Transitioned webOS owner to WP7......

cabbonizio

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
In light of recent communications from HP and with my ailing Sprint Palm Pre from 2+ years ago, I decided to go the WP7 route and got my hands on the HTC Arrive. To say the least......ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! I saw a thread recently that asked members their "ahhhh...." moment, which made me laugh since I had quite a few of them as I made my way through this wonderfully crafted mobile operating system. I really didn't know what I was getting into, but using it for about a week, this was the phone I was always looking for. I have Mango installed with my company outlook email, facebook, twitter, gmail, xbox live account all brought together to have one excellent contact management system. webOS was really good at this for a long time, but others have caught up and WP7 does it so nicely. Not to mention Facebook chat!

I try to think of the features I miss most about webOS, and the only thing that comes to mind is the multitasking/gesture area functionality. It was done pretty nicely on Mango and it's really no big deal having to hold the back button for a second, but I do miss the gesture area on my Palm Pre. To be honest, I won't miss it that much the more I use this phone. I really can go on and on about how awesome this phone is, and some of it can just be the shock value of starting fresh with a new piece of hardware/software after years of waiting and waiting for Sprint to get a new webOS model. I do own a Touchpad and get a lot of use out of it, so I can get my taste of webOS there while I enjoy the elegance and performance of my new HTC Arrive. I was just starting to get into Enyo development for the Touchpad, and then the news hit, so I while I still keep that in my back pocket I will learn how to develop WP7 apps.

Judging from the webOS community on Precentral, I gather there's a very similar crowd here at WPCentral based on the threads I've been reading. It's nice to be part of both communities now since they're both supporting fantastic (and I think THE best) mobile operating systems out there, but without being at the top of the market with the likes of Android and iOS. I live in the greater Philadelphia area and may have met a few people who owned a webOS phone as sad as that is. I can definitely say I met maybe one person who had a phone running WP7 during it's lifetime, and now that I own one, it's crazy I haven't seen more.

Well again just another webOS guy porting over to WP7, so wanted to introduce myself to the forums and look forward to using this amazing phone and jumping into these discussions!

Jake_M

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Hey me too. :) I love my Arrive. No offense to WP7 but I'd prefer a Pre 3 or something but that's not happening.

It's a fantastic platform.

cabbonizio

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Hey me too. :) I love my Arrive. No offense to WP7 but I'd prefer a Pre 3 or something but that's not happening.

It's a fantastic platform.

I was definitely ready to get a Pre 3 on Sprint, but like you said...it ain't happening! I would have never gone to WP7 if this were the case, but the more I think about it I waited long enough for a new phone and after all the B.S. and false promises with Palm/HP, I said time to move on. I see your from South Carolina...haha, I'm a PA boy marrying a SC girl next weekend....should I be worried?????

Jake_M

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I was definitely ready to get a Pre 3 on Sprint, but like you said...it ain't happening! I would have never gone to WP7 if this were the case, but the more I think about it I waited long enough for a new phone and after all the B.S. and false promises with Palm/HP, I said time to move on. I see your from South Carolina...haha, I'm a PA boy marrying a SC girl next weekend....should I be worried?????

She's probably okay...avoid family reunions with her. lol

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Glad to see more webOS fans joining up. WP7 users and webOS users have something in common: they stick with the underdog because it's superior to the more popular OSes. It's no wonder we're seeing so many "refugees" here!

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

jonnyg

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Another refugee

Yeah we know what we like and we stick with it.... far too long than we should.... :D

I found today, PreCentral had 2 new articles, WPCentral had 1 1/2pages..... Im glad I moved on :D

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
This kind of reminds me of that one web contest about a year ago. Where some place was pitting all of the mobile OSes against each other.

And it ended up being webOS vs WP7 at the end. With webOS taking the victory.

It just goes to show how dedicated the communities are.

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site

Does she have an Android phone...? If so... run... run very fast

cabbonizio

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Does she have an Android phone...? If so... run... run very fast

Haha, I'm trying to get her a new phone but she claims she doesn't care about technology even though she's always messing around on my phone and Touchpad. That's all I need in my house.....WP7, Android, webOS, and a bitter southern girl!

cabbonizio

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
This kind of reminds me of that one web contest about a year ago. Where some place was pitting all of the mobile OSes against each other.

And it ended up being webOS vs WP7 at the end. With webOS taking the victory.

It just goes to show how dedicated the communities are.

I remember this contest and it always came down to WP7 vs. webOS. There's was actually a few of them and WP7 might have won the second. It was pretty funny to watch iPhone and Android, and Blackberry get knocked out of the first round. I took those contests with a grain of salt, but it was interesting the same two OS's make it to the end....that might say at least a little something. You're right though...precentral and wpcentral are great communities.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro