Some (probably stupid) WP7 questions

boss.king

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking at WP7 for my next device. I've done a lot of reading up and watched a bunch of reviews and tours on YouTube, but I still have a few questions about the OS.

1) Do all phones get updates like with iOS, or is it up to manufacturers to decide what updates you get like with Android?

2) Can you open the music controls on the lockscreen, like double-clicking the home button on an iPhone?

3) What does the search button do aside from opening Bing? People never seem to explain it in reviews or anything.

4) Anyone coming from iOS; have you noticed anything you miss about iTunes/iOS? Any good guides for how to make the move?

Thanks, and sorry if these have been asked a hundred times already.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Welcome along to WPCentral boss.king. :)

1. Yes we're all waiting on the next big update called Mango, it's due very soon. Everyone will get it.

2. Music controls can be added to the lock screen in Mango so you can control it from there without opening it if you desire.

3. The search button only opens Bing but when you are in the Marketplace it searches for Music or Apps depending what section you are in. When Mango arrives it will be exclusively used for Bing as in the update, all the different sections have a search icon in them.

4. Only thing i miss is Talking Tom. :)

boss.king

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! I'm wanting to get the HTC Titan, that screen size is just amazing, and WP7 seems like a much better choice than Android at this point.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! I'm wanting to get the HTC Titan, that screen size is just amazing, and WP7 seems like a much better choice than Android at this point.
Yes everyone is drooling over the Titan boss.king, what a monster screen and doesn't look too large when you see anyone holding it.

Only thing that's putting me off is no SuperAmoled screen. I just love that on my Omnia.

It will be arriving in stores here anytime, so I will have to investigate it for sure. :)

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
For no. 4, I still use iTunes and my music/videos/podcasts sync over fine via WP7 connector on the Mac. Can't say whether the Zune software demands you use it for all your music storage, but I'm sure someone else can help out there.

The most fiddly bit was importing contacts. If you have a hotmail account, clear it out of dead contacts BEFORE you activate and sync your phone for the first time. Ditto with any Google account you may want to use. If you're on a Mac, you can then sync your address book and iCal with your Google account and sync that in turn with your phone. It doesn't *quite* match up - I lost all my contact pictures, for example - but if you then hook up your contacts with their facebook details you can pull in pictures from there.

What do I miss? Only two things really - SBSettings from my jailbroken iPhone, and a wider selection of apps/games (games in particular). Both will hopefully improve with mango though, with apps that allow shortcuts to e.g. wifi and more resources available to programmers to improve games.

boss.king

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
It's interesting that you said that Pronk, I use Windows 7 but I love iTunes (probably because it's what I've always used and my friends use) so I would prefer to be able to keep using that for my music. If anyone knows how to do that please let me know how :)

The contacts thing doesn't seem like an issue for me, I have them synced with google, but losing them isn't that bad for me.

Thanks for your input though

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't believe there is any way to sync content on the PC outside of the Zune software (someone please correct me is I'm wrong). Have you tried out the Zune software to see how you like it yet? I personally prefer it to iTunes as its gotten to be somewhat of a convoluted mess over the years IMHO.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
It's interesting that you said that Pronk, I use Windows 7 but I love iTunes (probably because it's what I've always used and my friends use) so I would prefer to be able to keep using that for my music. If anyone knows how to do that please let me know how :)

The contacts thing doesn't seem like an issue for me, I have them synced with google, but losing them isn't that bad for me.

Thanks for your input though

You will have to use the Zune software to do updates and transfer music, videos and photos to your pc but other than that you can use whatever software you like to do other tasks with your media. Just set Zune to monitor the folders your media is stored in and to manually sync and thats all you have to use it for.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I came from IOS, and the only things i miss are a few apps/games. Mango will take care of the other things that im looking forward to having again. You will really dig WP7 once you get used to it, and end up liking it better.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
you will love wp7! it is as smooth as a baseballerts babys butt! and try out zune, i think you will also find you like it better than itunes... i had itunes for a long time and loved its simplicity. however after i switched, i havent looked back. i dont miss anything, reallly...

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Like others said, you will have to use Zune to port music to your phone, but it should automatically pull all of your music into its library after you download without affecting your iTunes. You could still use your iTunes on a day-to-day basis (if you still would like), but then just boot up Zune when you need to mess with your phone.

boss.king

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Cool, good to know I can just use Zune to sync. Maybe I will get used to it, I'll give it a try anyway and see what I think. Thanks for all the response guys :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa