11-26-2011 07:25 PM
32 12
tools
    I don't know if this has been mentioned, but on Any Phone with ActiveSync that isn't an Android device, you should set up Google as an Exchange account. They have supported that for years now.

And GMail works as good as can be expected. It's not flawless like on their own Platform, but that's to be expected. Their Labels system isn't exactly friendly to the average email client... and it can wreck performance in some if used as an IMAP account because some mail clients download multiple copies of emails that have multiple labels on them to different folders.
    11-22-2011 09:52 PM
    Has anyone else had trouble searching Gmail in WP7? For example, when I am looking for an email and it is older than is synced on the phone, i click on the 'search google mail' option but it always says it can't connect?

any ideas? Does it work or not work for you?
    11-23-2011 05:14 PM
    I don't know if this has been mentioned, but on Any Phone with ActiveSync that isn't an Android device, you should set up Google as an Exchange account. They have supported that for years now.

And GMail works as good as can be expected. It's not flawless like on their own Platform, but that's to be expected. Their Labels system isn't exactly friendly to the average email client... and it can wreck performance in some if used as an IMAP account because some mail clients download multiple copies of emails that have multiple labels on them to different folders.
    Are you saying that I should add gmail to my phone as a "non-native-google" setup separate from my google account setup (thus using my google account on my phone specifically for calendar and contacts only)? If so, does that allow emails to be deleted?
    11-23-2011 09:39 PM
    Are you saying that I should add gmail to my phone as a "non-native-google" setup separate from my google account setup (thus using my google account on my phone specifically for calendar and contacts only)? If so, does that allow emails to be deleted?
    You can run the entire Google account as Exchange, but there is a trick to activating secondary calendars to sync over EAS. You should be able to find the instructions with a Google search. If not, reply here and I'll try to help. (Works brilliantly on webOS, but I ended up running just the calendar as Exchange and the rest as IMAP due to a couple nit-picky issues.)
    11-23-2011 11:24 PM
    Has anyone else had trouble searching Gmail in WP7? For example, when I am looking for an email and it is older than is synced on the phone, i click on the 'search google mail' option but it always says it can't connect?

any ideas? Does it work or not work for you?
    Gmail does not support server search. Neither does Windows Live, IIRC, so if it works there I'm not sure how Microsoft is doing it...
    11-24-2011 02:34 AM
    Yes. As an Exchange account. The same way you the Windows Live Account is set up. That way it will Sync Email, Calendar (Primary only, IIRC) and Contacts to the phone via PUSH (or manual if you want to set it up that way) over the air...
    11-24-2011 02:36 AM
    Yes. As an Exchange account. The same way you the Windows Live Account is set up. That way it will Sync Email, Calendar (Primary only, IIRC) and Contacts to the phone via PUSH (or manual if you want to set it up that way) over the air...
    So once I do that, deleting emails on my phone will delete them instead of archiving them? Any special settings in gmail (IMAP settings or something) I need to adjust as well?
    11-26-2011 07:25 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD