The Attitude Of Others Towards WP

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
sounds to me like ur trying to compare what we have today to what MS had back in the early 90's? i mean c'mon, technology wasnt nearly what it is today... what was better than win 2000 at that current time? nothing! of course things were mediocre , so were all cell phones and anything electronic! tv's were still tubes, we still listened to mediocre sound on cassettes! again keep it real. MS has always been a leader in its industry. people that give them a bad rep usually have no reason to other than they dont like them.

where was apple back in the 90's ??? do you remember those old things ? who used them over windows? not me...

Well yeah, that's precisely what I'm doing because that's where bad reputations come from - bad past experiences. If everyone started afresh tomorrow on a level playing field with no baggage, I'd say phones-wise, Apple and WP7 would be no. 1 and Android second because it's more fiddly.

But it's because of history that MS has a hurdle, so you can't really ignore the past. And it's precisely because Apple and Google don't have that history with most people that they don't have the same issues. No one looking for a smartphone today is going to have ever had a blue screen of death incident in the past because of using Google, or had an xbox RROD because Apple rushed a product to market. That's the sort of baggage I'm talking about that can sway a purchasing decision - and that's before salespeople pushing Android or iOS.

And in case I'm giving the wrong impression here, I really do hope MS get past it as their products and the way they approach things have improved immensely. WP7 deserves greater exposure. But at the same time it's people much like me who are the ones who need convincing - people who've had a crappy ride in the past. I ended up using WP7 almost by accident, but now wouldn't swap it, and I'm the only guy in my group of friends who uses it (most are on Android). I certainly wouldn't have been lured to WP7 by MS's advertising so far, so I think they really need to get evangelists out there letting people try it and letting the OS speak for itself. Adverts (good or bad) only go so far - what they need is to build really solid grassroots support.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
You know... after reading all this and seeing comments about "when mango comes out it will be better..."... the problem isnt with the phone or advertizing.

There is a big problem with the retail stores. Verizon and ATT are without a doubt doing everything they can to steer people away from WP.

I've seen it first hand and just try to get a trophy in averison store here. I've told my friends to go online a purchase.

Livett

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
(first post!)

I currently work for a market research company in the UK and are starting an intensive Windows Phone 7 study for Microsoft across all the top carriers and stores in the UK, US, FR and DE.

I would say expect to start seeing more and more Microsoft marketing being pushed everywhere (particularly the store sales people) at the end of this year going in to 2012.

I don't know if this is around already but UK staff start "Mango Training" middle to end September.

Reactions: ikkf

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
(first post!)

I currently work for a market research company in the UK and are starting an intensive Windows Phone 7 study for Microsoft across all the top carriers and stores in the UK, US, FR and DE.

I would say expect to start seeing more and more Microsoft marketing being pushed everywhere (particularly the store sales people) at the end of this year going in to 2012.

I don't know if this is around already but UK staff start "Mango Training" middle to end September.

yyeah MS said they would INVEST ALOTE more cash into Marketing for MANGO ... and they also talked about this in a article how MS was pushing HTC or getting together with THC to add more marketing for the phones...

what sad is the HTC commercial ( brilliantly quite * YOU AND YOU AND YOU!! im sure you know what im talking about ... well they haven?t added WP in that yet!!! it still mostly 100% android.

i think we will start seeing mroe probly Mid october mid November to do a Q4 HOLIDAY Campain

jkercado

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft needs to hire a real marketing company and invest some serious money in a campaign that's actually good. They also should put WP7 units in the hands of famous people. Let the nerdblogs catch, I dunno, whoever is a relevant celebrity nowadays, tinkering with their WP7 unit.

Show people how they work. Stage demonstrations in stores. My personal experience is that people don't know zilch about WP7, but once they try it, they love it. My 14 year-old son has an iPhone 3G, my wife a Sony Xperia X10 (Android). Both fell in love with WP7 on my Focus and want to swap.

That's what turned me in to WP7 (have five coworkers with WP7 units!). I think that's the best way to convince people.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Microsoft needs to hire a real marketing company and invest some serious money in a campaign that's actually good. They also should put WP7 units in the hands of famous people. Let the nerdblogs catch, I dunno, whoever is a relevant celebrity nowadays, tinkering with their WP7 unit.

Show people how they work. Stage demonstrations in stores. My personal experience is that people don't know zilch about WP7, but once they try it, they love it. My 14 year-old son has an iPhone 3G, my wife a Sony Xperia X10 (Android). Both fell in love with WP7 on my Focus and want to swap.

That's what turned me in to WP7 (have five coworkers with WP7 units!). I think that's the best way to convince people.

First of all MS does have a real marketing company.

Second , they already stated that they are going to INVEST allot more in advertising for Q4!!! so starting next month.

third: they already put WP7 in celebrity?s hands ( basket ball players , Actors, news reporters , ect.... )

and FORTH! lol MS already said a couple weeks ago on how they are starting a training Campaign for Store REPS , they are actually hiring right now for a MS rep.

long story short , every thing you wanted MS to do, MS is already working on it!!

jkercado

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
First of all MS does have a real marketing company.

Second , they already stated that they are going to INVEST allot more in advertising for Q4!!! so starting next month.

third: they already put WP7 in celebrity?s hands ( basket ball players , Actors, news reporters , ect.... )

and FORTH! lol MS already said a couple weeks ago on how they are starting a training Campaign for Store REPS , they are actually hiring right now for a MS rep.

long story short , every thing you wanted MS to do, MS is already working on it!!

I'm glad about that. Seriously, it's sad that so many people are missing out on such a nice mobile OS.

boss.king

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
First post on this forum. I'm an iPhone (3GS) user looking for a new device and I have to say WP7 is really overlooked a lot when it shouldn't be. I'm leaning heavily towards getting the Titan when it ships.

Speaking from what I've seen in the iOS community, it's not that people dislike WP7, it's that it doesn't have the same vast app store and userbase as Android and iOS (which is completely expected from a relatively new contender in the market). Hopefully this will change though, WP7 is looking very strong and with a little more support from developers and users I feel it could become a serious contender for the number one smartphone OS.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm a webOS user and thinking about what to do when I get to a point where I need a new phone. With the future of webOS on shaky ground, I've been looking hard at other OS's. For some reason WP7 seems to be attracting my attention over iOS & Android. It's funny but my wife and a couple of friends are confused and wondering why I would even consider WP7. My wife asks if I remember all the constant restarts and problems we had with WP and I keep having to remind her that it wasn't WP7, but rather 5 that we had all the issues with (email and restarts). I don't have any experience with WP7 except for the little I've messed with it at a store, but is seems like a solid OS. I really don't know what ammo to use when defending the OS?

Anyhow, just thought I'd share my experience with close-minded people and WP7.

Edit: FYI, I want to say it was a Treo 850w with WP5.x that the wife & I had all the problems with. Edit 2, sorry, it was a Treo 800w with WM6.1.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Last edited:

JAStark27

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm a webOS user and thinking about what to do when I get to a point where I need a new phone. With the future of webOS on shaky ground, I've been looking hard at other OS's. For some reason WP7 seems to be attracting my attention over iOS & Android. It's funny but my wife and a couple of friends are confused and wondering why I would even consider WP7. My wife asks if I remember all the constant restarts and problems we had with WP and I keep having to remind her that it wasn't WP7, but rather 5 that we had all the issues with (email and restarts). I don't have any experience with WP7 except for the little I've messed with it at a store, but is seems like a solid OS. I really don't know what ammo to use when defending the OS?

Edit: FYI, I want to say it was a Treo 850w with WP5.x that the wife & I had all the problems with.

Never ever have I had a restart. I think I have turned off my phone once and that wasnt cause of anything with the phone just I wanted to see how long it took to do so. No lag, nothing. They do a very good job of getting all the bugs out before they release it. Its a very very very solid os with some great features that other os people and sales reps have overlooked. Yes it needs more apps but give it a chance and time and this os will have in my opinion the best gaming platform if for nothing else because of the xbox integration. Just wait till they integrate it with kinect games. **** there even porting the kinectimals game over to the os. which for kids or anyone really that could be a cool little game.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site

Edit: FYI, I want to say it was a Treo 850w with WP5.x that the wife & I had all the problems with. Edit 2, sorry, it was a Treo 800w with WM6.1.

AMMO? lol love it

well first think, your wife had a Windows mobile 6.1 not Windows Phone , heheh
its a completly new OS , cant even compare it to WM. only thing they have in common is MS.

also WP7 will have (if they dont already have ) the best Eco system ( pc+wp+tablet+xbox)
witch is not much now but we have HIGHT hopes for Mango and tango/Apollo..

id considering ti be a more advance OS then Ios and Android ( if you?ve notice android and Ios have pretty much been the same for the last 4 years ) adding 10-20 features ...

WP been out 1 year and we have 500+ coming in mango..... MS seems to put allot more effort then Apple and Google into dev the actual OS ( not talking about apps and hardware)

With that said I think we already have a much better quality OS then Android and soon to past IOS..

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I think what interests me the most about WP7 is the Mango app switching (similar to webOS cards) and XBox Live integration. The integration with Windows 8 could be icing on the cake.

I must admit that I don't use my XBox much these days, in fact I use my PS3 more... Well, I should clarify, the PS3 plays movies only, no gaming love from me.

Anyhow, looking forward to GOW3 next week! I wonder if there is any chance of a WP7 version of GOW??? BTW, for what it's worth, my gamertag is Sinime and my wife's is Ryooohki.

Edit: Oh, and I just fixed my Zune 30 GB about a month ago. HD went bad from 1 to many drops.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
yyeah MS said they would INVEST ALOTE more cash into Marketing for MANGO ... and they also talked about this in a article how MS was pushing HTC or getting together with THC to add more marketing for the phones...

what sad is the HTC commercial ( brilliantly quite * YOU AND YOU AND YOU!! im sure you know what im talking about ... well they haven?t added WP in that yet!!! it still mostly 100% android.

i think we will start seeing mroe probly Mid october mid November to do a Q4 HOLIDAY Campain

THC? brilliantly quite? lol, its quietly brilliant and HTC... i think someone is smoking some THC

hahaha

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
To be honest, I'm actually disappointed by the xbox live integration- because it isn't really *that* integrated. Ok, so I have my avatar on my phone, and I can collect gamer points and have chats with xbox live buddies. But I can chat with them anyway (hey, it's a phone!), the avatar isn't that interesting - it's just a 3D caricature, and I really couldn't care less about gamerscore. It's all just fringe stuff.

Integrated to me would be exclusive companion games that have a direct effect on linked xbox titles - like playing prequels or side stories that unlock weapons and stages in the main game. Or having an xbox game send you emails or texts with hints/background direct if it knows you have a WP7 phone. Or something genuinely value-adding, like any WP7 owner getting xbox live gold for free - or at least a discount (I have an xbox and a PS3, and never use the 360 for online gaming because it's free on the PS3. It's a no brainer). I really hope this is one area where there's a lot more to come. At the moment, it's not really that huge a selling point unless you obsess over achievements.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Integrated to me would be exclusive companion games that have a direct effect on linked xbox titles - like playing prequels or side stories that unlock weapons and stages in the main game. Or having an xbox game send you emails or texts with hints/background direct if it knows you have a WP7 phone. Or something genuinely value-adding, like any WP7 owner getting xbox live gold for free - or at least a discount (I have an xbox and a PS3, and never use the 360 for online gaming because it's free on the PS3. It's a no brainer). I really hope this is one area where there's a lot more to come. At the moment, it's not really that huge a selling point unless you obsess over achievements.

There are a few games like that. Fable Coin Golf, Full House Poker, and Crackdown all interact with their 360 counterparts. I hope they'll take it much further, though.

kylej1050

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
It's funny but my wife and a couple of friends are confused and wondering why I would even consider WP7. My wife asks if I remember all the constant restarts and problems we had with WP and I keep having to remind her that it wasn't WP7, but rather 5 that we had all the issues with (email and restarts).

Ouch, that's like comparing Windows 7 to Windows 95... and not OSR2 with USB support. lol

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Yep, but as I said earlier, that's what MS has to get past - bad experiences with its previous offerings. And unfortunately, a lot of people have had them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786