The Attitude Of Others Towards WP

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
On engadget right now (sadly a popular and influential but anti-MS site) there are articles on a motorola pro+, samsung galaxy s II, xiaomi, samsung epic 4g, samsung conquer, huawei honor android phones. And thats just today! Absolutely nothing about WP7, and this is a huge part of the problem. We are supposedly just weeks (at most 8) away from Mango releases, already have seen the Fujitsu launch yet the slience from MS and their partners is deafening. No teasers, promos, from anyone of the WP7 partners? Anyone reading that site wont even know WP7 exists, how are they supposed to want to buy it?

well thast not 100% true lol i got my FOCUS after reading all the reviews on ENgaget. but yeah they could talk more about it.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't expect most of the MS partners to make much of an effort until after Nokia does. The others are kind of just sticking their toe in the water to see if it's warm.

Sparxy19

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
But thats just it. Its a Domino effect, if websites dont have anything about them, then people wont know about them which will often lead to people thinking they must be crap. Hopefully when the Mango phones come out most of the tech sites do reveiws on them so that they can get a bit more awareness. When i baught my android phone in Febuary i didnt even know that WP7 was an option. If you go on any tech website there will be Android phones being advertised every where, all down the sides of the pages and in between articles and yet you never see a WP being advertised. Nokia has to lead the way with advertising and prove to the other handset makers that if you put in a little bit of effort then you can make HEAPS of money from making and selling good WP hardware.

jimmy1one

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
This is exactly my point. When people SEE WP7 they like it. But when there is no advertising to make them aware of it, how can they form any opinion of it? You are able to influence maybe a 100 people, effective advertising will influence MILLIONS. By choice or not, the lack of advertising for WP7 is not helping.

no kidding Steveg ,

would of been my staff that said that to you . i would of walked onto the flore and FIRED the REP right in front of you and apologized to you.

who says that? ** we laugh in there face* ..seriously .... i use to push WM ALLOT when I was just a front line REP . but when people said I want IPHONE i want ANDROID i want WEBOS ect... ... **** i sold them a freaking Android or an Iphone or w/e... ( after i showed them my WM obviously )

long story short ... does are not good sell reps. and it sucks to see our OS suffer because of incompetence. Hardware, apps, lack of features , ok!!! but because of a stupid rep.. not acceptable.
I have to agree with you on this point but it begs the question, what kind of ninny would make a major purchase on the word of a store rep. Maybe I'm just ole tyme but Geez Louise what has happened to common sense? I remember when buying Apple was the thing for people who think outside the box. The IPhone was the thing because it was so far ahead. Anyone who can read knows that's no longer the issue. I know a couple of people with 32g Sammy Focus and IPhone 4. The Focus is better IMHO and has IPhone 4 beat according the Wow factor. It not a matter of if the WP can compete any longer, adding the Xbox gaming Extras will stir things up come holiday season. Hey guys I'm just a consumer I got the Focus because of the features and my preference for Samsung Products. I'm more concerned about the ability or lack thereof regarding developer access to the API when it comes the Speech engine voice to text and text to voice. I want to truly interface and real multitasking. Advertising well I mean MS does have an AD department?

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I definitely think it's all down to marketing. Right now none of the OEMs really have anything to gain by pushing WP7. They might as well just stick with Android and avoid the $15/device license they have to pay for WP7. I certainly can't blame them.

The only way WP7 will get ahead is when people start asking for it. And it's up to MS's marketing to convince people they want it.

It'll be a breath of fresh air when Nokia finally gets into the WP7 game. They're the only ones who will be pushing WP7 on ALL their devices. They'll be putting out flagship phones with WP7 and marketing them like crazy. They won't be treating WP7 as an afterthought like the other OEMs.

And Nokia is very big on marketing. Look at Tron Legacy and Transformers 3 for a couple recent examples.

DontHate707

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
My friend did the same thing! He dropped his iPhone in the pool and got a atrix he didnt barely considered wp7 he actually like the atrix tho so he's not switching anytime soon he's actually had quite of few problems too like with all my friends androids my wp7 has only froze up on my like twice if that kinda funny androids are like smartphones with dumbphone qualities lol

DontHate707

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Some tech sites are doing wp7 news not really the huge like popular ones but the ones techies know about wp7 isn't hated my websites like pocketnow

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Geez Louise what has happened to common sense?

Dead mate, stone cold dead! :) As for the speech API, it will be coming: TellMe Powered Speech API Coming To Windows Phone Developers | WMPoweruser

I definitely think it's all down to marketing. Right now none of the OEMs really have anything to gain by pushing WP7. They might as well just stick with Android and avoid the $15/device license they have to pay for WP7. I certainly can't blame them.

The only way WP7 will get ahead is when people start asking for it. And it's up to MS's marketing to convince people they want it.

It'll be a breath of fresh air when Nokia finally gets into the WP7 game. They're the only ones who will be pushing WP7 on ALL their devices. They'll be putting out flagship phones with WP7 and marketing them like crazy. They won't be treating WP7 as an afterthought like the other OEMs.

And Nokia is very big on marketing. Look at Tron Legacy and Transformers 3 for a couple recent examples.

Well said! But OEM's like htc and samsung ARE paying the licence fee, so one wonders why are they wasting their time and money by not pushing WP7 and getting a return for that investment?

Sparxy19

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Some tech sites are doing wp7 news not really the huge like popular ones but the ones techies know about wp7 isn't hated my websites like pocketnow

Yer i quite like pocketnow but i mainly just use wpcentral to keep up with all the WP news.

I just wish people would give WP a bit more of chance, as soon as they use it they will realise just how good it is.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I think word of mouth and more devices will help the OS thrive. Blogs already rave about the potential of Mango updates. Once they release that and the newer devices, it'll be a different story.

And all fanboys are nutcases.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I think that things will change once mango is out from the OEMs too. It's very difficult to push hard when you're selling last year's models with an OS that is underpowered compared to what's just around the corner. And also, it isn't worth their investment just now - why spend a load of cash pushing something then a load more a few weeks later pushing something better? I suspect a lot of them are looking at the mango release as a relaunch opportunity - for example, HTCs events that are taking place tomorrow.

Similarly, Apple don't push the current iPhone hard when it starts getting round to the next iPhone launch time, but they do quietly drop prices and get resellers to do so. This is genius stealth marketing - people get a bargain, and buzz builds up that there's a new product on the way. If MS could copy this, and get OEMs to drop prices on current models simultaneously, it would generate a real buzz. After all, look at what hefty discounts did for Touchpad sales - and that was for a dead-end product on an OS with seemingly no future. Imagine picking up a brand new WP7 handset at 1/2 price knowing that it'll run the much more advanced version of the OS that's out in a few weeks perfectly happily too - how could that NOT help sell the system? Sure, you wouldn't have the newest WP7 phone, but you'd still have something leagues ahead of a dumbphone/Android handset at the same price point and you'd be in the ecosystem. And getting people on board and growing the user base and awareness is the no. 1 priority right now.

Hey, if there's anyone from Microsoft reading this, any time you want to send me that marketing consultancy fee, that'd be great ;)

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
My friend did the same thing! He dropped his iPhone in the pool and got a atrix he didnt barely considered wp7 he actually like the atrix tho so he's not switching anytime soon he's actually had quite of few problems too like with all my friends androids my wp7 has only froze up on my like twice if that kinda funny androids are like smartphones with dumbphone qualities lol

I asked my friend with an LG G2X (running Android) the other day if he's had any problems with it. He said he's on the third one and he's also had to pull the battery out multiple times. It won't update either. I used to respect Android, but all the problems with it just seem a little too excessive.

DontHate707

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
right now weve got mango buzz the market share could easily go up 3% in the us will all the willing people to switch to the new hardware and mango, not to mention nokia hardware could easily bring up more market share. with the right marketing wp7 could take off we need to do it at the right time tho we know the next iphone aint gunna be **** but ice cream sand witch is bringing some interesting **** to the table, our Internationale growth is gunna happen with nokia to lead that ppl in Europe loves wp7 and i think japan loves there Fujitsu its already rated above the iphone, i think we just need to focus on these stupid Americans lmao all about there androids and iphones!

Raptor007

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
As I get settled into my WP7 device I am very impressed and I was pretty firm on never getting a WP7 device, I just didn't feel like it was going to get traction. Now I am showing it off and telling people to check it out and this is day 2. I have used every type of OS on the market today, Palm OS, BlackBerry, iOS, Android, Symbian and so far I have to say WP7 can stand proud and confident that its entry is a solid one.

People get all hyped up for apple products and its not the products themselves it's the marketing behind them. Lets face it apple plants enough BS marketing leaks to keep the tech journalists (bloggers) frothing at the mouth to report the latest rumors.

I have to say we need to present WP7 to non WP7 users and say check it out. I see WP7 achieving critical mass once the OEM's start producing many different models per carrier, so far Verizon has (1) phone and I would like to see 5, 6 or more phones for WP platform.

Since Google is buying up Motorola will they actually be making any WP devices in the future? Makes you wonder.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Since Google is buying up Motorola will they actually be making any WP devices in the future? Makes you wonder.

No, there's no way Motorola will ever make WP7 devices now. But Google buying Motorola could still be good for Windows Phone. Android is no longer a level playing field, so Google's handset partners are probably getting very nervous. They may look to WP7 as an alternative.

Reactions: ikkf

dmenglert

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I read an article a few months ago ( I wish I remembered were and who wrote it) but part of the problem was MicroSoft's insistence on putting their name on the phone, lets face it, most people either see MS as bad or old news (I don't but, thats what I see out in the world I live in), the author suggested they should have named the consumer phone something like X-phone, with out featuring the Windows name, much like they did with the X-box. They didn't call it Windows Gaming System 2000, so people didn't think of their desktop OS, so the x-box carried less baggage (real or perceived) into the market.

short of MS re-branding, and marketing more, just keep showing WP7 to your friends and take the heat, being a current Android user (personal phone) and new WP7 (work phone I got to choose)I was swayed by the lone co-worker who wasn't afraid to talk about his WP7 phone with our group, and he took the heat from iOS, android, and Blackberry users, but in the end he increased my awarness ( I was already aware) and moved up my time table to try a windows phone.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I read an article a few months ago ( I wish I remembered were and who wrote it) but part of the problem was MicroSoft's insistence on putting their name on the phone, lets face it, most people either see MS as bad or old news (I don't but, thats what I see out in the world I live in), the author suggested they should have named the consumer phone something like X-phone, with out featuring the Windows name, much like they did with the X-box. They didn't call it Windows Gaming System 2000, so people didn't think of their desktop OS, so the x-box carried less baggage (real or perceived) into the market.

short of MS re-branding, and marketing more, just keep showing WP7 to your friends and take the heat, being a current Android user (personal phone) and new WP7 (work phone I got to choose)I was swayed by the lone co-worker who wasn't afraid to talk about his WP7 phone with our group, and he took the heat from iOS, android, and Blackberry users, but in the end he increased my awarness ( I was already aware) and moved up my time table to try a windows phone.

I agree with this. I would have preferred that they called it LiveOS.

Clow

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
I think it the advertising, I mean think about it like this: all we know is what was beaten into our heads since we were kids. And kind of the same with android and ios, the majority sees the adverts on tv on a daily basis making them think that's all that is out there. I admit I thought like that for along time until I walked in to an att store and played with the htc surround, I fell in love with it instantly and waited 6 long months for the trrophy to come to vzw and now I couldn't be happier..Anyways the only reason I even knew about it was because I went to the att store to check out an iphone and to my suprise the cs steered me away from it and praised the wp7...Love at first sight! but they need more adverts like something cool like the droid commercials

DrSaiko

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Like everyone else mentioned, advertising is the key. Come up with something that people will remember from the commercial, show why this phone is better then the competition in 10sec, instead of windows phone 7(which I don't mind) make it WP7 that's it!. When I go to the clubs and take my DVP phone out, the first thing people think its an android with custom skin. Really?. I got a friend into windows phone but word of mouth can only do so much.....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05