Facebook "integration" is not

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm wondering if anyone else is starting to feel the way I am about the Facebook "integration" on WP7. Don't get me wrong, I love the phone, but the privacy issue is really starting to bug me and ruin the Facebook experience. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, Facebook allows its users to control, very specifically, what information is available to 3rd party apps, such as status updates, location check-in, pictures, online status, etc. Generally this is a good thing, since it means that some random game can't have access to my info. Unfortunately for us, both Windows Phone and Windows Live are classified as 3rd parties, so when someone blocks all sharing to 3rd parties, we see nothing-- no status updates, no pictures, and no Facebook chat, since that is through Windows Live. Here is more info:

Troubleshooting Facebook issues related to privacy on Windows Phone

It's to the point where a good 50% of my Facebook feed is not visible via the people hub. And, as people become more wary of information sharing and tighten their privacy settings, it will only get worse. As far as I can see there is no solution, other than bugging Facebook to somehow allow Microsoft products to be seen as 1st party. I don't think that will ever happen though. I guess I just had to vent a bit.

-R

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Wow, 50% of your Facebook friends block all 3rd party apps? I don't think 98% of my FB friends even know you can do that.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. I pretty much have to use the Facebook app because of this.

It would be nice if when the Facebook app is updated for Mango, they actually link it with the people tile. So the info in the tile actually pulls the data through the app.

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
When the Facebook app is updated for Mango, if you use it a lot, it probably won't be so bad since one of the gripes with the app is the load time is way longer than the people hub, but, with the quick resume and the possibility of a background service, it should load much faster.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure your close friends won't mind fixing their privacy settings if you ask them to. Luckily for me I've only got one friend who I can't see on the People Hub that I'm friends with, and I'm not really super close to that person.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
The main thing I don't like about the People hub versus actual facebook is that I swear they have two completely different streams. At no point could you compare my FB feed to the stuff in People and see the same stuff. Plus, I have blocked the heck out of games updates on Facebook, and I still get all that crap in the People hub. I wish it would display exactly what my feed displays when I log in on a computer.

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Convert your friends to Twitter. lol

I never even realised this was an issue. I dont think any of my friends block 3rd party apps.

astroXP

Jul 1, 2011
twitter.com
Wow, I hadn't realized this - I did have tightened my privacy but just changed it so my WP friend don't have any problems!

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I for one do not even have a facebook account, so I personally find all the time wasted my the WP7 dev team working on integration annoying! heh

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster