Anyone else excited for the mango rumor?

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
why is everyone getting excited for this release? yes, it will probably be released tomorrow, but that is only for people who have a Dell Venue Pro, correct? it's just the same as Android, in that the carriers must release it for, say, the HTC Arrive or HTC Trophy.

I just don't understand why people are getting excited. Does this mean the Mango beta ROMs will be updated or something?

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Any phone purchased will update to Mango. Not everyone gets their phones from a phone carrier. :)

You can buy any of the phones outright say from the likes of Amazon.

The majority do of course get them from carriers. :)

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Any phone purchased will update to Mango. Not everyone gets their phones from a phone carrier. :)

You can buy any of the phones outright say from the likes of Amazon.

The majority do of course get them from carriers. :)

sorry, I guess I meant the release date only applies for people with unbranded phones (phones that are not on carriers.....similar to how the Nexus S receives updates first above all phones because it is a Google phone, not a Sprint phone).

people who bought their phones from carriers will have to wait like 1 or 2 months longer, correct?

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Well in theory it shoudln't be long until carriers have their Mango updates out too, after all they have had the finished mango for a while now, so here's hoping.

I've had Mango, and now back again with NoDo, i'm still excited even though I won't get it tomorrow, but that's just me. LOL :)

I get your point about tomorrow though, loads of users probably think it's for everyone tomorrow.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Well in theory it shoudln't be long until carriers have their Mango updates out too, after all they have had the finished mango for a while now, so here's hoping.

I've had Mango, and now back again with NoDo, i'm still excited even though I won't get it tomorrow, but that's just me. LOL :)

I get your point about tomorrow though, loads of users probably think it's for everyone tomorrow.

I wish I could believe that, but I've been down this road with carriers (Sprint in my case) before and I don't expect to see it anytime soon. I have pretty much put it out of my head and will be waiting for updated ROMS that might be released outside the carrier instead, considering how all the carriers are riding the Android rollercoaster right now....

This is main reason I switched from Android to WP, and now I'm on the edge of looking towards iOS because of this if it releases for Sprint. I don't see why Microsoft wimped out and gave in to carriers when it came to updates....

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Well everyone will just have to play the waiting game as usual, time will tell who the stinky carriers and the on the ball carriers are LOL. :)

We might be pleasantly surprised at how they roll out Mango this time as we know the carriers have had it for a while. (Fingers Crossed) ;)

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
I wish I could believe that, but I've been down this road with carriers (Sprint in my case) before and I don't expect to see it anytime soon. I have pretty much put it out of my head and will be waiting for updated ROMS that might be released outside the carrier instead, considering how all the carriers are riding the Android rollercoaster right now....

This is main reason I switched from Android to WP, and now I'm on the edge of looking towards iOS because of this if it releases for Sprint. I don't see why Microsoft wimped out and gave in to carriers when it came to updates....
When did Sprint delay a WP update? Arrives come with NoDo and that one little update that happened after NoDo was quick and easy, so I'm not sure what your deal is...

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I spoke with my carrier (O2) and they said they have no control over Mango's release. The guy said he also owns a WP and wanted to know the release date himself!

Last edited:

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I can thoroughly recommend debranding. No hanging about for carriers to get their act together, and you get a "cleaner" phone. Plus unlocked AND unbranded phones always re-sell for more come upgrade time...

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
When did Sprint delay a WP update? Arrives come with NoDo and that one little update that happened after NoDo was quick and easy, so I'm not sure what your deal is...

I don't have a deal....thanks. I never said Sprint has delayed a WP update...I said they've done it for Android devices (which are selling a lot more, at least on Sprint). Theoretically, I was saying that if they delay releases for their bread-winning OS that their "stepchild" OS (WP7 in this case) will most definitely get delayed for a while.

7392 was probably so minor that it didn't even require anything more than a day or so of testing from Sprint's end because it only dealt with security issues regarding Internet Explorer certificates, which probably had nothing that would "harm" Sprint's precious "carrier features".

Mango, however, is an entirely different beast, as it is an entire OS upgrade that WILL effect Sprint's stuff.

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
I don't have a deal....thanks. I never said Sprint has delayed a WP update...I said they've done it for Android devices (which are selling a lot more, at least on Sprint). Theoretically, I was saying that if they delay releases for their bread-winning OS that their "stepchild" OS (WP7 in this case) will most definitely get delayed for a while.

7392 was probably so minor that it didn't even require anything more than a day or so of testing from Sprint's end because it only dealt with security issues regarding Internet Explorer certificates, which probably had nothing that would "harm" Sprint's precious "carrier features".

Mango, however, is an entirely different beast, as it is an entire OS upgrade that WILL effect Sprint's stuff.
Actually, you do have a deal. You've been burned by Android and, now, you're super skeptical that the same is going to happen with Windows Phone; not unlike someone who was in an abusive relationship.

There's a big difference between Android and WP though. With Android, neither the carriers nor the OEMs have an obligation to Google or anyone to update, let alone test updates, for Android devices. MS and others ragged on Android's fragmentation for a reason. With WP, I'm pretty sure allowing OEMs and carriers to test updates is more of a sign of good faith (vs Apple who I guess just pushes out updates whether or not there might be something wrong with them). If an OEM or carrier doesn't test within a certain time, the update will go out. If an OEM or carrier delays an update, I'm pretty sure they have to provide valid reasoning and keep in contact with MS to help work out any issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes