The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
09-15-2011 04:25 AM
138 12345 ...
tools
    I think that things will change once mango is out from the OEMs too. It's very difficult to push hard when you're selling last year's models with an OS that is underpowered compared to what's just around the corner. And also, it isn't worth their investment just now - why spend a load of cash pushing something then a load more a few weeks later pushing something better? I suspect a lot of them are looking at the mango release as a relaunch opportunity - for example, HTCs events that are taking place tomorrow.

Similarly, Apple don't push the current iPhone hard when it starts getting round to the next iPhone launch time, but they do quietly drop prices and get resellers to do so. This is genius stealth marketing - people get a bargain, and buzz builds up that there's a new product on the way. If MS could copy this, and get OEMs to drop prices on current models simultaneously, it would generate a real buzz. After all, look at what hefty discounts did for Touchpad sales - and that was for a dead-end product on an OS with seemingly no future. Imagine picking up a brand new WP7 handset at 1/2 price knowing that it'll run the much more advanced version of the OS that's out in a few weeks perfectly happily too - how could that NOT help sell the system? Sure, you wouldn't have the newest WP7 phone, but you'd still have something leagues ahead of a dumbphone/Android handset at the same price point and you'd be in the ecosystem. And getting people on board and growing the user base and awareness is the no. 1 priority right now.

Hey, if there's anyone from Microsoft reading this, any time you want to send me that marketing consultancy fee, that'd be great ;)
    08-31-2011 03:46 AM
    My friend did the same thing! He dropped his iPhone in the pool and got a atrix he didnt barely considered wp7 he actually like the atrix tho so he's not switching anytime soon he's actually had quite of few problems too like with all my friends androids my wp7 has only froze up on my like twice if that kinda funny androids are like smartphones with dumbphone qualities lol
    I asked my friend with an LG G2X (running Android) the other day if he's had any problems with it. He said he's on the third one and he's also had to pull the battery out multiple times. It won't update either. I used to respect Android, but all the problems with it just seem a little too excessive.
    08-31-2011 11:50 AM
    right now weve got mango buzz the market share could easily go up 3% in the us will all the willing people to switch to the new hardware and mango, not to mention nokia hardware could easily bring up more market share. with the right marketing wp7 could take off we need to do it at the right time tho we know the next iphone aint gunna be **** but ice cream sand witch is bringing some interesting **** to the table, our Internationale growth is gunna happen with nokia to lead that ppl in Europe loves wp7 and i think japan loves there Fujitsu its already rated above the iphone, i think we just need to focus on these stupid Americans lmao all about there androids and iphones!
    08-31-2011 12:16 PM
    As I get settled into my WP7 device I am very impressed and I was pretty firm on never getting a WP7 device, I just didn't feel like it was going to get traction. Now I am showing it off and telling people to check it out and this is day 2. I have used every type of OS on the market today, Palm OS, BlackBerry, iOS, Android, Symbian and so far I have to say WP7 can stand proud and confident that its entry is a solid one.

People get all hyped up for apple products and its not the products themselves it's the marketing behind them. Lets face it apple plants enough BS marketing leaks to keep the tech journalists (bloggers) frothing at the mouth to report the latest rumors.

I have to say we need to present WP7 to non WP7 users and say check it out. I see WP7 achieving critical mass once the OEM's start producing many different models per carrier, so far Verizon has (1) phone and I would like to see 5, 6 or more phones for WP platform.

Since Google is buying up Motorola will they actually be making any WP devices in the future? Makes you wonder.
    08-31-2011 12:34 PM
    Since Google is buying up Motorola will they actually be making any WP devices in the future? Makes you wonder.
    No, there's no way Motorola will ever make WP7 devices now. But Google buying Motorola could still be good for Windows Phone. Android is no longer a level playing field, so Google's handset partners are probably getting very nervous. They may look to WP7 as an alternative.
    Clow likes this.
    08-31-2011 12:41 PM
    I read an article a few months ago ( I wish I remembered were and who wrote it) but part of the problem was MicroSoft's insistence on putting their name on the phone, lets face it, most people either see MS as bad or old news (I don't but, thats what I see out in the world I live in), the author suggested they should have named the consumer phone something like X-phone, with out featuring the Windows name, much like they did with the X-box. They didn't call it Windows Gaming System 2000, so people didn't think of their desktop OS, so the x-box carried less baggage (real or perceived) into the market.

short of MS re-branding, and marketing more, just keep showing WP7 to your friends and take the heat, being a current Android user (personal phone) and new WP7 (work phone I got to choose)I was swayed by the lone co-worker who wasn't afraid to talk about his WP7 phone with our group, and he took the heat from iOS, android, and Blackberry users, but in the end he increased my awarness ( I was already aware) and moved up my time table to try a windows phone.
    08-31-2011 02:19 PM
    I read an article a few months ago ( I wish I remembered were and who wrote it) but part of the problem was MicroSoft's insistence on putting their name on the phone, lets face it, most people either see MS as bad or old news (I don't but, thats what I see out in the world I live in), the author suggested they should have named the consumer phone something like X-phone, with out featuring the Windows name, much like they did with the X-box. They didn't call it Windows Gaming System 2000, so people didn't think of their desktop OS, so the x-box carried less baggage (real or perceived) into the market.

short of MS re-branding, and marketing more, just keep showing WP7 to your friends and take the heat, being a current Android user (personal phone) and new WP7 (work phone I got to choose)I was swayed by the lone co-worker who wasn't afraid to talk about his WP7 phone with our group, and he took the heat from iOS, android, and Blackberry users, but in the end he increased my awarness ( I was already aware) and moved up my time table to try a windows phone.
    I agree with this. I would have preferred that they called it LiveOS.
    Sparxy19 likes this.
    08-31-2011 02:47 PM
    I think it the advertising, I mean think about it like this: all we know is what was beaten into our heads since we were kids. And kind of the same with android and ios, the majority sees the adverts on tv on a daily basis making them think that's all that is out there. I admit I thought like that for along time until I walked in to an att store and played with the htc surround, I fell in love with it instantly and waited 6 long months for the trrophy to come to vzw and now I couldn't be happier..Anyways the only reason I even knew about it was because I went to the att store to check out an iphone and to my suprise the cs steered me away from it and praised the wp7...Love at first sight! but they need more adverts like something cool like the droid commercials
    08-31-2011 02:58 PM
    Like everyone else mentioned, advertising is the key. Come up with something that people will remember from the commercial, show why this phone is better then the competition in 10sec, instead of windows phone 7(which I don't mind) make it WP7 that's it!. When I go to the clubs and take my DVP phone out, the first thing people think its an android with custom skin. Really?. I got a friend into windows phone but word of mouth can only do so much.....
    08-31-2011 04:34 PM
    I would have preferred that they called it LiveOS.
    Now THAT would have been a great name!
    08-31-2011 10:33 PM
    At the Att store I went to, sales person said WP7 isn't much, and I should wait for the Atrix 2. I then started to drop Mango knowledge on him, and I knew more about WP7 than he did.

Couldn't answer any of my questions (truth be told I set him up to see how clueless he was), and if I hadn't done my research, I would've listened to him.
    09-01-2011 12:45 AM
    I agree that differant name might have been better but then once W8 comes out i suppose MS will want people to relate the phones to there tablets and PC's
    09-01-2011 06:53 AM
    Hi guys, newbie here.

As someone who never follows 'the trend', I found myself very impressed with the WP when it was pitched to me in a phone shop. It was at the time where I was severely annoyed with Apple and enough was enough... it was time to divorce them. My main problem was iTunes and how Apple attempt to monopolise the planet with their locked down products and copyright heavy downloads. I guess it helped that I've always been a happy MS customer, being generally impressed with Windows 7 and my Xbox 360, but even so, the WP stood out on it's own merits.

Having owned my HTC HD7 for around 9 months now, I'm astonished and baffled as to how, generally, people are such lemmings when it comes down to making a personal choice on what phone is best for them! Not one person has turned their nose up at the WP when I've shown them the sleek and easy-to-use interface. Sure, there were some basic things that were missing from the start (copy'n paste, etc), but generally, you could see the potential for this awesome platform.
    TheWeeBear, Reflexx and wolf1891 like this.
    09-01-2011 05:20 PM
    For work we have to choose between an iPhone or blackberry. I don't consider myself a fanboy but I love rocking my Arrive for my personal phone. I have a co worker who is an ifanboy who was giving me a hard time for choosing the iPhone over blackberry. I'm not a big fan of apple but I don't out right hate them.

He's played with my phone for all of 2 seconds and said that he thought it was ok. When I asked him if he couldn't pick and iPhone what would he go with and he said he'd pick a blackberry over a droid (which he hates) and a windows phone.

I was somewhat surprised by his answer considering that he gave props to my phone earlier but is still convinced that blackberry makes a better phone. His reasons were that it was more stable and it started up fast. I told him that my windows phone is very stable and starts up fast and he just blew it off, even though he's seen it and acknowledged how responsive and easy it was to use.

Just didn't make sense to me. I know it's a personal preference and matter of opinion but who'd in their right mind would go to a blackberry from an iPhone instead of a windows phone or android? To me it's like stepping way back.

I'm really not trying to insult blackberry users, it's just that my work phone is a blackberry and it really feels antiquated to me and not very intuitive. But I do like the keyboard. :)
    09-01-2011 08:41 PM
    True, but this is mainly because Nokia has only sold their high-end phones unlocked in the USA. You couldn't get them subsidized through carriers, the way the vast majority prefer to do it in the USA. Heck, the only place I have actually seen an N8 was a non-functioning display model at Fry's. . . on a display separate from the other smartphones and from the cell phone sales people.

Nokia has said that they are taking a US-centric approach this time around. They're going to sell their Windows phones subsidized by carriers. And they and MS supposedly have money set aside for a huge advertising blitz. I really think Nokia's smartphones can be a hit in the USA. The hardware quality is amazing.

MS has a solid, compelling product. All that's missing is marketing. They need to convince people that WP7 is something they should desire. That it's something people choose because they WANT it. They managed to do it with Xbox, they can do it again.
    If Microsoft put's forth the effort with their marketing of WP7 like they marketed Windows 95 they would blow Apple and Android away!! They need a media and marketing blitz to show what the phone/OS can do. Every time your turn on the TV you see an Apple or Android commercial...they need to flood the airwaves, TV and print media with WP7 advertising until folks are sick of hearing and seeing it.
    09-01-2011 09:05 PM
    Honestly, the attitude isn't exactly unwarranted given Microsoft's past failures in the consumer space. Unfair, yes but not unwarranted.

The fact of the matter is that the failures of Playsforsure / Zune / Windows Mobile / Vista / Windows Tablets (pre-windows 8) all skew consumer attitudes negative and it's hard to dig out of that. It'll take time and a lot of effort on Microsoft's part.

At least we saw them reverse the XBOX 360 RROD situation and arguably win this generation's console wars (in large part to their fantastic XBOX Live service) so there is hope
    09-01-2011 10:54 PM
    My Co-Worker tried out my Trophy and really likes the phone, and keeps going on about how his Droid X (with Gingerbread) is a POS, freezes up, slow to respond etc. One thing I actually like about WP7 is the control by MS to keep the UI consistent and set standards which I feel can be a big benefit but also limiting if we don't seem some serious upgrades in hardware. What I am looking for will come along in the next 12-18 months, (not necessarily dual-core) but 4G LTE, better and higher res displays and of course more options than 1 friggin phone on Verizon.
    09-02-2011 12:17 PM
    My Co-Worker tried out my Trophy and really likes the phone, and keeps going on about how his Droid X (with Gingerbread) is a POS, freezes up, slow to respond etc. One thing I actually like about WP7 is the control by MS to keep the UI consistent and set standards which I feel can be a big benefit but also limiting if we don't seem some serious upgrades in hardware. What I am looking for will come along in the next 12-18 months, (not necessarily dual-core) but 4G LTE, better and higher res displays and of course more options than 1 friggin phone on Verizon.
    Currently they can't use higher res displays. MS requires 800x480 so that developers don't have to worry about screen resolution changing on differant handsets like they do on Android.
    09-02-2011 12:40 PM
    I just wish they'd set the bar higher to start so the resolution was more future-proof. The absolute simplest way to handle backwards compatibility with apps is resolution doubling or straight scaling. That's why the iPhone 4 is 960 x 640 - double the old 3G 480 x 320 resolution. And I don't see 1600 x 960 screens coming along for a while yet!
    09-02-2011 03:30 PM
    I just wish they'd set the bar higher to start so the resolution was more future-proof. The absolute simplest way to handle backwards compatibility with apps is resolution doubling or straight scaling. That's why the iPhone 4 is 960 x 640 - double the old 3G 480 x 320 resolution. And I don't see 1600 x 960 screens coming along for a while yet!
    I'm not a devoloper or anything, but would scaling up by 50% be very difficult for backwards compatability, etc? So 1200x720 for next gen phones up from 800x480?

Maybe Windows 8 phones will have higher resolution specs
    09-02-2011 03:51 PM
    No idea - let's hope so!
    09-02-2011 04:19 PM
    The resolution was likely picked because it was high enough to look nice, but not so high that it would need a more powerful gpu to do anything nice looking.

I imagine that the resolution requirement will remain the same until WP8 comes out. And then scaling up apps with the old resolution will likely be taken care of in the OS.
    09-02-2011 04:25 PM
    I'm not a devoloper or anything, but would scaling up by 50% be very difficult for backwards compatability, etc? So 1200x720 for next gen phones up from 800x480?

Maybe Windows 8 phones will have higher resolution specs
    AFAIK that shouldn't be a HUGE problem but there are still issues. All WP7 apps are based on Silverlight or XNA (and with Mango they can use elements of each).

Silverlight is vector-based, so its UI should scale perfectly well to any resolution. The only problem is bitmap images used for UI elements or whatever. They would probably look crappy unless the app includes multiple versions of all its bitmapped images.

XNA is designed so that you can render the graphics at a different resolution than what they're displayed at. MS actually encourages developers to use a lower resolution and let it be scaled up automatically if it's necessary for performance. Unfortunately, a lot of games are running at 800x480 native. Meaning that they would actually look worse on a higher-res screen. The only real solution would be for many games to be re-programmed to function at multiple resolutions.

I'm sure Microsoft is agonizing whether to bite the bullet and fragment WP7 in order to support higher resolutions. I kind of hope they don't fragment it. One of WP7's biggest strengths is its total lack of fragmentation. It makes it nice and easy to develop for. 800x480 is perfectly fine IMO. I've seen e.g. the Evo and the Evo 3D side-by-side, and I'm not convinced the extra resolution makes that big of a difference.
    09-02-2011 04:49 PM
    Hopefully this will help

EDIT: see next post
    Last edited by Sparxy19; 09-02-2011 at 08:47 PM.
    09-02-2011 07:03 PM
    09-02-2011 08:15 PM
138 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD