WebOS lurker requests info

Endosmok

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm a lurker... even on the WebOS sites, but had a simple question that I wasn't sure about after my own research.

Are all the current Windows 7 phones upgradeable to 7.5 (Mango)?

If so, are you tied relying on the carrier to actually release the update officially as oppossed to Microsoft?

Reason I ask is that I see all these new 'MANGO' phones coming out and that gives the impression to someone not so knowledgeable that the older phones may or may not be upgradeable.

More so... I was holding off for the Pre 3 and switching to AT&T from Verizon (Page Plus), but like many others, I got the big shaft... Anyways, I know updates vary from carrier to carrier, so my question is leaning more towards AT&T phones.

While I have your attention, the current flock of phones (assumming they run Mango), how do they perform running 7.5?

Or should I wait for the new ones in the fall? I can't wait too long, the wife is pissed off as it is after the Pre 3 debacle... we would be upgrading from Palm Pixi Plus phones, so anything is probably faster than what we are now experiencing.

Thanks for any info that can be provided.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm a lurker... even on the WebOS sites, but had a simple question that I wasn't sure about after my own research.

Are all the current Windows 7 phones upgradeable to 7.5 (Mango)?

Yes.

If so, are you tied relying on the carrier to actually release the update officially as oppossed to Microsoft?

Yes.

Reason I ask is that I see all these new 'MANGO' phones coming out and that gives the impression to someone not so knowledgeable that the older phones may or may not be upgradeable.

I imagine that's what carriers want you to think so that you buy new phones. Not that they will outright lie. But if that's the impression that's given, I'm sure they're happy with it.

More so... I was holding off for the Pre 3 and switching to AT&T from Verizon (Page Plus), but like many others, I got the big shaft... Anyways, I know updates vary from carrier to carrier, so my question is leaning more towards AT&T phones.

While I have your attention, the current flock of phones (assumming they run Mango), how do they perform running 7.5?

I'm hearing that people are seeing speed increases. I haven't tried it yet. Though I'm tempted.

Or should I wait for the new ones in the fall? I can't wait too long, the wife is pissed off as it is after the Pre 3 debacle... we would be upgrading from Palm Pixi Plus phones, so anything is probably faster than what we are now experiencing.

Thanks for any info that can be provided.

If I were you, I'd wait for the new handsets. Some phones may have things like front facing cameras. And all new Mango phones will have a gyroscope as opposed to an accelerometer, giving a little more accuracy in measuring phone movement.

Though I imagine those will run around $200 with contract.

Right now there are deals (like at Amazon Wireless) where you could buy a Samsung Focus for $0.01 with a 2 yr AT&T contract.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
WP7 runs very smoothly on the first-generation devices. Supposedly Mango actually runs even faster and cuts down on battery usage even more.

That said, you might want to wait just a little longer. The next-gen phones are just around the corner. In fact, HTC is announcing the Eternity and Omega on September 1st. If I were on AT&T, I'd go with the Eternity for sure. It has a 4.7 inch screen and 1.5 GHz processor. I'm jealous!

Cyterio

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I am a former webOS user, coming from a Palm Pre. I know all to well the feeling of getting shafted. I remember webOS 2.0 being promised for all devices and I patiently waited with 1.4.5 for the big hyped 2.0 update which never came. I hope that the carriers don't drag their feet with Mango, not that the webOS 2.0 was withheld by the carriers (it was Palm/HP).

As far as buying now or waiting, you could always buy the phone outright now and sell it later in the fall once they new devices come out.

Endosmok

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the quick replies... I am looking forward to the switch... As for the new phones... I believe I can wait, but the wife may need some sweet talking... Coming from the Pre, we are both used to the keyboards... The LG Quantum looks to be ideal, except it's not a new phone... I myself am willing to try out a qwertyless phone... but one thing I do not want is a large screen... 3.6 / 3.7 seem to be the largest I will go.

I am sure other Pre users are having adjustment issues with the selection of phones for Windows 7. I previously was going to go out and get an Android phone such as the Sony Xperia Pro, which fits my size and physical keyboard requirements.... but I am willing to be flexible in order to switch to WP phones.

I am hoping Fall will reveal more details as to what will be available (at least on AT&T).

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
T...we are both used to the keyboards... The LG Quantum looks to be ideal, except it's not a new phone... I myself am willing to try out a qwertyless phone... but one thing I do not want is a large screen... 3.6 / 3.7 seem to be the largest I will go.

I chose the Quantum for the same reasons. Respected reviewers that own several say that it's screen it nearly as good as the Focus' and there is no question that the keyboard is good. (Not perfect though, there are a couple little quirks.) I, however, do not use the keyboard anymore. Windows Phone's virtual keyboard is amazing. Literally just as good or better that the iPhone's by most accounts.

If I were in a hurry to get a WP device right now, I would buy a Quantum outright from eBay or something. It has been running about $150. Then, hold out until January or so for the best of the next wave to come out, and possibly comedown in price.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb