Intel dropping MeeGo for WP7?

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
http://m.techcrunch.com/2011/09/02/...go-development-temporarily/?icid=tc_home_art&

Looks like Intel is stopping development on MeeGo and switching to Android and/or WP7. This could be great news for WP7. Intel's current Atom chips are basically useless for smartphones, but their future Atom roadmap will be incredibly powerful. Intel is putting Atom on the fast track, so future Atom designs will be made by their most advanced fabs. And nobody even comes close to Intel's fab tech.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Forgot to add, since WP7 uses all managed code based on .NET, there should be no compatibility issues whatsoever. I really hope this happens. Intel's future Atom chips will likely far outclass anything the ARM manufacturers can put out.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm not surprised by this. MeeGo wasn't going anywhere and the latest software builds were... lets just say rough. Once Nokia dropped out it was only a matter of time.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I think they see that without a complete ecosystem to support it, MeeGo further development would be a waste of time. Intel isn't a software company.

I do know that that have big plans to compete against ARM technology. Heck, they're throwing i3 processors into tablets right now.

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
They can use win8, why would they limit themselves to wp7...? If they can get win7 to run on a crummy 1.6ghz netbook then I'm sure they can get win8 on something small like a tablet or slate. If they make a phone processor and it's any good it will probably get ported to android too... Intel isn't going to make their own phones or make their processors OS specific. That would seem dumb.

-AcE

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Windows 8 is being made with tablets in mind. And Intel is making sure that they won't be left out.

As for Intel not making their chips for a specific OS... Of course that's true. But the thread was addressing how Intel is not doing further software development on MeeGo. Intel was working with Nokia in developing MeeGo.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Oh man. . . a Nokia Windows Phone with a next-gen Atom CPU inside would be amazing.

But anyway, AFAIK it's up to the SOC (system on a chip) vendor to write all the drivers and such for it. A SOC is a lot more than just a CPU. It's CPU, GPU, memory controller, radios, various I/O controllers, ADC, etc. So there is a considerable amount of work that would need to be done to get WP7 up and running on it.

Same goes for Android. Intel has been working for a while to get Android running on Atom. Supposedly the Android x86 version is a mess, which might be why they're looking to WP7.

jimmy1one

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Windows 8 is being made with tablets in mind. And Intel is making sure that they won't be left out.

As for Intel not making their chips for a specific OS... Of course that's true. But the thread was addressing how Intel is not doing further software development on MeeGo. Intel was working with Nokia in developing MeeGo.
Interesting idea I'm just not sure I understand what you mean by "with tablets in mind." IMU Windows 8 will run on tablets and Metro will synergize the ecosystem but the touch function will extend throughout all devices that run windows. Surely this would appear to be true examining all available info at this time. It appears MS eggs have been firmly placed in the Metro ie touch basket. I'm one of those people who believes the tablet is the bridge between the phone and desktop. I can not envision a scenario that will allow all 5 platforms to survive when you include the netbook and laptop:excl:

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. I see the netbook going the way of the dodo.

And I think the tablet and laptop will come together. (which is already happening)

In a few years, the only laptops without detachable screens may be the huge ones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte