Beside Mode?

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
What do you do when you go to bed? So far I've just been putting the phone into Airplane Mode, but that also disables text messages. Any kind of Beside Mode I'm missing here or will this issue be addressed in the Mango update?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I hard to search for "beside mode" which led me to "bedside mode". I had never heard of it; sounds rather handy.

I keep mine on vibrate almost all the time, and that's enough for me.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
bedside mode??? blackberry? lol really .. thats kidna cool .... its liek a save settings... for your settings lol.....

the only bed side app i know of is the Table clock that drains your battery for 8iish hours whille you sleep lol

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Last edited by a moderator:

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Even when I had my Black Berry Bold 9000, I never used it. Just set the phone to silent. In WP7, you can activate Battery Saver mode, and "Windows Phone Mango will disable push email, background applications and wi-fi networks automatically. text messages and phone features will still work."

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I've actually used that clock app before though. LOL! Kinda useless until the new HTC phones come out that have docks.
bedside mode??? blackberry? lol really .. thats kidna cool .... its liek a save settings... for your settings lol.....

the only bed side app i know of is the Table clock that drains your battery for 8iish hours whille you sleep lol

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
If you tap the volume button then tap the little bell it will turn off all the ringers and event tones but will still allow the alarm clock to sound.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
In WP7, you can activate Battery Saver mode, and "Windows Phone Mango will disable push email, background applications and wi-fi networks automatically. text messages and phone features will still work."

That sounds pretty neat. On my droid I had a profile app that would let me set different profiles for sleep, work or whatever and it was a widget so when I went to bed I would set it to sleep. This turned off all notifications but would allow the phone to ring and the alarm to sound. That sure beat going into my settings and turning of wifi and cellular data.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
yeah, sorry I was using Beside Mode as a generic term. On my Pre Plus, I set my phone profile to "Bed" so that e-mails didn't ring through, reduced the ringer volume for calls and texts and my alarm rang. I'm glad to see this will be available in Mango.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Even when I had my Black Berry Bold 9000, I never used it. Just set the phone to silent. In WP7, you can activate Battery Saver mode, and "Windows Phone Mango will disable push email, background applications and wi-fi networks automatically. text messages and phone features will still work."
Battery Saver only kicks in when the battery is at a certain level; I think 20%.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I drop the brightness to low and turn everything to vibrate. And it's doing that, and flipping wifi/3G on and off when I leave the house/come back that make me realise the thing I miss most from my jailbroken iPhone 4 on a usability basis is SBSettings.

Man, WP7 could do with some toogle shortcuts.

Tobyus

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Bedside mode is one of the nice things I miss about my Blackberry Bold 9000. I had the charging cradle that you just dropped the phone in and it immediately would switch to the Clock displaying, dim the screen to about 20 or 30% brightness, and mute e-mails and all other notifications except the phone and the alarm. Of course, I've gotten used to the way WP7 works and I just plug it in at night and set it to silent mode. The alarm still works, and I don't really need a clock running all night. I do miss that charging cradle, but I still love my Windows Phone for its reliability, speed, and graphics.

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Bedside Mode on my BlackBerry is the one of the main things I'll miss about it. I set up a custom sound profile (another thing I'll miss about my BB!) so that it didn't vibrate or ring or even light the LED for anything except a phone call. Then I set Bedside Mode up so that when my BB was plugged in it's cradle, it would switch to clock mode, and determine if if was later than the time I designated for Bedside Mode to kick in. If it was, it would turn off the backlight to the keyboard, dim the screen, and switch it to my custom Phone Only sound profile. The next morning, when I take it off of the cradle, it will revert back to its Normal Mode.

It did this automatically so I am never awakened by a text in the middle of the night when I forget to turn off the sounds and I never have to worry about missing an emergency call by turning all the sounds off or the radio off. Never too bright because the screen and keyboard can dim. And when I travel, I ALWAYS have my familiar alarm clock with me.

I know it's a small thing, but I am DYING for WP7 to get something like it. My wife's WP7 phone goes off a few nights a month when a late night text comes in but her mother had a stroke one night and she can't turn her phone off at night, just in case. I don't know if MS has allowed the appropriate APIs to be accessed or what but I would LOVE to have it if a third party dev can do it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3