I can't decide if I should stay with android or go to wp7 opnions please

monotok

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
"i came from Android after nearly 2 years with a Moto Milestone (Droid in US).
I loved Android, the way you can customise it and change everything etc, but after having a custom rom of Gingerbread. It was slow, forced closes, random reboots etc and it done these before the custom rom.
The most annoying thing? The way Android seems to be just a random mix of apps. It's like they just got a bowl and throw all the things in and crushed it together.
Why the heck is their a separate gmail app from an email app? Everything just seems to be apps and not integrated into the OS, every app looks completely different to the OS and it just seems so inconsistent.
Thats why I looked at webOS but then HP announced they are dropping hardware and I jumped ship to WP7.
The best thing i have ever done, so smooth and fluid, looks very integrated and most apps seems part of the OS as in they look similar and carry the same theme.
"
That is a quote from my other post, they are basically the reasons i got annoyed with android. Don't get me wrong, i do like but i don't love it or see anything special anymore.
I was a massive fan but then it just got same old, every update didn't address the bad UI etc.

I thought i would miss the openess and ability to customise it to anything, but tbh I think the only reason i liked doing that was because android needed to be customised to look better and add functionality. When i used Wp7 for the first time last week i didn't think about not being able to do all of that because it just worked out of the box and was beautifully smooth.
I do miss the apps like full battery monitors and other utilities as there is no access to the API's in WP7 but that will probably change in Mango i think.
:)

prjctchris

Mar 1, 2011
www.prjctmobile.com
Both operating systems will be undergoing major revisions in the fall with the release of Windows Phone Mango and Android Ice Cream Sandwich. Both updates could potentially bring what you'd be looking for, if not more to each OS. So for now, I'd sit tight and not worry too much about it.

GMJeff

Feb 15, 2007
Visit site
It will eventually be your decision

I currently own numerous phones and carry a Samsung Focus and a HTC Inspire 4G.

When it comes to the Windows Phone/Android argument, it is all a matter of taste as well as software used, and sometimes the level of "geekdom" someone may be prone to.

I came from a background of all types of phones, dumb and smart alike. I left an iPhone 4 because it was a closed world without jailbreaking. You needed to jailbreak to install some of the better non-conforming apps in the app market. That is a whole other world though.

I joined into Android because it had an app market similar to Apple's, which would allow me to switch devices and only lose a few apps that I used a lot. I used Android for about 2 years before Windows Phone 7 emerged.

I bought the Samsung Focus because I had Windows Mobile phones in the past and have always been a PC user. Kind of like a PC to PC match, so to speak. The marketplace isn't super large yet, but is growing. I can find most of the major apps I used on iPhone as well as Android, but still not all, that is why I still keep an Android phone, too. Eventually, I will drop the Android phone, too.

I like the Windows Phone UI. The live tiles on the home screen allow for a glance and go type of feature, if the app supports them. The pictures tile, contact tiles, Xbox Live tile all have movement to them that allows you to see something extra. The other things I like about the UI is the menus and settings where they look minimalistic, but yet they can be informative as well with explinations about what the toggle does.

Not to say that Android does not do that, but the use of numerous different sized fonts to me is much fresher looking than Android's iPhone like look. I know Android can be skinned as well as rooted to add extra functionality, as well as widgets, but sometimes an excessive amount of adjustment can be a pain just as well as none at all.

I am not totally biased to Windows Phone over Android, but I do lean towards Windows Phone.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
My thing has always been the integrity of the underlying operating system and the synergy between the hardware and software.

Android continues to push the only meme they can and that is to liken the phone to that of a PC. Because like any wolf in sheep's clothing, this is the only way they can use that slight of hand to get you to use that platform.

Notice, and unlike IOS and WP7, they tell you NOTHING about what the operating system can do. The talk is about apps and hardware. Which is like giving a stack of engineering books to a guy that can't read. Yes you can customize the look of those books by arranging some sideways and others vertically so the titles look engaging. But you still cannot read.

This is the android OS.

It is Linux with a candy coated shell. It is like the days of DOS running Windows 3.11 with PC Tools as it's GUI interface. It is a baron wasteland with a clock and calendar and a phone. Which is probably why it takes the Photon almost an entire minute to boot and another 20 seconds before you can make a phone call. My HTC Arrive can go from a dead stop to tiles in 24 seconds and two more to make a call. But I digress.

WP7 is more "complete" as an os than anything from the ad agency. WP7 is built by a company that knows software and has been involved solely in software its entire existence.

If you think some chick in leather with a sword has any idea about cell phones, you need to look deeper. Its a throw back to the story of Adam and Eve story. Don't be another mark. Like I always tell people who point to some bogus activation numbers from Google, McDonald's might sell a billion burgers but it don't make it a gourmet meal. Sooner or later, that stuff will make you sick as it did me.

Last edited:

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I currently own an Inspire 4g (Android) and a Focus (WP). I enjoy my experience on the Focus much more. There are many reasons but my number one is the IS and app stability (no spontaneous forced closes or reboots on WP) and 2: the users here in the forums are essay more helpful

Try any WP and I guerentee after you get use to it in a few days you won't regret switching.

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm not convinced that Ice Cream Sandwich will make it by fall.

Personally. Could be wrong but....just my gut.

And actually, if it does, the only phone that will have it will be the Nexus Prime...or whatever else it will be.

monotok

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I have the Dell Venue Pro, i think WP7 is so smooth etc that more powerful hardware wouldn't really make a difference. Mines boots up in 21 seconds! My Moto Milestone took 1min 40 before i could do anything :/

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I switched from the Evo 4G to the HTC HD7. HD7 blows Sprint's "superphone" away. HD7 offers faster performance, better battery life (despite having a smaller battery!), and a much more complete OS that boots in less than half the time.

If all you care about is the sheer number of apps, then go with Android. If you want a high-quality, well-designed OS, WP7 is the way to go. And WP7 is catching up with the apps, it just hit 30,000 last week. It's growing faster than iOS or Android did at this point in their life.

Also, I am skeptical about Ice Cream Sandwich. I really have little confidence in Google's ability to deliver on large-scale, complex software projects. Consider:
1. Honeycomb isn't, and will probably never be, open-sourced. This is supposedly because the code is an ugly mess. Early Honeycomb tablets had all sorts of problems.
2. The Intel Atom port of Android is also supposedly a poorly-performing mess.
3. If you've ever used Android, you know the performance just sucks. It's inconsistent, choppy, and there is a large lag with input. Battery life is terrible. The OS is supposed to decide what stays running vs. what gets suspended, but it does a terrible job of it, so you never know what's running in the background slowing your phone to a crawl. Lots of people have problems with apps hanging/crashing.

So I guess we'll see how ICS turns out. But I have little confidence. Google should stick to advertising and nifty Javascript/HTML5 stuff. Leave the serious OS development to companies like Microsoft and Apple who have perfected the art.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
You really shouldn't come to a WP7 fan site and ask that type of question. You won't get unbiased opinions. I'm pretty sure the same thing would happen if you go to androidcentral and ask the same question.

sent from my desire
If I got to macrumors and ask, "WP7 Mango or iPhone 5" I'm pretty sure what would happen.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
You really shouldn't come to a WP7 fan site and ask that type of question. You won't get unbiased opinions. I'm pretty sure the same thing would happen if you go to androidcentral and ask the same question.

If I got to macrumors and ask, "WP7 Mango or iPhone 5" I'm pretty sure what would happen.

you would get HATE mail instead of an Opinion. our opinions’ might be BIAS but atlases its not HATE mail hehe..

As for the Ice Cream Sandwich every one one is talking about .. all that sais to me is: YAY 700$.. NUM NUM NUM

whats next year?? 800$ on a popsicle? LOL... saturated OS. id rather BY a Mango that will turn into some good TANGO juice. ROLF!

Last edited:

Aeon2k

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site

sent from my desire
If your android device is working ok and you don't need a replacement in the next couple weeks I'd suggest you wait till the Mango phones come out and by then maybe Ice Cream Sandwich is out too.

I agree with 1jaxstate1: this is a WP7 forum so be aware that it's biased.

Meanwhile you should play around with a WP7 device in a shop or better a configured one of some friends to see if you like the concept and the interface of the OS.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

I actually disagree. Most people in this forum, if not all, have used other smart phones, whether they be iPhones or Androids.

It's highly unlikely that anyone in an Android forum or an iPhone forum has even used a WP7.

So opinions in here are based on experience. User A used to have an Android, now they use a WP7...here's why. User B used to have an iPhone, now they use a WP7, here's why. They can compare what they did or didn't like about one over the other. In the Android and iPhone forums it's likely you'll only find users who are loyal to and have only used their phones and will tout their features over WP7's based on speculation, rumor, or guessing.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Part of it to me is, what really interests you based on style? I have used an iPod Touch for years, so I'm very used to the iOS. I thought for years that when I did plunge into the smart phone waters that I would surely get and iPhone. I used Android at kiosks and in stores and never really cared for it. It just felt like a poor iPhone clone that was honestly quite messy. And then on top of that, the bazillions of different hardware options made Android confusing to me. If I was going to go with an icon based OS, it would be iPhone.

But when I saw WP7 for the first time, the OS really hit home and made me want one. I didn't even consider using any of the Windows Mobile iterations, the Kin.

So what OS fits you? Android to me feels messy and scattered, whether right or wrong. WP7 to me is clean, simple, easy. So I went with that one.

All of the other stuff, like apps and customization are just ancillary things, not as important as the OS. With an iPhone I'd have access to a Redbox app. I don't have that in WP7. I miss it, yes, but not enough that the app is a make or break deal for me. I need a phone to call, check email, browse directions, browse the internet. Apps are icing on the cake, but I'll eat cake without icing too.

archer75

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
My android is rock solid, fast, stable. The issues as others have described, cluttered, maybe disjointed, I would agree with. But the number of apps available on android that are not available on WP7 may be a game changer for you.

I am in my 30 day period with my phone and am still researching available apps on WP7 to see if it makes sense to switch. Missing apps like pandora, spotify, dish and tivo could be a game changer for me. That and no one seems to know how to put ebooks on a WP7. But the UI is very nice, more stuff is included and integrated into WP7. But I don't think there's anything I can do on a WP7 device that I can't do on a android. WP7 as an OS is probably the fastest you'll find at the specs it's running at. Very smooth.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3