It's September 15th - Mango Day!

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
or it means that they have a plan... and hopefully a big one! if they were to release the date, it could ruin the element of surprise with a big marketing campaign they intend to roll out... by knowing, it loses some luster. or as stated it is as bad as the nodo update, completely unorganized, too many chiefs and not enough indians... we shall see

btw, final point - if MS doesnt get it right with win8 and the apollo update... ill be switching to ios ( secretly laughing) however i have faith, and fromwhat ive seen, this will be the best thing since sliced bread

p.s. - before i would ever switch to ios, MS would have to f*ck up pretty bad, and i would have to save lots of money

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Technically speaking Mango is released... to carriers. Now it's up to them to finish their testing and release the update. I don't think people understand how hard it would be for Microsoft to give a firm release date when every carrier has to finish testing for every phone.

The only way for MS to set a release date is if they allowed every carrier to finish internal testing first. However, that only screws over consumers. Verizon/Sprint only has one phone to test, AT&T has several. Better to allow Verizon/Sprint to release Mango because that puts pressure on AT&T to finish their testing. However, if Verizon is given the option to sit on their hands while they wait for AT&T then that is exactly what they would do.

A lot of people seem to believe that since Apple gives a release date for their 1.5 phones that must mean that every manufacturer does the same thing (and last I checked, iOS5 is still scheduled for "fall"). And 1.5 phones is basically their entire lineup.

Lets look at the others. Google, RIM, Palm, Samsung (Bada) may give a release date for one phone and leave you guessing about the rest. Microsoft is trying to update their entire lineup of phones. That's a bit trickier then say updating just the Samsung Focus and not giving a damn about the Trophy.

By all accounts, Mango is going much smoother than NoDo. NoDo had a lack of communication. This time you're just not listening.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
My husband has gotten so many updates since he got his HTC HD7 a couple weeks ago and another one today but we have no idea if its Mango cause we don't have a computer and he hasent downloaded any of them!

It is the same update, it is just very insistent that you need to update it and doesn't understand why you are waiting!!! That notification won't stop until you do (or possibly turn off the "check for update" feature)

updating just the Samsung Focus and not giving a damn about the Trophy.

I'd be cool with that...

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Technically speaking Mango is released... to carriers. Now it's up to them to finish their testing and release the update. I don't think people understand how hard it would be for Microsoft to give a firm release date when every carrier has to finish testing for every phone.

That's carriers. There's nothing whatsoever preventing them releasing it on a fixed date for unbranded phones and letting carriers know well in advance of when that date is and ensuring they have the software in plenty of time. Then the onus is on the carriers to get their act together and be ready (as many have already, because they did get the software in plenty of time) - and if they fail, then their customers can be irate with them and deservedly so, not Microsoft. And besides, if there's no firm release date, what then? The carriers just get to release it whenever they fancy with no-one really knowing when things might happen? And I'll point out AGAIN that the launch has already happened in some territories, and it's this bits and pieces approach, coupled with silly messages that say "hey, look at this calendar that says when autumn starts!" I find a bit shoddy.

In a nutshell: say something concrete, or don't say anything at all. And definitely DON'T repeatedly say "ooh, it's coming soon!", launch a load of mango apps into the marketplace, publicly encourage devs to update their apps in preparation, let rumours circulate for weeks about a release date unchecked, let finished ROMs leak well in advance of that date and still say nothing, release a load of promo videos about Tango just beforehand, let carriers tell the public they're finished on or before the rumoured date, tell devs to revert to NoDo in preparation to upgrade just before the rumoured date, and THEN on the day of rumoured release wait until the evening to tell people they jumped to conclusions and make out it's all their fault for doing so.

At this point though, I'm giving up. It seems most people want to cut MS a fairly big break and make excuses for them so I'm just arguing for the sake of it. I hope mango is worth it, and I'm sure it will be - whenever it does turn up. Here's hoping it's before Christmas, eh? :)

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
In a nutshell: say something concrete, or don't say anything at all.

They did. They said it's coming in the fall. It's the same line repeated by nearly every manufacturer. If that's not the answer you want then switch to another OS and HOPE it receives an update when all the other phones do.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
MS and Carriers aren't the only ones involved.

There are the OEMs. And MS can't release the update in this region until the OEMs in this region say that they're ready.

MS isn't going to announce a firm date because they don't know if something wrong could come up during OEM testing.

Remember, MS did that with NoDo and it turned into a nightmare when many Samsung devices had trouble updating. And at the time, on the forums people were screaming bloody murder.

MS learned from that.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Im prety SURE OEMs get the update for testing BEFORE RTM`s do.....

carrier = last phase..

im not expecting it to have problems liek NODO..... once AT&T says its ready all phones ( lg , HTC or Samsung ) will get it at same time.

Samsung had a small probloem with the HARDWARE for NODO ..... witch they fix.. i see no reason why it should happen again..

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
There's no reason it should happen again.

But there was no reason it should have happened in the first place.

But that's what testing is for. To see if there are things happening that shouldn't be happening.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
They did. They said it's coming in the fall. It's the same line repeated by nearly every manufacturer. If that's not the answer you want then switch to another OS and HOPE it receives an update when all the other phones do.

*IF* they'd just said "it's coming in the fall" and then nothing else, I'd agree. However, as you may have noticed from the things I listed above, they then said a lot more subsequently that suggested certain things very heavily without once saying "no, this isn't the case". And of course they also went ahead and released the software in some territories (and seriously, how many times does that need saying - THEY RELEASED IT ALREADY SOMEWHERE). So anything they say about when it'll arrive is already nonsense because for some people it has arrived already, entirely legitimately. Do you know many software rollouts that have kicked off with new hardware with the software on in one country, then walk-in software updates in another country, both ahead of schedule, then no information at all for anyone else - not even an update narrowing it down to at least a calendar month given some people *did* get it early?

Also, again - is "if you don't agree this rollout was handled flawlessly, why don't you buy another phone?" much of an argument? MS is a big boy - I'm sure it can take criticism. In fact, I've been to a WP7 focus group run by MS where they specifically asked for criticism and feedback so they could try and improve WP7.

So, you know what? You can settle for whatever a company bothers to do for you. If you're happy doing that, that's fine. Or you can say hey, I like the product a lot, but this could have been better. There could have been an end put to rumours early on to prevent expectations being built up then dashed. There could have been a proper global roll out rather than one plan here, another there. There could have been less nudge nudge wink wink teasing that turned out to be just that - teasing. And hopefully, if someone asks opinions and takes stuff like this on board, things will be better in future. We pay for this stuff, guys - we don't owe companies favours!

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
*IF* they'd just said "it's coming in the fall" and then nothing else, I'd agree. However, as you may have noticed from the things I listed above, they then said a lot more subsequently that suggested certain things very heavily without once saying "no, this isn't the case". And of course they also went ahead and released the software in some territories (and seriously, how many times does that need saying - THEY RELEASED IT ALREADY SOMEWHERE). So anything they say about when it'll arrive is already nonsense because for some people it has arrived already, entirely legitimately. Do you know many software rollouts that have kicked off with new hardware with the software on in one country, then walk-in software updates in another country, both ahead of schedule, then no information at all for anyone else - not even an update narrowing it down to at least a calendar month given some people *did* get it early?

1. It's not really MS's responsibility to keep track of every rumor out there and try to debunk them. Commenting on them just helps rumor mongers to make even more assumptions, and thus, create more rumors. People really do ready way too much into everything.

2. The territories where Mango has launched are working with different hardware. OEMs have likely tested for these territories already. It's not nonsense. It's logistics.

Also, again - is "if you don't agree this rollout was handled flawlessly, why don't you buy another phone?" much of an argument? MS is a big boy - I'm sure it can take criticism. In fact, I've been to a WP7 focus group run by MS where they specifically asked for criticism and feedback so they could try and improve WP7.

I think you're doing more than just saying the rollout isn't flawless. No rollout is flawless.

Instead, you're disappointed by believing rumors and venting about it. But in the venting, you're trying to point fingers and blame someone for how you're feeling.

So, you know what? You can settle for whatever a company bothers to do for you. If you're happy doing that, that's fine. Or you can say hey, I like the product a lot, but this could have been better. There could have been an end put to rumours early on to prevent expectations being built up then dashed. There could have been a proper global roll out rather than one plan here, another there. There could have been less nudge nudge wink wink teasing that turned out to be just that - teasing. And hopefully, if someone asks opinions and takes stuff like this on board, things will be better in future. We pay for this stuff, guys - we don't owe companies favours!

I think you'll look back at this in a few months and feel slightly embarrassed about seeing things that just weren't there.

Speculation makes for great and interesting forum talk. It's also great for driving in blog traffic. But everything needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

MS messed up the NoDo rollout. And in that, they deserved a lot of criticism and blame. But so far with Mango, they have been fine.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Verizon/Sprint only has one phone to test, AT&T has several. Better to allow Verizon/Sprint to release Mango because that puts pressure on AT&T to finish their testing. However, if Verizon is given the option to sit on their hands while they wait for AT&T then that is exactly what they would do.
I wouldn't put much faith in Verizon, they will sit on their hands no matter what. Despite only having one phone to test, we never even got the security update (7392). At least AT&T released it for some of their phones. I'm not sure what MS can do about it if the carrier just doesn't care.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
What's really going to be nice is when AT&T start selling those new Mango phones before they've released the Mango update to current phones. That's when the fan and the **** will meet. Can't wait.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
What's really going to be nice is when AT&T start selling those new Mango phones before they've released the Mango update to current phones. That's when the fan and the **** will meet. Can't wait.
At least you'll have new phones. The grass is always greener...;)

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I've had Mango for a while, I'm a bit tired of it. But playing with new hardware is going to be fun. I *heart* new gadgets.
At least you'll have new phones. The grass is always greener...;)
If Mango isn't out by the time new hardware is released, I'd be happy to sell my Mango Beta 2 Focus for a low price of $500.00 USD. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077