Samsung ditching WP7....

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Dissapointing if true, but we do have the rumour of the refreshed Omnia 7 with Mango and front facing camera, so they don't seem to be dissappearing overnight.

I'm sure there will be plenty of WP7 handsets to chose from by the time Samsung depart if in fact this rumour is true.

As long as I can still get a Super Amoled screen don't think I would be too bothered who makes it.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, they say by 2012 they will be concentrating more on their Badu OS? So we'll get atleast one or two more Samsung phone. I've never heard of Badu OS. Seems as if these major Software companies buying hardware manufactures is have a unexpected effect.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Well if that's true then I don't see WP7 succeeding, The focus is by far the best selling WP7 device in here.
I don't think WP7 depends solely on Samsung for it's sucess.

If Samsung disappeared overnight i'd simply chose an HTC Titan or some other WP7 handset i liked.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't care who makes the phone. As long as MS shows they are going to support the OS. I'm good. Nokia, Samsung, HTC, my uncle larry. makes no difference.

Reactions: ikkf

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Does your uncle Larry make 4.7 inch Super Amoled handsets 1jaxstate1 ? Could you suggest that to him ? ;)

Same casing as the Omnia 7 would suit me perfectly. :)

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
My response from the other thread:

Bummer, that's really bad news. Samsung makes some great smartphone hardware. It's a shame they will be moving away from WP7.

Honestly though I'm not too worried. I've always thought that Nokia will be the real star of the WP7 show. They're IMO the best smartphone hardware manufacturer out there. More importantly, at this point, they're also the ONLY ones who have a real interest in seeing WP7 succeed. The other OEMs are just testing the waters to see if they can make a few extra bucks from WP7 on the side while they get all their real sales from Android.

I also think this greatly increases the chances of MS buying Nokia altogether. The way I see it, MS's strategy has been this:

Plan A: license the OS to 3rd-party manufacturers. Get all the smartphone manufacturers competing against one another, cranking out low-margin hardware with WP7 on it. Rake in the lions share of the profit through OS licenses and by funneling people towards MS's online services. (The PC/Android model)

Plan B: buy Nokia and build the hardware themselves. Possibly even buy RIM if the price is right. Create a vertically-integrated smartphone business where they own the hardware, the OS, the ecosystem, and even the store where the products are sold. It's a risky plan, but the potential profits are far higher than Plan A. (AKA the Apple model, which has made them the most valuable company in the world.)

Not coincidentally, Google took a huge step towards the Apple model when they bought Motorola. Samsung already has their own OS (Bada) and you can bet they want some Apple-like profits for themselves. I think it's very possible that the Apple model is the only business model that can be viable in the long-term -- and I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I should add, it's also possible that HTC could see this as a good opportunity for them. They now potentially have a much bigger piece of the WP7 market.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I hoping MS does their own hardware, or just buy Nokia. I give the Nokia fans ****, but that just for fun (but that leads to DM from Big D5 saying knock it off :)). I've been playing with a few Android phones, and a iPod touch over the last few days, And I must say. WP7 OS is just better. I'm not a ****** at all. I can't see myself leaving WP in the next two years. I
My response from the other thread:

Bummer, that's really bad news. Samsung makes some great smartphone hardware. It's a shame they will be moving away from WP7.

Honestly though I'm not too worried. I've always thought that Nokia will be the real star of the WP7 show. They're IMO the best smartphone hardware manufacturer out there. More importantly, at this point, they're also the ONLY ones who have a real interest in seeing WP7 succeed. The other OEMs are just testing the waters to see if they can make a few extra bucks from WP7 on the side while they get all their real sales from Android.

I also think this greatly increases the chances of MS buying Nokia altogether. The way I see it, MS's strategy has been this:

Plan A: license the OS to 3rd-party manufacturers. Get all the smartphone manufacturers competing against one another, cranking out low-margin hardware with WP7 on it. Rake in the lions share of the profit through OS licenses and by funneling people towards MS's online services. (The PC/Android model)

Plan B: buy Nokia and build the hardware themselves. Possibly even buy RIM if the price is right. Create a vertically-integrated smartphone business where they own the hardware, the OS, the ecosystem, and even the store where the products are sold. It's a risky plan, but the potential profits are far higher than Plan A. (AKA the Apple model, which has made them the most valuable company in the world.)

Not coincidentally, Google took a huge step towards the Apple model when they bought Motorola. Samsung already has their own OS (Bada) and you can bet they want some Apple-like profits for themselves. I think it's very possible that the Apple model is the only business model that can be viable in the long-term -- and I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I say BY BY I have never been a big SamSung fan. I'm still waiting on them to fix all the problems with the Intrepid I keep it in a drawer just in case... lol

P.S. This is just a rumor I wouldn't believe it till you read it here.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I hoping MS does their own hardware, or just buy Nokia. I give the Nokia fans ****, but that just for fun (but that leads to DM from Big D5 saying knock it off :)). I've been playing with a few Android phones, and a iPod touch over the last few days, And I must say. WP7 OS is just better. I'm not a ****** at all. I can't see myself leaving WP in the next two years. I

Yeah, people seem to forget that Nokia were the world's #1 smartphone seller up until earlier this year. They only recently fell behind Apple and Samsung because a) they completely botched the US market and b) they were stuck on their aging Symbian OS while iOS and Android blew right past them.

Now that they have a great OS, a real US strategy, and backing from MS, I really think they can be a force to be reckoned with.

I know you're mad at Nokia for ditching MeeGo, but hey, at least they didn't switch to freaking Android!

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Sucks if it's true. I just started liking their phones too.

Looks like garbage. I doubt Samsung would ever put all their eggs in the Bada basket. "In July 2010, Samsung Apps had 300 applications to offer, 70% of them being free. Samsung expected to have 7000 applications in its application store by the end of 2010. It did not achieve this aim and had around 3000 applications at the end of the first quarter of 2011" -Bada wiki

fernandez21

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Never been a fan of samsung anything, so it won't effect my purchases, but I realize other people like their phones and this is a disappointment in that regard. But its still 1 1/2 years away and if by then WP7 could be a big success at which case they could easily change their tune.

I like though that it is planned two years in the future and not over night, hear that HP?!?!?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
As I've always said, MS put their mobile life in the hands of android OEM's. At the end of the day Samsung only cares about $$$, so with the hardware issues they've had with updates and other reported issues from Euro users, licensing fees for WP7, relative low sales compared to their cash cow android, and bada being their own OS and therefore cost-free, it wouldnt surprise me. The signs were there, from their WP7-less IFA event to the absence of a WP7 client for their chat service.

What MS needs to do though is wake up and realise that apart from Nokia, they cant rely on a single one of the current WP7 OEM's and really look hard at whether that is the right route to go with WP7.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Money talks. If/When WP7 hits big then Samsung will continue making phones.

However, if this is true, then that means that Samsung is getting ready for the eventual hardware/software war. The big players have already paired off.

Microsoft/Nokia
Apple/Apple
Google/Motorola
RIM/RIM
HP/Web.... :(

Samsung knows the hardware manufacturers are going to get preferred treatment and probably wants to position their Bada OS to eventually compete with with big boys so they're not left out in the cold. However, I would have to question their decision to add yet another OS into a crowded market.

Then again, Samsung makes massive bank so they can do whatever they want, lol.

Samsung Quietly Continues To Conquer The World | TechCrunch