large. Definitely wouldn't want anything larger.

And I don't find dual-core to be a gimmick... If you tinker with SII, you'll see the difference it makes. Admittedly no real games are using that power yet, or the Adreno 205-220. Still, it made NOVA noticeably more fluid.

Better to have dual-core than not have it anyways, especially since by early next year we should see apps begin to take full advantage of these higher end specs. It's nice to have a phone you know will be future proof for a good while.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I think a little faster GPU would be helpful. But not necessary. The main thing we have to remember is that apps and games will be targeted at existing minimum specs. Yes, there are some games that can push the GPU to its limit causing a little stuttering. But a slightly faster GPU should smooth it all out. And then any GPU faster than that won't have any noticeable improvement because there won't be games that will put it to use.

A 1 Ghz CPU is already nice as fast for the OS itself. At 1.2 Ghz, we're probably looking at more than enough. No need for dual-core because it won't be used. At least not this generation.

Maybe for WP8, when there will be a new set of minimum specs. But by then, aren't we all planning on buying new handsets? :)

I think the major improvements that could be made (other than added hardware functionality like a front facing camera, HDMI out, etc...) in RAM and storage.

Increased RAM will allow the OS to keep more applications in memory, allowing for faster resume times. I'd like to see 1 GB devices.

And then there's storage. I'd like to see devices with 32 GB storage built-in, with an expandable memory slot to add another 32.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
In all honesty, If I could have waited to get the HD7S with with the 4.3" screen on AT&T before I got my Focus, I wouldn't be upgrading to new hardware at all. I was all against screen larger than 4.3", until I played with my friends Evo 3G. The size is perfect. i think 4.5 - 4.7 is as far as I would go. The Dell streak is a little to much for me.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
HTC is announcing the Omega and the Eternity on September 1st. Both supposedly have 1.5 GHz 2nd-gen Snapdragon CPUs. It's not dual-core, but it's the 2nd-gen Snapdragon with a GPU 3x as powerful as the 1st-gen that's in all the pre-Mango phones. That's the same SOC that the Thunderbolt and Xperia Play run on, but with a 50% overclock.

There's also the Samsung SGH-i937, the WP7 version of the Galaxy S2. No word on the internal specs, but it looks to have the same Super AMOLED Plus screen.

One of the virtues of WP7 is that it runs buttery smooth even on relatively old CPUs that Android runs slow and laggy on. While the computer geek in me would LOVE to see the latest ridiculously powerful dual-core SOC in a WP7, I realize that in reality it's just not necessary. I'm not going to worry about it if we don't see any dual-core WP7 phones in the near future.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
HTC Omega
First HTC Omega renders confirm front-facing camera | WMPoweruser
HTC is announcing the Omega and the Eternity on September 1st. Both supposedly have 1.5 GHz 2nd-gen Snapdragon CPUs. It's not dual-core, but it's the 2nd-gen Snapdragon with a GPU 3x as powerful as the 1st-gen that's in all the pre-Mango phones. That's the same SOC that the Thunderbolt and Xperia Play run on, but with a 50% overclock.

There's also the Samsung SGH-i937, the WP7 version of the Galaxy S2. No word on the internal specs, but it looks to have the same Super AMOLED Plus screen.

One of the virtues of WP7 is that it runs buttery smooth even on relatively old CPUs that Android runs slow and laggy on. While the computer geek in me would LOVE to see the latest ridiculously powerful dual-core SOC in a WP7, I realize that in reality it's just not necessary. I'm not going to worry about it if we don't see any dual-core WP7 phones in the near future.
I agree, the OS itself is the fastest I've ever used.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Performance wise my current device is more than adequate, I have never felt I needed a faster CPU. Another thing to remember is that all devs havent found out how to fully optimise their software for the OS yet so some apps run better than others. Mango brings a performance boost to the OS and applications so current users definitely wont feel like they need to upgrade for better performance.

