How well does WP7 play with Gmail?

MichaelBanning

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
I decided to do some research into why GMail does it this way and I found out that they recently added some options for IMAP.

I went to settings -> Forwarding and POP/IMAP. I set Auto-Expunge to off, which then allowed me to set "When a message is marked as deleted and expunged from the last visible IMAP folder:" to "Move the message to Trash".

The result? Now when I delete a message from the inbox on my phone it moves into the Trash on GMail. BUT BE CAREFUL, when I delete a message from another folder, it completely disappears from GMail and does not get sent to the Trash.

Still, I think it's an improvement. It's nice that Google now gives us the option. Now if MS can show the Trash and allow proper starring I'd be completely happy.

One note: I'm still not sure what setting Auto-Expunge to off actually does. But it seems you have to do it to change the other option. I'll report back if I find anything new.

Does this still work for you post-mango update? It appears changes have been made to the way gmail works with WP7.

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
A little bit off-topic, but I see no way to Forward an e-mail in WP7. Is it not possible, or am I missing something?

MickeyCeeCT

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
A little bit off-topic, but I see no way to Forward an e-mail in WP7. Is it not possible, or am I missing something?

When you open an email message, on the bottom you will see 4 icons....2 arrows, one trash can and on the far left is the icon you are looking for. If you push on it you will see "reply", "reply all" and "forward" as options.

WPGenius

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had any issues with my Gmail account at all, I love the way it's setup actually, quick and easy, Very efficient...

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but on Any Phone with ActiveSync that isn't an Android device, you should set up Google as an Exchange account. They have supported that for years now.

And GMail works as good as can be expected. It's not flawless like on their own Platform, but that's to be expected. Their Labels system isn't exactly friendly to the average email client... and it can wreck performance in some if used as an IMAP account because some mail clients download multiple copies of emails that have multiple labels on them to different folders.

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone else had trouble searching Gmail in WP7? For example, when I am looking for an email and it is older than is synced on the phone, i click on the 'search google mail' option but it always says it can't connect?

any ideas? Does it work or not work for you?

MichaelBanning

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but on Any Phone with ActiveSync that isn't an Android device, you should set up Google as an Exchange account. They have supported that for years now.

And GMail works as good as can be expected. It's not flawless like on their own Platform, but that's to be expected. Their Labels system isn't exactly friendly to the average email client... and it can wreck performance in some if used as an IMAP account because some mail clients download multiple copies of emails that have multiple labels on them to different folders.

Are you saying that I should add gmail to my phone as a "non-native-google" setup separate from my google account setup (thus using my google account on my phone specifically for calendar and contacts only)? If so, does that allow emails to be deleted?

ght

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
Are you saying that I should add gmail to my phone as a "non-native-google" setup separate from my google account setup (thus using my google account on my phone specifically for calendar and contacts only)? If so, does that allow emails to be deleted?

You can run the entire Google account as Exchange, but there is a trick to activating secondary calendars to sync over EAS. You should be able to find the instructions with a Google search. If not, reply here and I'll try to help. (Works brilliantly on webOS, but I ended up running just the calendar as Exchange and the rest as IMAP due to a couple nit-picky issues.)

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone else had trouble searching Gmail in WP7? For example, when I am looking for an email and it is older than is synced on the phone, i click on the 'search google mail' option but it always says it can't connect?

any ideas? Does it work or not work for you?

Gmail does not support server search. Neither does Windows Live, IIRC, so if it works there I'm not sure how Microsoft is doing it...

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

Yes. As an Exchange account. The same way you the Windows Live Account is set up. That way it will Sync Email, Calendar (Primary only, IIRC) and Contacts to the phone via PUSH (or manual if you want to set it up that way) over the air...

MichaelBanning

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
Yes. As an Exchange account. The same way you the Windows Live Account is set up. That way it will Sync Email, Calendar (Primary only, IIRC) and Contacts to the phone via PUSH (or manual if you want to set it up that way) over the air...

So once I do that, deleting emails on my phone will delete them instead of archiving them? Any special settings in gmail (IMAP settings or something) I need to adjust as well?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven