Are Apps over rated?

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
M2C

WP needs developers. < I said Period MS will build in to the OS to make it a viable alternative to other OS's while attempting to leave a large enough hole for developers to fill so that developers can be profitable. This is true of all the successful OS's so don?t play to much in to what is missing from any OS these holes were left for a reason. WP will continue to evolve and things will be added but things will be left out as well. Microsoft could give us a complete platform that fills all the holes that would not allow for development (symbian) that will not allow the OS to grow. If any platform does not allow for developers to developed and be profitable then the OS will stagnate and lose users. If you want app?s go get them if you don?t then don?t but don?t expect Microsoft, Google, Apple or anyone else to build a system so complete that apps aren?t needed.

:ninja: Dave

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
If you break down what you really want your personal assistant to do why are we reinventing the wheel with all these app that have proven alternatives on the full blown OS?

I always refer to Androids as the "Handyman's Special" because they come as limited shells and they really NEED to be fleshed out with third party apps to be run optimally. That said, third party apps are limited in what APIs they have access to. Third party apps are often less stable and not as ingrained into the OS as the built in apps.

For instance, when my wife switched from her BlackBerry to her Android (I know, I know, but she was young and WP7 wasn't around then!), one of the things she liked about her BB was that you could set custom sound profiles and set them to switch during certain hours, called "bedside mode". Android only had three sound profiles - Normal, Vibrate, and Silent. She found a third party app that would let her sort of create a custom sound profile, but Androids APIs only allowed for the changing of sounds for ALL emails, or ALL messages, and ALL other sounds. BB allowed for much more variations.

That's just one example, but it shows how preferable it is to have a richer built in app environment than to have a stripped down model that relies on thrid party apps too much. (And by the way, MS, if you are listening, look in BB's bedside mode and customized sound profiles. WP7's options in that area are woefully inadequate as well.)

jimmy1one

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
M2C

WP needs developers. < I said Period MS will build in to the OS to make it a viable alternative to other OS's while attempting to leave a large enough hole for developers to fill so that developers can be profitable. This is true of all the successful OS's so don’t play to much in to what is missing from any OS these holes were left for a reason. WP will continue to evolve and things will be added but things will be left out as well. Microsoft could give us a complete platform that fills all the holes that would not allow for development (symbian) that will not allow the OS to grow. If any platform does not allow for developers to developed and be profitable then the OS will stagnate and lose users. If you want app’s go get them if you don’t then don’t but don’t expect Microsoft, Google, Apple or anyone else to build a system so complete that apps aren’t needed.

:ninja: Dave
I'm thinking I've still missed the mark. As Reflexx has stated apps have a place it is a question what that place is not where it is. Big D you say there is a reason thing are left out, pray tell?
If you want to know what an apps place is in the long run it wll be calling full fledged programs from the OS which will be synched via the WP or Metro clear as mud by taking a look at Windows 8. Want to see Metro look at your home screen on WP7. I'm not saying it will look exactly the same but essentially Metro is Windows 8. If you agree that's true hard to see how anyone would not then Take a look at the text below. If you want to know what time it is do you buy a watch or a clock factory?

"The GALAXY Note’s advanced pen input functionality is combined with the full touch screen to create a new input experience. The incorporated digital S Pen can be used for accurate sketching and artwork, and instantly capturing ideas freely before they float away.
The GALAXY Note features S Memo, a multimedia application designed to record all forms of user-created content. Pictures, voice recordings, typed text, handwritten notes or drawings can all be captured via a single application and converted to a ‘memo’, to be edited, annotated and shared as desired.

A one-step screen-capture function also allows users to instantly capture any screen; captured images can also be freely and accurately annotated using the S Pen before being filed or shared.

The S Pen functionality has been deeply integrated into the GALAXY Note’s native applications to provide a richer interactive experience. Users will benefit from increased accuracy and control when editing or personalizing captured videos or photographs; and users will be able to draw and send handwritten images and notes via text message, email, and Samsung’s ChatON communication service."

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I'd agree that Apps are slightly overrated. I utilize a few apps daily such as stocks, weather, news, ebay, things of that nature, but I see some people that are playing a game on their phone during every second of down time they have...

I got over apps within the first 3 months I had my iPhone, and just wanted a few essentials, and a GOOD phone. Eventually everybody moves up on the hierarchy of smartphone needs, and progresses beyond wanting apps for everything, and then desires quality software with reliable hardware.

The "lack" of apps on platforms like Wp7 and Blackberry is just a weak argument made by iOS/Android fanboys that want to bash every other OS that isn't their own.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Sharksandwich you and Dizzymaker seem to have grasped my question so let me refine it a little more. Would you guys at this point, knowing what you know, go out and buy a stand alone GPS system? Would you take your Desktop on vacation to have access to your DVD collection. Or how about paying for a browser or email program. MY answer is no to all three questions, a no brainer's no brainer. If you break down what you really want your personal assistant to do why are we reinventing the wheel with all these app that have proven alternatives on the full blown OS?

Definitely wouldn't buy a stand-alone GPS, web browser, or email client. I'm not a big fan of watching movies on a phone though, so I still have plenty of entertainment value in my 17 inch laptop. (Although we're probably less than 5 years away from being able to store dozens of 1080p movies on your phone, and play them back on an HDTV through the HDMI out. . . or even stream them from the cloud).

Back in the day, you had to buy or otherwise obtain software such as: a TCP/IP networking stack, web browser, storage drivers, winzip, video/music player, CD burning software, etc etc. Nowadays, the idea of an OS without that stuff built-in is completely archaic. Every OS is constantly adding new functionality with each release, and rendering many 3rd party applications obsolete as a result.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Eh not overrated because my phone feels incomplete with Zune's services not letting my Windows Live ID sign into Zune. First day and I wish I could've loaded this puppy up lol

But comparing how many apps an OS has over the other is overrated and old

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Apps are just another name for programs.

The OS keeps growing to be able to tend to general purpose needs. Especially if those needs are things that aren't something that people have any opinion about. People don't care how you connect to WiFi as long as it connects.

There will always be a need for programs to address things that aren't general and universal needs.

UVSoaked

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I would say the app-hype is a bit too much, but they do add on to the OS in a big way.

if you like apps get an Iphone ( IOS = app launcher )

if you want reliable and easy to use = WP7 ( most stable OS )

Actually, one of the reasons I got a Windows Phone was because I wasn't just because of apps, but apps using the beautiful metro UI. Well... I was interested in apps, but apps using the metro UI is a huge plus in my opinion. ;)

Birdsong (Twitter), 4th & Mayor (Foursquare), Pageonce (financing), etc. just makes the experience that much better using them when they incorporate the metro UI and do it well.

kismayaz

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
QFT

if you like apps get an Iphone ( IOS = app launcher )

if you want reliable and easy to use = WP7 ( most stable OS )

if you want customization get an Android... ( most Custom ROMS and UI )

if you want to do E-mails + BBM get a Blackbery.... ( only true push )

if you want a OS that doesnt Update , get WEBOS ( LOL sorry i had to add it )

what the H*LL is symbian? (seriously .. huh? lol . )

that

xpxp2002

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I've been saying apps are overrated since the now-iOS App Store opened. And it's true now more than ever. I would watch as people impressed by simplistic functionality provided by apps, while that same functionality has been available elsewhere for years. My favorite are the social networking apps. Why do we need a Facebook or Twitter app? What is wrong with using a mobile site? Why should I have to install and run code that, in most cases, is just a wrapper for a mobile HTML5 site anyway? It's a waste. Just give me a URL and I'll bookmark it. It's that simple.

I understand that there are apps that utilize hardware and OS APIs, and for those I make an exception. But these basic apps that bundle a mobile website into an "app" are pointless.

MicrosoftNorthstar

May 17, 2011
Visit site
There are some things for which you absolutely need an app, such as a way of tracking your running/walking/biking via GPS pedometer. Until HTML5 is predominant, we will need media apps such as LazyTube/EasyTube, Netflix, Hulu, and Vevo. In terms of streaming audio/radio, we need apps for those so they can take advantage of things like the playback controls that you wouldn't be able to do with HTML5 browser. Those are just some of the examples I can think of right now.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Apps are the life blood of all smart phones! No top notch devs making top notch apps. You'll be going the way of WebOS.

If you don't think apps are important. Just get a Nokia feature phone and be done with it. LOL@ Apps being overrated.

jimmy1one

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Apps are the life blood of all smart phones! No top notch devs making top notch apps. You'll be going the way of WebOS.

If you don't think apps are important. Just get a Nokia feature phone and be done with it. LOL@ Apps being overrated.
Quite interesting when you consider No One has stated any smartphone does not need apps. IMHO I do not seem to remember seeing a smartphone without apps? It's a matter of quality as opposed to quantity, form and substance but never let the truth influence your opinion. Making a purchase decision based on the number of app is IMHO ill informed and that's being kind for the following reasons, see if you can follow along. There are some implementations of programming that can be performed better by manufactures, some better by the ISP and some if implemented directly by the OS. Why are there so many apps whose purpose has already been accomplished by standard programs? If you agree Metro integration is a step toward a completed ecosystem. If you can not agree this is is true then a conversation regarding apps will be fruitless. BTW I've had this dance before with the BEOS great OS destroyed by a bunch of ninnies.:ninja:

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Who cares. Your opinion means nothing. Quality over quantity. Well, IOS and Andriod has both. If quantity means nothing, why does MS release a statement whenever they reach an app "milestone". Microsoft, apple, and google will all have complete ecosystems. It's just a matter of what fits ones taste.
Quite interesting when you consider No One has stated any smartphone does not need apps. IMHO I do not seem to remember seeing a smartphone without apps? It's a matter of quality as opposed to quantity, form and substance but never let the truth influence your opinion. Making a purchase decision based on the number of app is IMHO ill informed and that's being kind for the following reasons, see if you can follow along. There are some implementations of programming that can be performed better by manufactures, some better by the ISP and some if implemented directly by the OS. Why are there so many apps whose purpose has already been accomplished by standard programs? If you agree Metro integration is a step toward a completed ecosystem. If you can not agree this is is true then a conversation regarding apps will be fruitless. BTW I've had this dance before with the BEOS great OS destroyed by a bunch of ninnies.:ninja:
If you want a phone, go get it. No one cares what you think will make or not make a platform.
BTW, I've never met you, but you seem like a big douche. *wink and the gun*

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
The simple truth is that apps are overrated but necessary to a degree. Good mobile sites lessen the need for dedicated apps, but most people don't know that you can pin mobile sites to use as apps, not do they know just what apps are available, yet these are the people who fall into the trap of thinking that you have to have hundreds of thousands of apps to have a viable platform.

Personally, I'm beyond sick of the app craze. With some exception, I hate jumping out of the browser or out of one of the other core Windows Phone experiences and into an app. The apps I do use have a real value to me, and find myself going back and uninstalling apps I don't use, even of they were paid for. It just clutters up the phone.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

jimmy1one

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Who cares. Your opinion means nothing. Quality over quantity. Well, IOS and Andriod has both. If quantity means nothing, why does MS release a statement whenever they reach an app "milestone". Microsoft, apple, and google will all have complete ecosystems. It's just a matter of what fits ones taste.

If you want a phone, go get it. No one cares what you think will make or not make a platform.
BTW, I've never met you, but you seem like a big douche. *wink and the gun*

Whoa trolls pay dues guy strong words :lol: Just goes to show you how things get turned around I though all of this was opinion even your posts. Considering those of us who've had some experience worthless is about as reasonable as saying Google is going to have a complete ecosystem. Hard to see how Google can be considered on a path to an ecosystem looking at what's available under their flag. There should be some sense of propriety in both the content and context of your posts. More importantly have a little respect for yourself or at least consider the accuracy of what's being posted under your name:p

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm loving what MS have done with the apps in Mango (integration). Having this means each app is actually improving the OS, thus, giving a better experience. The way apps interact on Nodo, and in other OS's, they can useful, but you have to go out of your way to access them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720