However I would definitely like to see better handsets but more from a design standpoint. I think the average consumer would be more impressed with a fantastic hardware design rather than what is going on under the hood. WP7 is well optimised for its hardware and with the updated specs allowing for a speedier CPU and GPU the increased speed along with some really premium designs will go a long way if consumers get to try the new handsets.

I think though that the spec junkies who are more impressed with a spec sheet will always be critical of WP7 for not having the latest and greatest regardless of whether it brings real benefits to the end user experience.

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
In all honesty, If I could have waited to get the HD7S with with the 4.3" screen on AT&T before I got my Focus, I wouldn't be upgrading to new hardware at all. I was all against screen larger than 4.3", until I played with my friends Evo 3G. The size is perfect. i think 4.5 - 4.7 is as far as I would go. The Dell streak is a little to much for me.

I have no doubt that you have already looked at the HD7s in person, but I don't see it as a step up. The HD7s' screen isn't nearly as good as my lil' 'ole Quantum, and not even close to the Focus. Of course it's bigger, but I was ready to get the HD7s until I began scrolling through the start screen. Not worth it for me.

JMHO

MrMocoCoco

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
WP7 is still waiting on our version of something like the Evo 3D, or Galaxy SII.

Personally I love my Focus, but I can't wait to pick up something with more oompf (dual-core) or a Super AMOLED Plus. The benchmark leaks don't seem to show any phones of that quality though :/. Wonder when they'll finally show up.
a message I got from:QUALCOMM Incorporated

Hi Michael. Yes, only Snapdragon S3 devices have a CPU of 1.5 GHz, and those are dual-core. For more info, go to: Mobile Processors | Snapdragon | Qualcomm
Yesterday at 8:49pm ? Like

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
a message I got from:QUALCOMM Incorporated

Hi Michael. Yes, only Snapdragon S3 devices have a CPU of 1.5 GHz, and those are dual-core. For more info, go to: Mobile Processors | Snapdragon | Qualcomm
Yesterday at 8:49pm ? Like

I was wondering about that. The spec chart on Wikipedia doesn't show a 1.5 GHz version of the 8255 (the chip rumored for the Eternity). I just assumed it was some new variant of the Snapdragon.

Sounds like the leaked specs for the Eternity/Omega might be wrong. Hopefully we'll know more soon.

Dark Mirage

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I actually recall someone saying that WP7 isn't actually designed to use dual-core now that I think about it. Is that true? Because if it is, that's kind of a shame. Maybe the next big update will incorporate the functionality (though, really, that would mean a whole new line of phones again).

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site
okay, I'll say this much on the subject. The O/S may not NEED any higher end specs than what we've got now but, a higher spec'd model as a "flagship" would be nice to market to those people who MUST have the latest/greatest/fastest/etc-est thing on the market. Other than that though, it wouldn't really serve much of a purpose to bring out a high end model (just give me a phone with a good camera instead of the crummy one my DVP has and I'd be pretty pleased).

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I actually recall someone saying that WP7 isn't actually designed to use dual-core now that I think about it. Is that true? Because if it is, that's kind of a shame. Maybe the next big update will incorporate the functionality (though, really, that would mean a whole new line of phones again).

I haven't been able to find a straight answer for this. Here's what I know:

- Qualcomm lists it's dual-core processor as being compatible with WP7.

- WP7 is based on Windows CE, which only got dual-core support in version 7, which came out March of 2011. However, WP7's kernel supposedly borrowed features from WinCE 7's kernel. So it MIGHT have dual-core support already.

- Nokia's WP7 phones to use U8500 dual-core 1.2GHz chipsets? - GSMArena.com news
ST-Ericsson's CEO said that Nokia would use their dual-core chips in at least some of their WP7 phones. However, the Sea Ray is definitely running a Qualcomm chipset, judging by the leaked video Nokia 'Sea Ray' prototype running WP7 Mango - YouTube (notice the Qualcomm 'Q' logo during the boot up).

Anybody know anything else? I have been wondering about this for a while.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99