Impact of not having Adobe Flash

ikkf

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
The only time I miss it is when I can't see lolcat videos. :unsure: I love cats. I love every kind of cat. I just want to hug all them, but I can't... can't hug every cat. :(

funny-pictures-cat-packs-you-some-hairs-for-your-trip.jpg

ryude

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Even on mango we still dont have a full desktop browser experience, which is a shame because there are a lot of functions that I need to use that I can't.

Dark Mirage

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I personally don't care about Flash. Almost all major websites these days have a mobile version, which you should be using anyways so you don't rip through your data.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It's a bit annoying not being able to watch non-Youtube embedded videos. Honestly though I don't miss it that much. It's nice to not have any Flash-based ads. Plus Flash runs like crap on Android phones anyway.

cookiemonster21x

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Agree with everything mentioned about the 'benefits' of not having Flash (no flash ads, no battery drain, overall better web browsing experience). Also, if it?s a major concern for you, there are a bunch of seriously (seriously!) awesome YouTube apps available for WP7, which are far better than just having the mobile site (oh, and we do now have the YouTube HTML5 site too).

And I do hope the world does move away from Flash to HTML5 eventually (it?s starting to..), but in the mean time it is a bit annoying for me personally to not have Flash on my phone:

I avidly follow music blogs and almost every site I follow uses these little embedded flash players for streaming audio as well as videos from a number of non-YouTube sources. So for me it does bug me, but definitely not enough for me to ever even remotely consider moving to android?

Also, there are plenty of third party apps that let you enjoy other 'flashy' sites like VEVO, Vimeo, SoundClound, and probably many more, with others sure to keep coming? Plus, I may or may not be working towards some apps to bring such sites to our platform in a cool and ultra metro way (in case that's a deal-breaker for you).

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I do miss Flash, but I understand why it's not supported. Heck, even Adobe is offering Adobe Edge for HTML development now. So they see the writing on the wall.

I mainly miss Flash on multimedia themed websites or when there are embedded videos that aren't YouTube.

BORIStheBLADE

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
you can have a full web browser ,that has nothing to do with FLASH

Setting --> Applications --> Internet Explorer --> Desktop Vershion ( default sets it to Mobile vershion)

Not exactly. I have tried both ways and still not a full web browser. I have used a Iphone and Android and " Desktop " browser is not a regular browser..

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I don't really care for Flash on the desktop anymore; it seems a bit silly to try and pare it down for mobile. I don't miss it much on Windows Phone. It's too early to say that HTML5 totally bests Flash but Adobe's fighting a losing battle against it, particularly in mobile, and they know it.

Which ones? I am very curious about that.
You can't upload files such as pictures via file upload dialogs for instance.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Not exactly. I have tried both ways and still not a full web browser. I have used a Iphone and Android and " Desktop " browser is not a regular browser..

well when i comapre it to my PC it looks the same...... its missing NONE youtube vids doh and useless adds that just slow down your phone.... aside from that... whats missing???

BORIStheBLADE

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
well when i comapre it to my PC it looks the same...... its missing NONE youtube vids doh and useless adds that just slow down your phone.... aside from that... whats missing???

When I do a google search it comes up with a regular web page. When you click on the link you want it directs you to a page that was formatted for mobile by google. Then when you scroll to the bottom of the page you can click on a link to view page directly. Pretty annoying.. Ok.. So maybe its NOT the actual phone, but the way google is seeing it..

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I only miss flash the one or two times a month I go to a linked video on my phone's web browser and it says.."you need to install...." that's about the only time.

corinthos

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I want flash just as long as it gives you the ability to turn it off. I wouldn't leave it on all the time but there are some good games on kongregate.com that were for mobile that I used to play on my android all the time. Also some videos and websites that I want to visit.

ryude

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Which ones? I am very curious about that.

If I try to view MyPay, it won't work. I am guessing it's a javascript problem. Many websites don't align correctly, or don't work the way they should. Not having flash is one thing, but not being able to use websites is another.

Probably 90% of websites work fine, but it's the 10% that don't that are related to my job (Air Force).

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
You kidding right?
Engadet, for one, is a site that's 50/50 on mobile/full. I use to have the same problem with BGR.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers